If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Re: My Hero project....Distressing on a Hero (Seal Brown Lambskin)

What I do, is every welt in the leather where the stitch lines are, I pinch it as tight as I can, and work it like that up and and down the welt. Then, I go back the way I came. It gives it a well worn, vintage look! Plus, it's no longer stiff in those stitch welts. It bends easier. It takes some work, and your fingers can get sore from the pinching, but it sure looks great! I do it to all my jackets, and it looks really like a well lived in vintage jacket! Sometimes, depending on how it's tanned, it can give the sanded appearance without sanding. It just depends on the way the leather was treated. The stitch welts will look a bit more like "shrunken leather", and will look great!

-HENRY JONES JR.

fifthchamber

Quote Originally Posted by crismans View Post
    I've also heard that a Scotch Rite pad (is that what I'm thinking of?) can be used to distress without really breaking the surface of the leather. Probably wouldn't do for any major distressing but should work fine for some light finishing work.
    Hmm...Yeah..To roughen the skin just a touch..Abrasion....I agree...But I think the 4000 grit cloth I bought worked as well as that would..Perhaps with a more "even" finish...But maybe not....I'll have a go!

fifthchamber

Just wanted to update this a touch..

I've not worked much more into the thing...More kind of solidified what I was working on before, but I think the balance now is just about good....I brushed down the chest a touch more, and reinforced the wear on the pockets, and seams...It's not so bad now...

Front, zipped..

Back..

I think I'm about ready to stop....Three days of pondering, and working over it...But that's about "done"? Right?

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HENRY JONES JR. View Post
    What I do, is every welt in the leather where the stitch lines are, I pinch it as tight as I can, and work it like that up and and down the welt. Then, I go back the way I came. It gives it a well worn, vintage look! Plus, it's no longer stiff in those stitch welts. It bends easier. It takes some work, and your fingers can get sore from the pinching, but it sure looks great! I do it to all my jackets, and it looks really like a well lived in vintage jacket! Sometimes, depending on how it's tanned, it can give the sanded appearance without sanding. It just depends on the way the leather was treated. The stitch welts will look a bit more like "shrunken leather", and will look great!

-HENRY JONES JR.
    I do the same thing to all my jackets as part of the "breaking in" process.
    It really does help the jacket look and feel more weathered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12