If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: Choosing a leather jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I just can't see why the jacket needs to be made any longer than dead-on screen accurate and still look perfectly in keeping with modern clothes.

I don't ~think~ I'm nuts am I?
    Yes you are! because when "normal" people other than us put on an Indy jacket and find their bum exposed, they freak out
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-10-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Looking at that last image from Neutron bomb it sits quite high (taking in consideration his action). Its hard to imagine all the HF jackets were all the same sizes as there are some discrepancies from scene to scene.
    Also the back panel seems nice and wide on that still; meaning I wonder how much the back panel size (essentially the size of the jacket) contribute to the fall of the jacket on the back and sides.
    A smaller size jacket will have smaller shoulder lengths and thus reduce the "hang"/ length of the jacket? Or have I got it all wrong?
    I think I'm diverging here from the original question here...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geniusoftherestoration View Post
    What leather did you choose? Is this shrunken lambskin? Did you do some distressing to it?
    Lamb, sort of, and sort of. A bit of a story to those questions/answers:
    http://www.fortuneandglory.org/threa...ro-quot-Jacket
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Starr View Post
    The whole sleeve/ back length ratio thing has me perplexed as I've seen jackets with longer backs than the sleeves yet the sleeves fall longer anyway.
    Ie:
    http://indylounge.proboards.com/thre...t-pull-cowhide

... Its hard to imagine all the HF jackets were all the same sizes as there are some discrepancies from scene to scene.
    Also the back panel seems nice and wide on that still; meaning I wonder how much the back panel size (essentially the size of the jacket) contribute to the fall of the jacket on the back and sides.
    A smaller size jacket will have smaller shoulder lengths and thus reduce the "hang"/ length of the jacket? Or have I got it all wrong?
    When he was given the actual Raiders jacket to copy, Tony Nowak was the first to note that it had been made "wrong" - that the collar had basically been cut out too deep into the back panel (and also thus had a smaller back measurement of 23"), so when you put it on, it will sit higher at your waist when it's touching your neck. As it was badly cut to a human's frame, it meant that it will always want to fall backwards. When it does this, it hits your waist area properly, but splays out funny on your torso / shoulders, and creates a gap at the back of your neck.

This is why the jacket looks like it is longer and shorter all the time in the movie.

It's also part of what's so freaking cool about the Raiders jacket.

From what I've heard, when Wested then in turn copied Tony's copy, they made some pattern tweaks. I don't know why they did this. But long story short, from the reviews I've read where people say stuff like it's tight in the shoulders or armpits, that seems weird to me, as the Nowak Raiders jackets don't fit like that. It also throws off the whole very simple rule to ensure a perfect (real) Raiders jacket fit, which is that the front length should be the same as the back. (My jacket above is 24.5" front and back.) That's not normal, but works perfectly because of the above pattern screwup of the original.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 02-10-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

@bravestarr. I didn't mean the actual measurement in inches of the length of the sleeves compared to the actual measurement in inches in length of the back panel. Plus, the sleeve seam is lower down on the jacket than the back of the collar. I just meant that when worn, in general by most people, the proper raiders look is when the sleeves hang past the bottom of the jacket by the right amount i.e. the ravenbar photo I've posted previously and have included below. Also, in the compare below you can see the two jackets that are used throughout almost all of the movie.

Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-11-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Yes you are! because when "normal" people other than us put on an Indy jacket and find their bum exposed, they freak out
    The one thing about this picture is that it is bunched up towards the collar making it appear shorter than it really is. The yolk and the side pleats are sitting on top of the shoulders.

Yes, of course that's not exactly where the length of the back is going to fall when Indy is standing perfectly upright with his arms hanging down. It was more in the spirit of a meme to go along with my response to gunslinger and to highlight why I think people put on their brand new Indy jacket and "feel" that it is too short

However, check out the compare Ram Man alongside the screen grab in question below.

For those interested in the debate about length, check out the long back strikes back thread. Just an fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    The one thing about this picture is that it is bunched up towards the collar making it appear shorter than it really is. The yolk and the side pleats are sitting on top of the shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-11-2015 at 01:32 AM.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

If you look at the back of a jacket you'll realise that the nape of the neck is higher than the tips of the shoulders. Add to that the shoulders of a Raiders are slightly wider than the wearer, this accounts for the apparent discrepancy were even if you had both lengths the same, the cuff would still fall below the bottom of the hem.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

What Gunslinger says about the odd cut of the Raiders jacket is true, however the thing is w
    every Indy jacket in size for ford has the back length about the same.

Just remember to Pop that collar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    When he was given the actual Raiders jacket to copy, Tony Nowak was the first to note that it had been made "wrong" - that the collar had basically been cut out too deep into the back panel (and also thus had a smaller back measurement of 23"), so when you put it on, it will sit higher at your waist when it's touching your neck. As it was badly cut to a human's frame, it meant that it will always want to fall backwards. When it does this, it hits your waist area properly, but splays out funny on your torso / shoulders, and creates a gap at the back of your neck.

This is why the jacket looks like it is longer and shorter all the time in the movie.

It's also part of what's so freaking cool about the Raiders
    Sounds like Tony makes a better raiders jacket then? Truer to the Raiders cut?
    I understand he's no longer with us but does his company still exist and/or makes jackets still?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast