If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

ROTLA Film Jacket Leather is...French Plonge

KT will be glad to know I've now owned my first jacket made by Wested. I plan on doing a write up on this is in more detail, but a few observations since I've been wearing it for a few weeks.

1. This NH TOD jacket pattern is the overall cut and pattern and fit of the Raiders' jacket worn on film. If Wested wants to produce an accurate Raiders replica they should use the NH TOD pattern for cut and fit and make the minor adjustments to transform it into the Raiders main hero and imans jacket. Smaller yoke with offset sleeve seams, back panel flaps configuration at the bottom of the action back, smaller zipper, larger pockets, collar stand construction.

2. Ribby merino may not necessarily have been used for the raiders jackets. Dr. Scobie was incorrect in his identification of the striation marks coming from the skin wrinkles from Ribby merino skins.

3. The leather is as indymassilia described. Never felt a softer more luxurious leather in my life. Like running your hands through warm butter. Which immediately reminding me of what Debra described the leather of the first jacket she had made. Super soft. When I got this jacket it was new and the most smooth leather I've ever owned. Since wearing it around the clock and getting it wet and wearing it dry it has exploded with grain and texture and striations like seen on the raiders film jackets. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Made by Wested with french, vegetable tanned, plonge, aniline lambskins provided by Indymasilia. For some background check out these two links:

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/threa...cket-by-Wested

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/threa...Pankot-Palace!

Re: Deluxe Indiana Jones Temple of Doom jacket by Wested

Sounds awesome, neutronbomb! Looking forward to your more detailed write-up (which will hopefully include pix too!).

Teaser.....

If wishes were fishes we'd all have a fry. If horse turds were biscuits we'd eat 'til we die.

wish it were on the right side chest panel

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

glad you like it.

Your comment about changing every panel and it then becomes a Raiders jacket reminds me of a line in Only Fools and Horses a long running UK sit com. Trigger, a roadsweeper, comments he has had the same broom all for many years:

Trigger: And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

As for grain popping out with water, yes it sometimes does, grain is hidden and minimised in the tanning and stretching process, it sometimes returns. I believe the Professor... though not wanting to toot my own trumpet but his observation lifted the veil that had been hanging all these years. We know the characteristics we were looking for but never knew the reason. Ribby characteristic and merino type suddenly allowed several new makers a lead into finding the right type of leather.

Some of the established makers are a bit set in their ways, after all they have been trained to give the customer the smoothest and most consistent grain possible.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Sorry didn't understand any of your post. Possibly trying to be snide there, don't know. But, the leather used on film isn't Ribby merino.

Gosh, easily upset there.

Part 1: Changing patterns makes it a completely different thing. The Raiders hero jacket is not the TOD jacket. Full stop.

Part 2: Yes, the Raiders hero (Jacket seen in full sunlight in front of the flying Wing) it is merino or at least merino cross the evidence is there for everyone to see for themselves.

We will have to agree to differ on both counts.

I have seen and worn the NH TOD jacket, it had no obvious striations on it, unlike the raiders Hero. The closest I saw to that jackets leather was the washed lamb that Wested had at the time.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

No. Just couldn't figure out your post.

1. Your wrong. Putting a smaller zipper or adding larger pockets is not changing patterns. "The Raiders hero jacket is not the TOD jacket." - what are you talking about. You need to learn to be more specific with your sentences. There were three Raiders Hero jackets. Are you talking about all three? WTF. The Raiders Prototype film jacket is the TOD main film jacket. The other two, main hero and Imam is the same pattern with aforementioned changes.

2. Your wrong. The Raiders Main hero jacket that exhibits the bubbles that form a line is not the skin wrinkles from merino skins that you promoted and that dr. scobie incorrectly identified the bubble lines as.

I am not talking about the NH TOD jacket leather. I'm talking about the prototype raiders jacket leather that was used in the TOD film as the main hero jacket along with the other two jackets used in raiders. I have already commented in the TOD thread that the NH TOD jacket leather was not the same.

Interesting that you now say the NH TOD jacket leather was the kind Peter had in his shop at the time when previously you said Peter stated he did not make that jacket. So which is it KT.

1. No I am not, you are talking about making the yoke smaller which means every panel on including the arms change. It's not like some magical 3D mesh that can move like elastic bands.

Your theories are your theories they are have not been proved, grainy VHS caps can't prove anything. The Bantu Wind is one jacket, must be the Concessionaires prototype, if the timeline from Nadoolman is right. I believe this is the jacket used in all the interior shots filmed in the UK. Therefore IMAN = Proto/BANTU = TEMPLE INTERIOR. Then there is the Hawaii and the Flying Wing. Plus the stunts, I do not agree that the stunts are the prototype. I believe that it isl ikely that the stunts are the TOD jackets, or copies thereof.

2) You are suddenly disregarding all the multiple striations on the front of the Flying Wing/Main Hero, not sure why. This has been proved by Kelso and others going to their leather vendors, asking for merino and now being able to match the ribby Flying wing jacket front.

Again, I take the word of a Doctor with sheep genetics as a specialty, with peer reviewed papers.... over any of our armchair pundits views any day.

There are 2 main jackets in TOD one with narrow very rippled sleeves and one with wider less rippled ones (the NH) both are used at the same time, in fact if you watch the final scene with the elephant it cuts from one to another.

I'm saying that the shrunk lamb closely approximates the NH TOD, I never said it originated from there.

Lol. you've missed everything.

The Bantu Wind jacket is not the Imam jacket, totally different yoke. To my knowledge, the Bantu Wind jacket only appears in Raiders at the dock, next to the Bantu Wind. When did this become a debate?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast