If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Choosing a leather jacket

Hello all,

I re-watched Last Crusade a couple of weeks ago and for some reason was impressed by the jacket and decided I needed one like that. I soon discovered there is an overwhelming number of models and leather finishes, and the expertise of some forum members is just beyond imagination which is why I'm asking you for help in choosing mine.

I think I'll buy from Wested as the prices are reasonable and they seem to be good quality. I don't much care about screen accuracy; durability, fit etc. are higher on my priority ladder.

Fit: I have a rather muscular torso and tapered waist, and don't want a baggy jacket.

Leather: In addition to durability (a decade or more), I'd like to be able to wear it year-round in moderately warm climates (London summer, Greek spring etc). I've been thinking about Wested's Antique Lambtouch. Does anybody have any experience with it?

Thank you.

Re: Choosing a leather jacket

When ordering to Wested the Crusade style,don't forget to ask these special request to fit a more screen accurate jacket :
    -NO leather facings ( with the zipper).
    -NO X-BOX stitch for the leather side straps.
    -i prefer a black or very dark brown color for the cotton(or satin) lining (body & sleeves).
    And for the zip,my Tony Nowak fitted the SA zip,i mean a YKK N°5,brass color but nickel slider.
    You can ask Rebecca if possible to send you some leather samples...washed lamb can be a good choices too,less heavy than the antique lambtouch wich is cow..

Quote Originally Posted by indymassilia View Post
    When ordering to Wested the Crusade style,don't forget to ask these special request to fit a more screen accurate jacket :
    -NO leather facings ( with the zipper).
    -NO X-BOX stitch for the leather side straps.
    -i prefer a black or very dark brown color for the cotton(or satin) lining (body & sleeves).
    And for the zip,my Tony Nowak fitted the SA zip,i mean a YKK N°5,brass color but nickel slider.
    You can ask Rebecca if possible to send you some leather samples...washed lamb can be a good choices too,less heavy than the antique lambtouch wich is cow..
    Hey,
    I think Wested's comes with no leather facings unless you request them. But, actually, why no leather facings (aside from SA, which is the least of my priorities)? I'm afraid that with no facings it would cause that wavy effect along the zip line which I'm not too keen about.

Until yesterday I thought I was set on the Hero. But after reading some more, I realized that jacket is a pain to get measurements for: no one knows for sure what back length to choose etc. So maybe it'll be a TOD in shrunken lamb... I'm still unsure.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

The only standard models that come with the facings is the off the rack Raiders or ROLA and the LC/CS.

The LC/CS is based on their ones they made and sent to Pollack when bidding for CS, and this in turn was based on the archive jacket they were shown (which I am now convinced was a Disney/Cooper, the double shoulder stitch only ever appeared in that licensed jacket previously). That has facings as did the Nowak that eventually won the contract. They also has the overstiched back arm seams and hem, which is not SA for CS or LC but that is what they did.

Personally I don't mind them on the LC/CS, but I don't feel I need them on any other jacket, the waviness is part of the charm
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Quote Originally Posted by Kt Templar View Post
    The only standard models that come with the facings is the off the rack Raiders or ROLA and the LC/CS.

The LC/CS is based on their ones they made and sent to Pollack when bidding for CS, and this in turn was based on the archive jacket they were shown (which I am now convinced was a Disney/Cooper, the double shoulder stitch only ever appeared in that licensed jacket previously). That has facings as did the Nowak that eventually won the contract. They also has the overstiched back arm seams and hem, which is not SA for CS or LC but that is what they did.

Personally I don't mind them on the LC/CS, but I don't feel I need them on any other jacket, the waviness is part of the charm
    Is there a consensus as to which one of their models is the "best"? I'd like something rather snug than loose. Rebecca said the TOD was the most "tailored" but I don't know what that means exactly (tapered waist? tapered sleeves?).

I would've picked the Hero, but that other thread with everyone claiming you should order a longer back length, then other people saying theirs came too short, really is discouraging.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

The problem is that the jacket is a short jacket. It hits around the top of the hips or maybe a bit below. The design of the length matches with pants that have a high rise with the shirt tucked in. This way the jacket ends up hanging like 3" below the belt line with a normal length, not too short like a cropped jacket appearance. It also works for some of the modern short jacket looks like with some of the modern short rise jeans and a short t-shirt or tucked in cowboy shirt or something.

However, I suspect most who are saying the back came too short is because they are wearing pants with like a medium rise which are probably the standard in today's pants. Now the jacket doesn't fall the 2 or 3 or so inche's below the belt line and gives it a too short appearance when it's not desired. Especially when wearing a an untucked t-shirt or shirt that hangs down to the bottom of the hips. Nothing wrong with an inch or two hanging below the jacket, but when it looks like 3 yards of shirt hanging below the jacket it can look a bit absurd.

And that's the problem. Indy doesn't look like he's wearing a cropped jacked, but people do when they wear one with their everyday clothes. Of course, the way to get around this is to order a jacket with a longer length than the standard proportion of what Indy's jacket is. I don't know, like 2 or 3 inches longer. That doesn't complet ruin the Indy jacket look. Or find a jacket with the length you like that goes with what you wear everyday, I'm guessing for most that means an untucked shirt that goes down to mid butt, measure from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the jacket from the back, and use that measurement for the back length. Knowing ahead of time that the jacked is going to look longer than the way Indy's fits him. I think personally it looks weird having all this length of jacket in the front with then these patch pockets way down low.

My dad ordered his jacket that way. About mid butt and I cringe every time I see him wear it. As soon as the end of the sleeves start getting close to lining up with bottom of the jacket when worn, it just looks wrong. But, my dad could care less. He likes it just fine and that's how he wants it.

With all that said. I'm guessing for you being 6' with an athletic build, that a 26" length would be what your after. That'll also streamlines it a bit. With a wider jacket for a bigger type guy paired with the regular dimensions of the SA length adjusted for the height of the individual, it starts looking very square and boxy. It looks streamlined on HF because he is quite thin.

Also, you mentioned wanting a durable jacket lasting at least a decade with everyday use. That might be pushing the limits with going the lambskin route. Especially if hauling around Christmas trees. It could be that what you are looking for is a US Wings or G&B in light cowhide or goatskin.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-09-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I just can't see why the jacket needs to be made any longer than dead-on screen accurate and still look perfectly in keeping with modern clothes.

I don't ~think~ I'm nuts am I?

Excusing me for whacking my ugly mug out there again in shots I've posted before, but this just doesn't look that short to me. It is what it is.

"Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Neutronbomb, your explanation makes good sense. I like to wear my pants more or less 2 inches below my navel, so definitely mid-rise.
    I'm around 5'9'' but with a relatively large upper chest (makes it a hassle to find shirts that fit). Maybe I should order it like your dad, with the sleeves the same length as the back. As I said I don't care much about SA.
    How about Wested's in goatskin or lambtouch, in terms of durability? I'm just worried something heavier than lamb would be too hot to wear in the summer.

Gunslinger's jacket looks very good. However I'd prefer mine slightly longer. I guess that's just personal preference. Between the two following fits, I prefer DiCaprio's.
    http://www.newamericanjackets.com/wp...er_Jacket1.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2dbeQQoFmp...Armani%2B2.png

What leather did you choose? Is this shrunken lambskin? Did you do some distressing to it?

Any info on how different in fit the TOD is compared to the Hero?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

The TOD is a slimmer fitting jacket in my experience.

Gunslinger that's a great fit! Looks perfect to me and SA as to how an Indy jacket should fit.
    I'm currently waiting on a remake of a hero jacket so will post my findings when it arrives.
    I was looking at a TOD jacket as well due to the slimmer fit.

The whole sleeve/ back length ratio thing has me perplexed as I've seen jackets with longer backs than the sleeves yet the sleeves fall longer anyway.
    Ie:
    http://indylounge.proboards.com/thre...t-pull-cowhide

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast