If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The ULTIMATE gear list - best gear that's out there discussion

After receiving a year ago an original Noel Howard Raiders web belt from a fellow collector, and now early this year a Magnoli Raiders shirt from Mitch LaRue (Thanks man!), and just not long ago THE BEST RAIDERS FEDORA OUT THERE by our very own Mr. Schubert sold to me by Indiana Blooze (Thanks to BOTH of you - one for making an incredible hat, and the other for passing it up so someone like me can add it to their collection), I've realized that, without even trying, I'm well on my way towards a truly SA Raiders costume. As one of the black-sheep who, I'm scared to admit, really has never cared much for Raiders, it was not my intention to acquire a SA Raiders costume and all of this just happened "before my eyes" practically.

However, seeing as I have a good start, I'm really thinking about "going all the way" and acquiring the rest of the gear. Again, not much of a fan for Raiders, I haven't done that much research into what the general consensus is for the best vendor for each piece. I know of certain vendors that have the reputation of being the best, but sometimes someone else lower on the list actually out-trumps those highly reputable people.

So I want to find out from you whom you'd recommend for THE BEST vendor(s) out there for the most SA gear for Raiders to get an idea. Some items, such as the Herbert Johnson Poet, is the best for the hat; however, if I decide or cannot acquire one of them, would it still be safe to say that I have as close to accurate costume if I use Mr. Schubert's?

Thanks everyone!

P.S: I also have a person I've been getting to know better whose also trying to acquire a very highly SA Raiders costume. This information would be shared with him to help out another fan and collector in bettering their collection and coming one step closer to the happiness we all enjoy with ours.

djd

Re: The ULTIMATE gear list

There are some great options for SA raiders Feds now. I know Kurts out of the business now but he and Fedoraraiders both make stunningly accuate SoC hats. John Penmans Raiders hat also looks pretty awesome ( in my view better than the AB version). If it would me I'd look no futher than Fedoraraider or John P.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

how about pants?

djd

Magnoli's still look the best but ver expensive IMO

I'm really wondering how Todd's pants will be? I agree that Magnoil's look best for SA.
    "Spending money which we don't have to buy things which we don't need, to impress people whom we don't know..."

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

Have never seen Todd's, he's been planning to make them for long time.
    It's really hard to find the right fabric.

I hear the paris pants are coming back with a more SA special edition mkIII after Easter.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

I agree with djd on the hats. I think John or Fedoraiders have the best (Kurt was in there too but, like has been said, is out of business) in the business.

It gets more complicated for jackets. Tony's Raiders was based on an actual jacket so that's the Grail for me as far as SA. Todd's does a good job at a low price and Magnoli's look good as well. Wested can make a good looking, SA jacket but it's still a bit hit and miss. If you stay in touch and work with them, you can come away with a winner.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

djd

If TNO jackets are no longer available I'd say KTs Wested is the best of the rest by a way. It's getting that ribbed leather though that makes the difference IMO. I think Magnolis pattern needs to be tweaked a bit.

Belts and holsters- hard to beat Wade Egan for quality.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far!

As I've said, I'm the proud owner of one of Kurt's Raiders Idol Grab style Raiders fedoras as sold to me by Indiana Blooze. I still have the intention of posting a thread on it to not only pay tribute to a great hatter and seller, but to also get your opinions on its current look and what may need to be tweaked.

I also agree that FedoraRaiders is just now coming into the spotlight as having the next best thing for the Raiders Streets of Cairo. One of the problems I'm facing is that I just can't get Kurt's leg pulled on reblocking and bashing my Idol Grab into a SOC I've really fallen in love with that look, but can't bear to redo Kurt's fedora as that's why I bought it - I wanted a fedora of his with his handiwork still intact for an investment. And if I go and change anything on it, I've lost that and, as many of you have said, as he's not doing anything with hats anymore, I can't get that handiwork back to the hat. But - FedoraRaiders has THE SOC right now. And he's also got another thing going for him that Penman doesn't on the SOC - he (FR) uses actual HJ felt bodies yet.

As for pants --- hmmm..... if Paris Pants DO come back, all I can say is that I would strongly encourage everyone NOT to look any further for trousers of ANY OF THE 4 MOVIES as you will simply not find more SA trousers out there anywhere! And I've heard rumors that the prices for these trousers are going to be out-of-this-world reasonably priced. I can say all this as I've been doing research on the trousers, fabric, etc. now for 2 years and have evidence to back it up.

Can anyone post the link to KT's Wested? Are there specs of his jacket up on it? I've never ordered a custom leather jacket before, so have no idea how to even go about asking or getting measurements and have been thinking of actually ordering one of Wested's CS jackets in Copper Novapelle cowhide. Also, didn't some of you get straited lambskins from Kurt and have Riley make your jackets from them? How much did the skins cost, as well as the cost from Riley to do this?

Again, thanks to all! Your help thus far has been incredible.

Keep it coming!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

KT has posted pics of his latest Wested in the gear section here. Shouldn't be too hard to find. And, yeah, djd, I had forgotten about it. It does look really good. I wish we could get an update on that leather. If Peter can source the right ribby leather and put it with that pattern, he'll have a true winner on his hands.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast