If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Raiders jacket help & advice wanted

As a relatively new convert to collecting jackets, I'd like to try and get some advice on obtaining a screen accurate Raiders jacket.
    I've invested in several Westeds (shrunken lamb, authentic seal brown lamb, goat, lambtouch) and ordered a Steele and Jones (cow), none have been IT.

Wondering were to go?
    Bill Kelso striated lamb? or grainy lamb?
    Wested again?

or any other suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Re: Raiders jacket help & advice wanted

You're asking the question that all of us jacket guys have asked again and again. It's somewhat subjective as to what jacket scratches what person's itch (and there's still debates as to what's SA--see the leather debate going on right now). . I've owned a lot of different jackets (not as many as some but A LOT). I've never had a Kelso and it is very tempting. But, oddly enough, the jacket that scratches that itch the most for me is my Todd's. I had sold it to NB and practically begged him to sell it back to me. He kindly agreed and it's back home with me. So I think I would go with that first as it's (ironically) the cheapest of the reproductions out there. But, the newest batch Todd's has, while having wonderful grain, doesn't have the bubbly striations that most of us are now in love with around here. So you're going to have to go on the used market and get one of his jackets from the previous batch (2012-2013?). You can call Todd and find out when that batch was made and ask when he's getting another order that might have the striations.

It's very easy to fall into the mindset (and I've been there myself) of needing to spend big bucks to get THAT jacket. Seriously though, you can get really close with a todd's for a lot less cash than some.
    Last edited by crismans; 05-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Thank you Crismans for replying, and pointing me in a direction I hadn't considered.
    Very grateful for your advice.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

One thing to take into account, well two actually. None of the jackets you can buy 'look and feel' Indy right out of the box. Many are just too new. Conversely, if a jacket 'feels' super drapey out of the box chances are that a year down the line they will have lost all shape and you will have to start again.

So, firstly of the jackets you have bought have you actually worn them for a season or so to break them in? (the costume department on Raiders and ToD basically did this by beating the hell out of them).

I am totally biased towards Wested, Peter is a mate, and he can dial in a fit for me. I can't fit in an OTR jacket. The only thing he hasn't cracked is the ribby merino in the normal lamb weight and correct colour. I feel that the shrunken lamb replicates the density and drape well and develops a good deal of character, but the colour is a little too warm and light. Their standard authentic lamb gets shunned by a lot of people but distressed correctly it is awesome... TheCharacter was wearing one today at work and it looks really great.

The Hero pattern is really the one to go for if you are looking for a ROLA vibe.

Steele and Jones do a good jacket too so I wish you luck with them.

I didn't rate the Todd I had but that was an early one.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I really like the Wested hero in shrunken lamb. Although it doesn't have the striations it has bags of character out of the box, it's tough and has a great Hawaii jacket vibe... I like the steele and Jones in the striated lamb. The only downside is it's a little fragile.

I'll let you know what the Kelso is like when it arrives!

Thanks KT. I love my Wested hero jackets, and your right about me just wearing one to let it develop it's own character.
    I'm really impatient and suppose that I was after the quick fix of a Raiders 'out of the box'.
    Appreciate you replying.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you djd on the Wested hero in shrunken lamb.

Looking forward to seeing your Kelso.

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy1 View Post
    As a relatively new convert to collecting jackets, I'd like to try and get some advice on obtaining a screen accurate Raiders jacket.
    I've invested in several Westeds (shrunken lamb, authentic seal brown lamb, goat, lambtouch) and ordered a Steele and Jones (cow), none have been IT.
    You can change your S&J order to Ribby Merino, and you will have IT.
    Accurate Raiders pattern plus THE original leather.

Soon (once we run out of this Merino skins) I will provide substancial info about why the Ribby Merino we offered was THE leather.
    We will not offer this again, so those who have "chosen wisely" will have their reward.
    Cheers.-

Hi Indiego,

Thanks for replying. Sorry didn't mean to sound as if I wasn't looking forward to receiving my S&J (because I am). We discussed the options of the Merino and the lambtouch cowhide when I ordered. You explained the situation with the Merino, and although excited about the lambtouch, it's slightly tempered by missing out on one of your Merino jackets as I understand that you won't be providing that option again.

Cheers.