If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Original Raiders Era Herbert Johnson Hero Hat

Thanks for the update on this. I really like that hat!! Considering its age Its really held up well.

If its possible I'd like too see a couple more shots with it on your head from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Reporting that the original Raiders block height was 140mm high. The felt was 2.5mm thick.
    Great. I thought it was thinner. I'm glad with the crown height confirmation.

I've been checking and triple-checking the hat and transposing all details from this original Raiders Herbert Johnson. So in other words, if you take a hat and measure it from the top of the brim, and deduct 2.5mm, you will get 137.5mm.

I am currently manually tracing every cross-section of this hat, and cross-transposing each section in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (in case there was any warping in the 35 years since it was manufactured) in order to get a complete 3D map of the hat, and therefore the original block. (The block being 2mm smaller than the resulting hat body all over, if that makes sense, due to the thickness of the felt used.) I now have the first cross section - side to side.
    Thumbs up on the forensic CSI exam!!!!!

Interestingly it in no way matches images posted by another hatter on another forum a good 7 years ago, of a hat that he described as a vintage Herbert Johnson. The sides of that alleged vintage HJ were very straight up-and-down.
    If you refer to the same HJ "vintage" I think, it was proved (IIRC, by me) that the hat was a re-blocked one.

However, I have found that my very pristine, vintage HJ's sides actually have a reasonable amount of side taper. That means the original block also had a reasonable amount of side taper, too. So not at all straight-sided.

Yet once bashed and put on your head, from a few different angles, this original HJ totally presents as having a straight-up-and-down look. In other words, in looking at the Raiders hat, one would mistakenly THINK it would have a straight-up-and-down block - but it doesn't. All of which I find FASCINATING.

Next up will be front to back, and then 3 more points in between, so I will have 16 cross-checked curves all together by the time I'm done.
    What is FASCINATING is your commitment to get to true facts, putting a huge amount of time and effort to it.
    Hats off to you, sir.

Looking foward to the 3D block result!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers mate!

PS: curiosity = which is the sweatband width ?
    Last edited by Indiego Jones; 06-11-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Thanks mate - I will let you know.

Hi friend!
    I hope all is well.

Any progress on the 3D map of the block hat?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Yeah, yeah! ��

I've been smashed by work this year. I have planed the block into a cylinder, and have made some cross section templates. I'm hoping that I can finish it over the Christmas holidays.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Great! Looking foward to it!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

If I click the link to this thread on Facebook from my iPhone, it looks like it opens up in Facebook and the images from page 1 don't show up. If anyone knows anything about why this might be, please let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12