If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    World Traveler Knight of the Round Table

Re: Choosing a leather jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Starr View Post
    Sounds like Tony makes a better raiders jacket then? Truer to the Raiders cut?
    I understand he's no longer with us but does his company still exist and/or makes jackets still?
    Next best is going to be Bill Kelso MFG for a Raiders jacket. Theirs is called the "Relic Hunter".

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

...or Steele & Jones, who very faithfully duplicated the Nowak.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Hey guys,
    thanks for your input so far. Finally after realizing how tricky measurements for the Hero are to take, I've decided to pick a Wested ToD. Is there anything specific I should pay attention to while ordering? What's the back length that was used in the film?

Hey Genius,

I personally have no idea what the measurements are for the original TOD jacket- you will just need to take your own measurements so as to make sure they fit you! Have a chat with the Westd staff. From my understanding the TOD is a slimmer fit and won't be as complicated a cut/measuring as the Hero. Good luck

I just received a shrunken lamb TOD from Wested. I like the leather a lot, but the cut is kind of weird: you can wear the jacket "on the shoulders", in which case the back panel (quite wide) looks like a loose curtain, or "off the shoulders", in which case the collar sits a couple of inches off the neck and the front end of the jacket projects forward like a ship's figurehead. The action pleats also look weird and bunchy...

Also, the 23.5'' sleeves are a bit too long for my taste, but I think I read somewhere lambskin can shrink a bit more. Any idea what kind of treatment (slight distressing and shrinkage) I can subject my jacket to?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Any chance for pics to show what you are describing?

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Any chance for pics to show what you are describing?
    I can only take pictures with my phone so it's a bit complicated. It looks a bit like this, and I'm probably exaggerating a bit. Overall the fit is good. I'd just like for it to be a bit more tailored, and I like the sleeves to stop at the wrist bone, and these stop at the knuckles. So if you know how to make them shrink just a bit more, I'd gladly hear it.
    Last edited by geniusoftherestoration; 03-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Notice how the cuffs are folded under without any stitching. Typically they are glued or just folded under. In the past I have just either folded them up more to make them shorter or unfolded them to make them longer. I wet the cuffs and press a new seam into them which also removes the appearance of the old seam. I have done this to several jackets without a problem. The leather will quickly acquire a new memory after a couple of wears.
    Last edited by Ram Man; 03-06-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Notice how the cuffs are folded under without any stitching. Typically they are glued or just folded under. In the past I have just either folded them up more to make them shorter or unfolded them to make them longer. I wet the cuffs and press a new seam into them which also removes the appearance of the old seam. I have done this to several jackets without a problem. The leather will quickly acquire a new memory after a couple of wears.
    Great idea, but what about the lining? And how do you separate the two faces of the cuff that are glued together?

The lining is stitched to the end of the cuff which would prevent you from rolling it right to the bottom. There will be excess lining when you roll it up which can usually be tucked up the sleeve. The two faces of the cuff will just pull apart fairly easily.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast