If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

ROTLA Imam Jacket (2 of 4 jackets used in Raiders)

« Last Edit: August 5, 2011 by neutronbomb »

This update finalizes where I believe The Imam Jacket is used in the movie. The only significant changes to the time stamps are removing the Jump the Pit Stunt with Martin Grace, Hawaii Temple Exit Dive, and Hovitos Chase/Swim the River from the Imam Jacket and adding them to The Prototype Jacket thread. However, The Imam Jacket is still used in part of the Temple Exit sequence, specifically where Belloq takes the idol from Indy and have updated the time stamp to show this as #7 below.

In order of appearance in the movie (In order filmed is Imam's House, Temple, Tunisia, Hawaii):

1. Hawaii Approach to Temple Entrance: 00:00 - 4:09 (Ford)
    2. Temple Entrance/Spiders on Back: 4:09 - 5:11 (Ford)
    3. "Stay Out of the Light" (Except for the last sequence of the scene titled: "Where Forrestall Cashed In"): 5:11 - 5:30 (Ford)
    4. Out Before the Lock: 9:02 - 9:07 (Ford)
    5. Dead Satipo: 9:07 - 9:21 (Ford)
    6. Boulder Run: 9:21 - 9:38 (Ford)
    7. Hawaii Belloq Confrontation (takes idol from Indy): 9:41 - 10:44 (Ford)
    8. Imam's House: 46:38 - 49:28 (Ford)
    9. Cab Fight Bullet Hole Forward/Truck Chase (With the exception of the "Through the Window", "Truck Hood/Grill", and "Truck Drag" stunt scenes):
    1:26:21 - 1:27:15, 1:28:18 - 1:29:04 (Ford)
    10. Truck Hood/Grille: 1:27:16 - 1:27:17, 1:27:19 - 1:27:30, 1:27:32 - 1:27:39, 1:27:42 - 1:27:42 (Ford)
    11. Truck Drag: 1:28:05 - 1:28:07 (Ford)

« Edited: October 16, 2010 by neutronbomb »

Prequel: Fortune and Glory's Indiana Jones Jacket Write-Ups

I maintain there were three jackets used in the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Film. I'll be attempting to show that this is so primarily in three different threads in Fortune And Glory's jacket section: The Imam Jacket, The Main Hero Jacket, The Prototype Jacket. What I'll be doing is listing the scenes that feature each jacket, in their respective thread, and then showing feature(s) that identify each jacket uniquely and showing those feature(s) and how they appear in the scenes they are featured in.

This Imam Jacket thread is the first one of the three listed above for me to attempt to do this. I refer to it as The Imam Jacket because it was first used during film production in the Imam's scene which took place at Elstree. Please don't hesitate to offer feedback. I say The Imam IS..... THE JACKET..... used in the following scenes with the time stamps of the scenes the jacket is used in:

1. Hawaii Approach to Temple Entrance: 00:00 - 4:09
    2. Hawaii Temple Exit Dive/*Hovitos Chase: 9:38 - jump in the river (The Main Hero Jacket possibly used in the Hawaii Plane scene)
    3. Temple Entrance/Spiders on Back: 4:09 - 5:11
    4. "Stay Out of the Light" (Except for the last sequence of the scene titled: "Where Forrestall Cashed In"): 5:11 - 5:30
    5. Jump the Pit Martin Grace Stunt (Possibly The Prototype Jacket): 8:38 - 8:39
    6. Out Before the Lock: 9:02 - 9:07
    7. Dead Satipo: 9:07 - 9:21
    8. Boulder Run: 9:21 - 9:38
    9. Imam's House: 46:38 - 49:28
    10. Cab Fight Bullet Hole Forward/Truck Chase (With the exception of the "Through the Window", "Truck Hood/Grill", and "Truck Drag" stunt scenes):
    1:26:21 - 1:27:15, 1:28:18 - 1:29:04
    11. Truck Hood/Grille: 1:27:16 - 1:27:17, 1:27:19 - 1:27:30, 1:27:32 - 1:27:39, 1:27:42 - 1:27:42
    12. Truck Drag: 1:28:05 - 1:28:07

*I'll likely be updating and moving the 'Hovitos Chase' sequence from #2 above to The Prototype Jacket thread.

I maintain that in each scene that The Imam Jacket is in, it is the only jacket featured in that scene. Same for the other two jackets. The exception is a few stunts where the stunt appears within a scene's framework. The jacket used primarily for these stunts is The Prototype Jacket.

Though there isn't much to go on visually, I currently lean towards The Imam Jacket for the "Jump the Pit Martin Grace Stunt: 8:38 - 8:39" and The Prototype Jacket for the "Well of Souls Falling Statue Stunt: 1:14:17 - 1:14:26". However, with the "Jump the Pit Martin Grace Stunt", it looks like The Imam Jacket on film, but The Prototype Jacket in the promo picture and with the "Well of Souls Falling Statue Stunt", it doesn't appear there's a full bi-swing and it looks like it has a lower yoke seam which suggests The Prototype Jacket, but possibly The Prototype Jacket was in Tunisia during filming of the "Well of Souls Falling Statue Stunt"?

I feel it is fortunate that there is one feature of The Imam Jacket that is a dominant one, very easily seen, and that appears and shows itself in every scene where The Imam Jacket is featured, even in the heavy action sequences. The other two jackets used in the Raiders of the Lost Ark Film do NOT share this feature........ ever, at anytime. When it displays itself within each scene it is a unique identifying feature to The Imam Jacket specifically, we can identify it as such, and it opens up the rest of the features of The Imam Jacket in that scene for use as identifying features also.

So the first identifying feature from the jacket's (Harrison Ford's) perspective is the right side "Zipper Swoop". The way the top half presents especially and how when it's laying open it "swoops" in and then back out near the top. The Main Hero Jacket and The Prototype/Bantu Wind Jacket NEVER present this way.

For instance, look at this photo of one of theman's jacket and the shape his zipper makes. This is the feature I'm talking about. ONLY the zipper shape on theman's jacket. Used as a visual example for the "Zipper Swoop" I am talking about in regards to The Imam film jacket.

Now here is that zipper feature as it appears in every scene of the movie that The Imam Jacket is used in. Note that this is just to get us started and to try and lay out my presentation style and show a very common and easily identifying feature of The Imam Jacket and how it presents itself through the different scenes of the movie where The Imam Jacket is used. However, the collar shape, the way the collar behaves and appears and presents, the collar stand, etc. are also of course identifying features that can be used in conjunction with the zipper feature as part of the identifier. Again, this is JUST one of the identifying features of The Imam Jacket.

If you feel so inspired, please feel free to post others that you feel are also identifiers. I've spent a long, long time on this. I have a thousand or so individual frames saved. For over a year I've likely averaged at least a few hours every day analyzing them. Many days, much, much more. The only one I'm personally NOT a FULL 100% on is the Hawaii, but I do believe The Imam Jacket was used for the Hawaii scene and I'm still going to try and show it to see what everyone thinks as we progress through all of this. And there are some real difficulties that lie ahead. Optical illusions are a mess. A real.......mess. Seeing through them, taking them into account, and then explaining them is something I'll have to figure out as I go. I say this last paragraph to let you know that this isn't something I just slapped together and I wanted to put it out there for context and perspective. This represents well over a year of really hard work. But, it doesn't mean I'm right. Feel free to tear it apart. Attack the idea or the logic or the conclusions.

Below are screencaps of The Imam Jacket's "Zipper Swoop" identifying feature; identified by the name of the film scene it appears in:

Imam:

Temple Entrance/Spiders on Back:

Stay Out of the Light (note, this is not the last sequence of the scene titled: "Where Forrestall Cashed In" where The Main Hero Jacket is worn):

Jump the Pit Martin Grace Stunt:

It looks to me that the promo picture below is The Prototype Jacket that Martin Grace is wearing and the screencap of the actual film stunt is The Imam Jacket. I guess I'm either wrong on the identification of one of them or Martin Grace used The Prototype Jacket to practice with or something and then switched for the actual stunt on film. Note: In the promo picture Harrison Ford is wearing The Main Hero Jacket.

Out before the Lock:

Dead Satipo: Total of 3 screencaps (with two hawaii's and an Imam sandwiched in between for comparison):

Hawaii scene zipper gap compared to the two Dead Satipo photos above:

zipper swoop comparisons between jacket worn in the Hawaii, Imam, and Dead Satipo film scenes:

Boulder Run:

Bullet Hole Cab Fight Forward: The entire 2nd half of the Truck Chase Scene Starting with the Bullet Hole in the Arm:

Hawaii: (A quick note on the jacket used in the Hawaii scene. This may not represent the very best zipper swoop. However, it is to show that the jacket used in the Hawaii scene does present itself in a different way than just the collar laying flat and notice that the zipper also does lay open. Notice the jacket's right side collar is standing up and shaped and presents in the exact same manner as The Imam Jacket shown in the other scenes pictured above.)

Here's a better one showing the zipper swoop:
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 05-16-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Re: Iman's

contributing to the thread

ohhhh......you mean Imam no? btw...."Imam" means wise man/elder....at least thats what my iranian employee tells me

sorry NB.....head or gut? i'll take gut please....
    currently on day 9 of my "20 days in the cooler".

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb
    [IMG]http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20SCENES%20-%20IMANS/205-1-1-1.
    I love this jacket in the top picture at the Iman's, in it's relaxed state it hangs at just the right height (for my liking at least).

Would love to get a jacket just like this one one day ...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

So far I'm on the same page with you, Bryan.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Yeah well that's the easy part.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

So lay it on me, mate.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Re: Imam's

Thanks Nefarious. Are you sure about the head or gut? I've a heard a nice, solid shot to the liver makes you rethink your whole life's plan

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

Re: Imam's

It would help ifyou told us what do we see in each phoo (which feature of the jacket that is)

Re: The Imam's Jacket

Thanks for the suggestion Platon. Done. Please see the first post of this thread; I have updated it.

Re: The Imam Jacket

It looks like we have some great threads coming up.
    I always thought the Imam jacket was the Hawaii jacket too. I hope I'm not being a pest, cause I always come to this: I think I also see, all along the movie, different pleat depths in the Raiders jackets.
    I'm too lazy to do some homework on my own (honestly, I feel overwhelmed when I see the amount of work this kind of thing needs... Wow), so I'll let you investigate it (maybe I should say, 'ask you to investigate it'), Neutron... That is, if you are also interested in this particular feature, of course.
    Regards,
    Rask

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast