If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fifthchamber

My Hero project....Distressing on a Hero (Seal Brown Lambskin)

Hi all.....

Well....I'd been building up to it for a while now....But I'd always loved the gradation of colours I'd seen from people whose jackets were either old enough to show wear well, or had been run through the sandpaper line some...And yesterday, I decided that I really could use a new project to keep my busy during winter this year...

So, I decided to buy some fine grit sandpaper, and see what happened....The results I've gotten, so far, are rather good I feel, so I wanted to share some of the better photos I'd gotten last night...

This is the result of 3+ hours of slow work, using various paper grits, in small strips of about a centimetre wide and about 5 long, to ensure that I can hit just the spots that I wanted to wear out, and no others...It took a long time, but it seems to have worked decently I think...

I started with lower numbers...160 grit paper to take the top off the leather a touch..Then, using 2000 and 4000 grit, I reinforced the sections that I was working on, to make sure it wasn't just single lines of "damage", but a whole "worn in" area....The 4000 doesn't really do much, except work into the fading already in place, so the 2000 grit was used more to reinforce the stronger faded areas, then I'd lightly go back over the area with the 4000 cloth...

I focused on areas that I'd consider get most use in my other jackets....The lower seams, the pocket flaps and hip area, the straps and buckles, and the shoulders, and then using the 2000 I went back over the elbows, shoulders, and chest area lightly...This seems to have done what I wanted to do, and has given the jacket a rather decent "well worn" look in the areas I wanted....I was worried it was a touch "too much", so I went very slow, and very soft, using the movie as a rough guide to what look I wanted....(Although I don't think the movie was "realistic" in the zones they faded either....It seems a touch more random, more for look than "reality"...No bad thing, but I wanted a good mix between them both)..

Once I felt I was "done" for the night, after about 3 hours, I laid the jacket out, and Pecarded the whole thing again before hanging it up to dry overnight and today in the sun....

I'll see what that leaves me with once the Pecards is absorbed, but I'm happy with the effect as it stands, and also a touch worried about overdoing it....The "hook" is easy to "sink in"....And I wanted to watch that..Enough is enough..

I'd welcome any other ideas and places to work on! I may, I may not do more....But this is all from last night's initial foray.....Let me know what you think?

Pocket before I'd worked on it to compare the changes

How it ended up..

The collar front

Front of the jacket before Pecards application

The front after the Pecards..

The back after a decent Pecards bath...

Let me know what you all think....I suspect it's just about right..But any ideas are more than welcome!

Warm regards...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: My Hero project....Distressing on a Hero (Seal Brown Lambskin)

I think the distressing looks very good. The collar looks like it clashes a bit with the front chest panels and back panel/yoke. I know you don't want to go too far, but some quick scrubbing on the back and front of the jacket body might help with the blending in a bit.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

It looks great - I agree with NB - I think you need to put it on and rub the upper chest area as well as sleeves to create an all-over worn appearance; rather than the detailed areas only if that makes sense.

It's hard to find good shots showing the distressing in Raiders, but here's one that may help.

r43.jpg
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

I've been told that rubbing with fine wire wool is good for distressing the top surface without chewing it up to much - haven't had a chance to try it myself but guess it would also be good for grading in the worn effect in the borders between sanded and unsanded areas.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

The one gunslinger provided is pretty good. Here's a few others I grabbed quickly of only The Main Hero jacket, not really the best quality but gives the idea.

fifthchamber

Bloody great responses.....Thank you all for the opinions offered....

I'm caught really..I agree...Entirely, that the collar DOES indeed stand out some...And that it means there's a balance that's not quite "on" there...My rationale for doing it this way is that actually, the chest wouldn't really be as worked in "naturally" as the rest of the areas I chose....

We crawl, sure, but when crawling, we raise up with our arms at all chances we have, to raise the chest off the ground....Unless you're being "hoovered" along the ground face first...Your arms should be there to raise you up, naturally, and protect the face.....
    That said, yeah...The movie version DID indeed go with the chest scrubbings a touch....So....There's a choice to make...

In fact...What I did last night is probably about "right"? I added a touch more "general wash" on the left chest panel, to match it better with the slightly worn right side...And went back over the right using very hi-grain papers (4000)....This seems to have added a touch to the chest, while not making it look like I've tried to do anything there at all..

I think the balance is about right between the movie and "reality", considering what I think would be "reality".....I'll have some photos of it in the next couple of days again, and post them here when I have put them on Photobucket...

You guys rock, solid advice, great screen shots that I can now go back over the film with and recheck, and wise advice that I've taken on board....Even if I may not do it quite the same as the movie's version.....I'll show you when I can...

Thanks guys...I'll owe you a beer the next time you're here in Tokyo!

Soaking the jacket in water in the bath tub then hanging it up and letting it dry out naturally is a good technique for bringing out the natural grain of the leather and making it look worn in. Put it on a few times while still damp to get it moulding to your frame - and if you hang it up on a coat hanger use a thick one with a towel wrapped over it to avoid leaving marks in the shoulders. Finish off with a coat of leather treatment once its dry. Takes a few days at room temperature but I've always thought it was worth it afterwards.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by makeitjones View Post
    Soaking the jacket in water in the bath tub then hanging it up and letting it dry out naturally is a good technique for bringing out the natural grain of the leather and making it look worn in. Put it on a few times while still damp to get it moulding to your frame - and if you hang it up on a coat hanger use a thick one with a towel wrapped over it to avoid leaving marks in the shoulders. Finish off with a coat of leather treatment once its dry. Takes a few days at room temperature but I've always thought it was worth it afterwards.
    +1 on this. It's usually the first thing I do to a jacket. I've been known to put my jackets in a Nowak bag (a pillow case works just fine as well) and run it in a wash machine on gentle cycle with no detergent. Then let it dry naturally as MIJ described. Really pops out the grain and just makes the leather look worn.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

fifthchamber

Quote Originally Posted by makeitjones View Post
    Yeah....I know....I did that already....I usually do it a few days in after buying the jacket, and I've found it to work nicely each time....But this wasn't about bringing the grain out so much...There's only so much I can do with that on this skin type....
    I'd done that, so wanted just a touch more...
    Thanks though..

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

I've also heard that a Scotch Rite pad (is that what I'm thinking of?) can be used to distress without really breaking the surface of the leather. Probably wouldn't do for any major distressing but should work fine for some light finishing work.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast