If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Episode VII Spoilers Discussion

Have at it!
    But write a line, then hit enter then discuss to avoid spoilers get the sidebar.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-21-2015 at 12:58 AM.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Re: Episode VII Spoilers Discussion

I think the best part of the movie is the new characters. Some truly great moments to be had. Unfortunately it lacked any real emotional depth, even by Star Wars standards. There were no real stakes. Ep 7 plagiarises almost its entire contents, but replaces each with a crappy, faint photocopy with no real depth. Remember in A New Hope, how tense it was that they had to blow up the Death Star in time? Or when Luke looked at the twin Suns? Or when Obi Wan sacrificed himself? Or when Han went into carbon freeze and Chewie reacted? But you don't get any of that here.

Han gets killed in front of Chewie and Chewie doesn't go absolutely ape-shit? Then doesn't even acknowledge Leia afterwards? That just doesn't make sense. It's actually really shit writing for these characters by people who should 1000% know better.

There are more moments, but you get my point, I hope.

Gonna sound like a total nutcase now, but I just got back from a second viewing and left far more satisfied. I think a big part of the lack of impact comes down to the music being WAY too low in the mix. Did anyone else notice that?

That aside, I still feel that there should have been more suspense and more care given to the aftermath of Han's death. Chewie does literally walk straight by Leia and hangs out with some dudes in the background!

Food for thought: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8850324

Anyone else notice Luke seemed to be looking at a grave?
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-22-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

*Spoiler line*

I agree with a lot of your points. Having Chewie walk by Leia so Rey (sp?) could have her moment with her is lazy writing (by the way, I subscribe to the theory that Rey is Han/Leia's daughter). Chewie does react to Han's death, but not forcefully enough. It's like they said "Ok, let's have him shoot a few stormtroopers in anger and then move along." And yeah, there seemed to be a lot more tension with the destruction of the Death Star than in this last installment.

That said, I think that this movie is world's above any of the prequels and has set the franchise back on the right path. I'd actually place it right around Return (where we can see Lucas begin to go off the rails). It's not a perfect movie but it is a very good one imo. Hopefully, now that they've got the set up complete, they can explore the characters more in depth.
    Last edited by crismans; 12-22-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

I agree with most of Gunslinger review.

Too many Ep. IV similarities/inspiration lines.

My complains to the writers: (and I can't believe Kasdan wrote this....)

*Couldn't came up with a different "imperial" threat? A bigger death star !?!?!?!?!?!? Please!!!!
    With a trench that leads to the weak point ?!?!?!?! COME ON!!!!!
    And after a couple of precise shots/bombing ....it explodes AGAIN!?!?!? Remember this time it was actually build on a natural planet, not artificial....

*Everyone knew Ford always wanted to kill Han Solo....could be a better turn NOT killing him? Too predictable.

*The Falcon was stolen from Solo....then stolen again...then...etc...etc. Ends up in Jakku....as the only transportation device available for the fugitives lead characters....
    Don't get me wrong, I love that ship. But can't give us a more believable explanation for it

*Chewie walking straight by Leia after Solo's death...painfull to watch. Literally broke storyline continuity.

BESIDE ALL THAT, I actually enjoyed the movie.
    Is visually perfect. I loved Poe, Rey and Finn characters. Not so much olders.

I need a 2nd viewing.-

Yeah, I'm also getting a bit sick of Star Wars forgiving mass murderers. You can understand Luke trying to save Vader in RotJ - he's a young guy who had finally connected with his Dad. But here? We've just seen Kylo Ren throw down with people killing millions if not trillions, and Han just wants to take him home like he's been on drugs or indoctrinated into a cult? Kind of sends the wrong message about being responsible for your actions, doesn't it?

I've already explained to my 8 year old if he pulls any shit like that he's going to face an Obi Wan / Ep3 type response from me, and he gets it.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-26-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Droid has secret mission of his own! Has stolen plans/map and gets stranded on a desert planet. Meets lonely farm boy/girl who then cross paths with smuggler Han Solo who reluctantly agrees to help them. Enroute to the 'secret base' they make a quick pit stop at giant planet-like Death Star for a quick rescue mission then engage in a race against time to destroy the enemy before they themselves are destroyed. After a brief glance of the structure they happen upon a weakness which is vulnerably located again making light work of their task to destroy it!

Hmmm sounds familiar...Seriously Cheapened the whole experience!!! What a let down!! If it was a remake they were looking to do then they shoulda left out the original characters. In fact they could have told this story without them.

Did I like it? Absolutely! Very well made with strong characters (except Kylo Ren) you can believe in. BB8 is AWESOME! Definitely better the second time around. Kylo is not menacing nor believable. Why the mask?? Does it do anything?? He's a whiny brat who throws temper tantrums. Not much like his Idol at all who remains in control under every circumstance. Not much of a threat.

Sound was lacking in the music and effects department. Could barely hear the music which is EPIC in the OT! Effects sounds were so much a part of Star Wars which seemed to fall into the background in this film. Remember the opening scene in EP IV? The sound was every bit as much of the experience. Distinct laser blasts could be heard between the rebels and Imperials. The sounds of that world were so unique and precise and really identified that world. The attention to detail gave those films life!

I don't want to be a critic and really liked this movie and have nothing but respect for the talent behind it but I do think that demands and time constraints may have interfered with the ability to refine it. They tried to tell too much in a short time which resulted in a few plot holes. Rey, who lives on a desert planet, is a natural at flying much like her (father Luke?) and has the ability to control the force. This is revealed too quickly in this film which makes these revelations feel forced - no pun intended - rather than accepted.

Overall it was a great movie and while I really liked the characters the story was a letdown for me. I feel that it was a sacrifice to reboot the story in a new direction which will be revealed in the next movies. Not an easy task indeed and kudos to JJ for accepting that responsibility. Trying to please the fans is next to impossible and in the end it really is JUST A MOVIE and nothing more!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Just to post that after a second viewing, I think Rey is Luke's daughter (I've seen both theories advanced). But the Luke connection just makes too much sense on a second viewing.

And yeah, the movie certainly has some issues, but I think they had a Heruclean task with this movie and they succeeded far more than they failed. Of course, I went in soooo cautious after being burned on movies I was really hyped for (Phantom Menace? Crystal Skull?) that I may be more forgiving of this one's shortcomings because it was actually a good film instead of a complete letdown.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Everyone's points are correct and well taken. I really liked the movie, and plan to see it again, and buy it on DVD, and buy it's products. (by the way 13min of JOHN WILLIAMS score is online on the JW FAN site thanks to DISNEY's website. Great unreleased action music!) BB 8 is awesome. Daisy is great on screen, as is John B. The story is that of SW ep 4, but fans are eating it up, and it's breaking every record out there for good reason...IT'S FUN! Any scene the falcon is in is my favorite scene. Unlike the prequels, this film has x wings, tie fighters, star destroyers, the rebel theme, lukes theme, Han, Chewie (chewie was especially fun in this film, he's like a loveable big dog that's your best loyal pal) leia, Luke.....FUN AGAIN!

Yes, we SHOULD quibble about storyline. The next one will most likely have a brand new story and story arc, and we are confirmed lUKE SKYWALKER will be in it this time!

Every complaint I have read on here is exactly how I feel....yet........I DON'T CARE! I was entertained, and returned to a Galaxy far, far away. Many people, including myself will see it in the theater again. Most liked it more the second time as the expectations are lower the next time around. I saw it at the Largest 3d IMAX I could find. BEST way to really enjoy a film like that.

The gripes are many, but oh well, it's just one in a series of movies. I liked all the humor, but the FIrst order officers seemed like dumb little kids. Not like the Imperial officers who were more like military men. BB 8's "thumbs up" was fun. Captain Phasma was all but absent from the film, and her character could have been written out without making any difference. The effects were awesome. Rey trying to fly the falcon at first, and not being very good at it at first was cool, as it was kind of out of control for a bit. Han liking Chewies gun was fun! Kylo is not scary, but very unpredictable as to what he might do. He's tormented like Vader on which side to be on.

We can nit pick (as I surely will) but the film was good. The best film ever...nope. Highly entertaining film that makes STAR WARS fun and popular again, you bet!!

Glad it has returned!!

Now Disney, ...you see how bringing out this series of films has worked? There's this series called INDIANA JONES which I'd like you to bring back!
    Last edited by HENRY JONES JR.; 12-26-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Yeah it's funny isn't it - so many of the totally avoidable plot issues seems like nitpicks. But man for a multi billion dollar franchise, couldn't they have just passed the script / edit around a bit?

I will be shocked though if those plot issues continue into Ep 8. Rian Johnson is awesome, with such attention to detail. And us Breaking Bad fans can only hope he passes his script to his sometimes-boss, Vince Gilligan for some notes. Jeez, now that's a dream - leaving Star Wars in Gilligan's hands!

I think the main thing that really hampers it on second viewing is the music / sound effects; and 1000% agree how important they were to all previous films. Here's hoping the mix will be amped up for the BluRay release. I miss Ben Burtt!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast