If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Episode VII Spoilers Discussion

This almost expresses my feelings as I wrote previously http://www.vox.com/2015/12/26/106648...ens-derivative

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Ben Burtt was the sound designer for Star Wars The Force awakens. The sound and sound effects at the IMAX 3d was pumped up pretty good. I wonder if that was a special mix for something of that size?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Wow. I hadn't checked if it was him or not, but that's kind of amazing to me. It sounded equally "meh" at each cinema I saw it at. From the opening blare of horns as the title comes up onwards, it was lacking volume, presence and character. Maybe JJ isn't into intrusive sound effects or score? Weird that IMAX maybe got a different mix / sound levels or something?
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

I saw it today again in Imax, and the sound was good, I noticed Rey's theme a lot more this time, but that may be because I now know it.

it does make more sense now and even the naming of the factions kinda do too now but it does give a slightly sad impression of the Galaxies politics.

ie. The Rebellion defeated the Empire and re-asserted the Republic, however there was still support for the old Empire so there became a power share of the Republic and the First Order. (In any democracy you will get people who support extremists). So Leia became the head of the Resistance as the First Order gained power (not a very well hidden analogue of the Third Reich).

So I enjoyed it more this time and got to appreciate the beauty of the flying, much of it is in the atmosphere of various planets and the interaction of the ships with clouds, water, sand and snow is really gorgeous.

There is one thing....Leia and Rey have never met... so why the hug?
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kt Templar View Post
    There is one thing....Leia and Rey have never met... so why the hug?
    There is quite a bit of internet speculation that Rey is Luke's daughter and that Han and Leia recognized her. Of course, as with all speculation, it's to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

Ah, that might be it. Or Chewie told her who she was. Leia knows they were going to find Rey but that's about it. IIRC. Also it's a big Galaxy so both of them wouldn't have made the connection with the little girl... unless they were trying keep it secret.

It's also worth noting that the person the young Rey is given to seems to be the junkyard owner, Unkar Platt whose part in this might not be as straight forward as it looks at first.

There are a lot of mysterious looks from Han in this, in exchanges with Rey and also with Leia, as if he knows he is going to his fate, maybe there is a spark of recognition of Rey too.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

I didn't go into this movie ready to nitpick stuff, so things like Chewie walking past Leia instead of acknowledging Han's death, went right over my head (though in retrospect, it does seem a bit odd). I guess I was just too gobsmacked by the spectacle of the movie to care about any of those little details. I loved it and look forward to my 2nd viewing this week. (I saw it in 3D this first time, but I think I'll see it in 2D next, just to see how that is. The 3D was pretty good in the movie though; there was one shot in particular of the Star Destroyer filling the screen and it seemed like if you reached out you could probably touch the nose of it.)

Unfortunately, I was spoiled in advance about Han's fate from one of those frakkin' idiots who enjoy posting spoilers like that in social media, so when he went out there on that walkway, I knew he was doomed. I was surprised by the brutality of it, however. Not only was he skewered through the chest, but then Kylo pulled it out sideways. Ouch. I did think Chewie's reaction seemed good enough, though maybe he was just too stunned to react to his full capacity. And he did have to think about getting Rey and Finn out of there as well (not to mention complete the mission), otherwise he may have done something crazy and gotten himself killed too. Anyway, I am glad that Han played such a significant role in the movie. Carrie Fisher also looked pretty great as Leia.

Of the new cast, I loved the new trio, especially Rey -- I thought Daisy was fantastic. John Boyega was great too and pretty funny at times. (As an aside, it was kind of cool that a day before I saw the film, I watched the excellent Ex Machina, which starred Oscar Isaac (Poe) and Domnhall Gleeson (Gen. Hux)). And some of the characters that had so much hype, like Captain Phasma, were barely in the movie. Did anyone see any snowtroopers in the movie??

I also really enjoyed the humour in this film -- humour that was actually, you know, funny, and at times even LOL funny. No one steps in piles of poo in this movie or gets farted on. The audience I was with had genuine laughs and that was great to hear. Things like Han giving the completely-covered-in-hair Chewie a hard time for complaining he was cold. No cringe-worthy performances either. Some of the Resistence people around the hologram thingy seemed like throwaway characters, but the main cast was great. Cool seeing Ackbar and Nien Nunb back too.

As much as I was looking forward to seeing Luke, I kinda liked that he was part of this "where is Luke" mystery. Though we only saw him in the last 30 seconds of the film, it was a nice set-up for the next one -- will he begin training Rey in the ways of the Jedi, or will he resist because of what happened to Kylo Ren? (And that was one beautiful location too). Also interesting that the one shot of Luke placing a hand on R2's dome from the trailers, wasn't actually part of the movie proper, but part of that overwhelming vision that Rey had (which also featured the voices of Yoda and both incarnations of Obi-Wan, though I missed all of 'em!).

Finally (for now!), it was a bit odd not having the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning of a Star Wars film for the first time, though I'm grateful they didn't put the Disney castle intro into it.

Oh, and for those who felt the music wasn't showcased as much as it should have been, it should be noted that John Williams' score for the film is quite superb -- got the CD for Christmas and I'm on my 3rd listen right now.

Okay, saw it again this morning, and I think it's even better the 2nd time!

One thing I will correct from my post above is that Kylo Ren didn't yank his lightsaber out sideways from Han's torso -- I guess I misremembered that. Still...ouch!

Also, can't remember who pointed this out earlier, but yes, it does look like Luke is standing over a grave at the end. Another couple of things that occurred to me:

1) When Han & Leia see each other for the first time in x-number of years, he remarks she has a new hairstyle, and she (mistakenly, or perhaps jokingly) says he has the same jacket. Then Chewie comes over and gives her a big, long hug. I think it would have been a nice moment if she, while smiling in that hairy embrace, had said, "Same Chewie." Both times in the movie I kept waiting for her to say something like that, but she never did.

2) And then near the end when Rey returns to the base and she and Leia embrace, I keep feeling that a quiet, heartfelt "I'm so sorry" from Rey would have been appropriate -- both to let out her own emotional reaction on the tragedy and her condolences to Leia's loss. But what do I know -- perhaps the silence was enough. I did think it was a nice touch that Leia has clearly honed her Force sensitivity over the years, as she felt the moment Han died.

And I still think one of the funniest lines was Han's remark to Chewie, "Oh really, you're cold?"
    Last edited by JeffDJ; 12-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Definitely better the second time around! I really do like this movie despite my earlier nitpicks but I really don't want to watch another remake so here's hoping the next two will be original!!

I'm sorry JeffDJ but the soundtrack is lacking for me. I've listened a few times and there's very little that 'grabbed' me like the OT did. I feel that John Williams is taking it easy with this.
    There are a few sweeping moments but over all I don't feel that there are any distinct themes that interweave throughout or stand on their own. Most of the soundtrack sounds the same!
    For instance in the OT each scene seemed to have its own score; The Jawas, Trash Compactor, Tie Fighter Attack, The Final Battle etc. How about The Battle in the Snow, The Imperial March, Escape From Hoth, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's theme, City in the Clouds, etc. Jabba's theme, The Sail Barge, Ewoks, the Forest Battle, Luke and Leia, and so on! Each a VERY distinct score for the particular scene which one can identify from the first two notes. I feel that this soundtrack doesn't give us that type of variety. It feels like the same score throughout!

Honestly I'm not trying to be a critic and this is only my opinion. Maybe I'm too old to appreciate it the way I used to. It really is a leap above the prequels by any stretch...

I understand what you mean about many scenes the OT having their own score. By comparison, TFA is a -- well, I won't say generic -- modern score, which I did like, but you're right, there aren't really any thematic pieces that stand out like those classic cues from the OT. I think Rey's Theme is really the only one that comes close.

On another front, I found this article about 27 questions from TFA that are answered in Alan Dean Foster's novelization:

http://mashable.com/2015/12/29/force...k#xucS6AZ8LPqb
    Last edited by JeffDJ; 12-30-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast