If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Most Authentic Fedora for each Films?

Hi all, I'm relatively new here and just wondering if it possible to buy an authentic fedora at all still nowadays for each film?
    The original poet block has gone walkabouts and Herbert & Johnson has now been integrated with Swainey. I hear people don't agree with their blocking still.
    I'm not too sure that the makers of TOD and LC still exist?
    Apart from the fact that the only Screen Authentic hat that is still left will be CS's Adventurebilt?
    There are numerous vendors that make a very realistic version of each film and I know there are numerous discussions of felt/ribbon use but other than adventurebilt's what other authentic hat options are there for the films or is this another "loaded" question...? Is there still that pride of owning an authentic Indy fedora (for ROTL, TOD & LC) apart from Adventurebilts?

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Re: Most Authentic Fedora for each Films?

STEELE & JONES makes great hand made Indy fedoras.
    Last edited by HENRY JONES JR.; 03-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Henry, I am aware of the vendors and am very impressed with their work but I'm more interested as in which Fedoras would be regarded as the more authentic models?
    ie it's understood H+J did the fedoras for temple as well as LC with a Borsalino felt - are they still available? And would these hats not be regarded as more authentic versions? I don't hear much hype about these?

Brave Starr, Herbert Johnson provided most, if not all, the fedoras for the original Indy trilogy. There are talks/rumors that Stetson had a hat in ToD and LC but since there are no documents to corroborate these claims, I believe it's not true.

If you were to order a Poet from HJ today, you'd receive a very tapered average quality hat, nothing close to any films in the trilogy. I own a ToD era Poet that is identical to the film used hat, and it's far from being Borsalino type felt. Much stiffer and thicker. Keep in mind that leftover Raiders hats were used in both ToD and LC.

As far as accurateness goes, here's my favorites:

1. Schubert Hats for Raiders: Although Kurt has stepped away from the hat hobby, he made the most accurate Raiders lid I've ever seen, I own two. His hat block is identical to the one used for Raiders and customer reviews and comparison shots prove so. If you can pick one up second hand, DO NOT hesitate to buy it immediately. It'll be the best investment in a hat you can make.

2. Steele and Jones for Raiders: I'm saving my pennies for one of these puppies. Diego has custom sourced a lightweight screen accurate rabbit felt for his hats that looks amazing. A few members here have posted photos of his HJ Replica hats and they all scream Raiders. Definitely consider Diego if you're looking for a SA Raiders lid.

3. Fedoraiders for Raiders: Jason's hats absolutely nail the Cairo look. Like Kurt, Jason no longer produces these hats, but second hand hats pop out on eBay from time to time. Definitely a great hat if you're looking for a Cairo Raiders lid. Also, Jason uses the modern Sable rabbit felt from HJ.

4. Penman Hats for LC: Although I've never owned a Penman, I like his LC block. Very accurate and you're getting a well made, tough hat from John. If you're after an LC, consider ordering in Rabbit vs Beaver. I feel beaver is too stiff to carry the LC look correctly, but that's just my opinion.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Don't know too much about these guys but I sure like the looks of their Cairo hat http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/p...3n4g7ajssbd6j5

That is a fine looking hat. Loving the curves and colour, looks quite solid.

Thanks for the info Indydude: Some great lids out there... sigh... just too bad nothing is sacred anymore, no originals. Oh well, it gives plenty of people/vendors the opportunity to perfect it.