If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    djd

Re: The ULTIMATE gear list

Todd has just posted pics of his Raiders pants on the production line at his Facebook page. The colour looks great!

djd,

can you, by chance, post the pictures of the pants up on here? I don't have facebook but would be interested to finally see his pants.

Thanks.

bendingoak

I can clear things up for you on one point. I will never use HJ felt. Don't like the stuff. It is really cheap rabbit felt and I won't sacrifice quality for anything.

Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by bendingoak
    I can clear things up for you on one point. I will never use HJ felt. Don't like the stuff. It is really cheap rabbit felt and I won't sacrifice quality for anything.

Nuff said
    I was just talking the use of the HJ for provenance and nostalgia purposes. A lot of people like to have that added nuance of knowing they have a felt that's still attributed to the same hattery yet that made the felts for the films. My comment about Fedoraraider having one more thing going for him than you just meant that. I'm not saying your work fails in comparison just because of that one point - I've seen your work in pictures and I've read tons of reviews to know your standards of quality and I have yet to question your hats, hattery and skills. In other-words, my comment wasn't meant to demean you or your hats. I feel by what "I'm" seeing as tone in your response that you took my comment as demeaning to you. And if you did, hopefully I've explained enough to show that it wasn't.

bendingoak

I'm sorry if my tone came off that way. It wasn't meant to be taken that way. The felt the current HJ isn't like the felt used in the movie. Neither one is that great a quality but I understand why you would want the same felt as the movie.

My post was a response to the yet part. That you hinted that I might get the HJ felt. I could but don't want to use it. It reall is cheap stuff. My hats are to be worn daily not a prop. Living in Oregon I wear hats every day and they have to be tuff to take all the rain. I also want my name to be thought of with the highest of quality and I can't do that with the HJ felt.

djd

I used to have one of the HJs that Steve reblocked on behalf of Magnoli. I don't know much about felt but the finish on that was very smooth in comparison to my rabbit from AB last year. Has the HJ felt got worse since 2007 or can you explain the aspect of it that's poor quality? I'm not for one moment seeking to disagree with you John, I'm just trying to improve my own understanding of felt from its current very low level!

Also I wonder if you could tell me whether it's possible for beaver to be as floppy as rabbit - is that simply a matter of how much stiffener one uses? I guess fans of the raiders hat like the floppiness I associate with rabbit over the apparent stiffness of the CS hats

Quote Originally Posted by djd
    Todd has just posted pics of his Raiders pants on the production line at his Facebook page. The colour looks great!
    Yep photos of oriental folks doing the honors, looks pretty good to me too. Link probably doesn't work though.

http://is.gd/nsYmoj
    I Predict Future Happiness for Americans if They Can Prevent the Government From Wasting the Labors of the People Under the Pretense of Taking Care of Them. <br />—Thomas Jefferson<br /><br />http://nevadanuggethunters.myfreeforum.org/index.php

djd

That link works for me. Ta

bendingoak

First, most rabbit hat bodies don't go into the rollers as much as they use to. Neither does beaver bodies but beaver is much more dense than rabbit. This shows up on the rabbit felt much more.

The other thing about the HJ bodies is that it just has to much air ( best way I can explain it ) in the felt. The felt doesn't see much water in the process. Not good for any long term wearing.

The reason why you like your HJ is because you had Steve working on that hat. He does stablize the body a bit. The same process he puts his own hats but on the HJs it can only take one time. where as on his or my felt we can use this process a dozen time or so. The HJ wouldn't survive but only one time. Signs a poor quality felt to say the least.

Beaver will never be that flooppy because it is to dense. Now it will become more floppy over time but will never be as.

Just got to remember the original HJ Raiders hat was not a quality hat.

I never wanted to make a prop hat but a real high quality hat. I never state my Raiders hat is 100% SA .

I want to make the most SA Raiders hat but make it how it should have been made. Make it so it could survive ggoing on adventure with Indy. there isn't a HJ in the world that could. Not now nor then.

djd

Thanks John! That's about trebbled my knowledge of felt in one go

Out of the very few fedoras I've owned the Henry was certainly the nicest felt on terms of appearance and feel. I've never owned a pure beaver hat. Maybe one day!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast