If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Satin or Cotton Sleeves?

Hi all,

I've recently received a remade jacket where they mistakenly changed the requested cotton sleeve lining for a satin lining. I asked for cotton as I understand it to be more SA, breathable and warmer than satin?

I live in NZ so it can get chilly in winter.

I'm able to return it however I'm tired of the back and forth...

Does anyone know of the pros and cons of each? I believe Ive read somewhere that satin don't last that long?
    Should I bother sending it back again? It's a fantastic jacket otherwise and they said they'll only reline the sleeves which is fine if they do as the jacket fits perfect.

Thanks!

Re: Satin or Cotton Sleeves?

When I bought my Wested jacket a few years ago, I got the satin sleeves (I think that was the default or recommended option). I don't wear mine during the cold winter months here, but I gather the satin makes it a little easier to slip your sleeves in and out than the cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDJ View Post
    When I bought my Wested jacket a few years ago, I got the satin sleeves (I think that was the default or recommended option). I don't wear mine during the cold winter months here, but I gather the satin makes it a little easier to slip your sleeves in and out than the cotton.
    Thanks JeffDJ - have you found the satin sleeves to be durable? I don't imagine that changing from satin to cotton sleeves will change it into a winter (or drastically warmer) jacket?

I did some further digging it seems the satin does wear a bit faster than cotton.

http://indylounge.proboards.com/thre...r-cotton-satin

However I would assume the satin would also be warmer as the cotton is breathable?

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

I have two Indy jackets. One lining is satin, and the other is more like a thick rayon. I've had cotton lining before, but for me, personally, In the real world, I like the satin or rayon, as with cotton, your sleeves with a shirt or a sweater, will tend to bunch up, and it's uncomfortable. It may not be SA, of that I'm not sure, as there are other experts here that can tell you about that, but when you have satin or rayon, on if it wears faster, it may depend on the thickness of it too. I don't see cotton being warmer than satin or rayon. I don't have any proof of it, but I've worn both of my jackets, and they are both comfortible, and warm! If you got really overheated wearing your jacket on an adventure, or got wet, I'd also guess that the cotton would soak up sweat and make it wet and cold faster than satin too.

I have had both. I live in Canada and know a little about cold weather. Personally I prefer the satin sleeves. In fact I wouldn't get cotton sleeves at all if given the choice. As already mentioned it can be very uncomfortable when your shirt sleeves bunch up inside. Temperature wise I don't notice a difference between the two. I just wear long sleeve shirts in the winter. As far as the body goes the cotton is more durable in my experience. Hope that helps

I've had my jacket for 3 years and I haven't noticed any wear on the satin sleeves. And as far as SA goes, who's going to notice but yourself?

Thanks Jeff, Ram and Henry for the advice. Very true no one will notice re the fact that its satin on the inside, satin would be the logical choice seeing there's no apparent difference in warmth. I will probably be wearing it more casually for dress purposes than an 'everyday' jacket wear so hopefully that will give me more years of use of nominal wear on the satin. Will put up pics soon too!