If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Exclamation Is there a way to get a too large fedora to fit

I have a question. I bought a akubra fed IV (fantastic hat the way), and it's my size, but it fits so incredibly loosely, that it's too big for my head. It's a bit odd to me, as my other fedoras in size 58 fits well. I'm guessing Akubra's hats come a bit on the larger size.

I have the grey clipper hat, and the shape is perfect (perfect bash etc.), and should look sharp, and not warped, or mishapen in any way, as it's a dress hat for suits when climbing about China Clippers etc.

My question is, is there a was to shink the hat a tad? I tried getting it wet without ruining the shape, then drying it with a hot hair dryer to shrink it. It looks like I never did it, and it still is too big. I put in some scap felt behind the quality leather headband in the back and up front and it fits a little bit better, but it's still too big.

Any suggestions on shrinking it a bit?

Re: Akubra federation deluxe iv heritage fedora

No advice for shrinking the hat, but what about this?

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i...products_id=69

Quote Originally Posted by KidHuevos View Post
    No advice for shrinking the hat, but what about this?

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i...products_id=69
    Thanks KidHuevos. What I'm doing is similar to that, as I added felt already, but perhaps this might be better., as it's actually made for it. Thank you!

First I'm trying to stretch a hat too small, now I'm trying to shrink a hat that's a little too big! LOL!

Anyone else have suggestions for shrinking the hat?

Turn the band out and dampen it, the inside particularly, with water along the entire length and depth. Leave the band turned out and set it directly over a lamp with a (lit!) incandescent bulb of 75-100 watts. The heat will shrink the moist leather. Check it every 10 minutes or so for fit. Repeat as necessary if the band dries but the fit is still too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Turn the band out and dampen it, the inside particularly, with water along the entire length and depth. Leave the band turned out and set it directly over a lamp with a (lit!) incandescent bulb of 75-100 watts. The heat will shrink the moist leather. Check it every 10 minutes or so for fit. Repeat as necessary if the band dries but the fit is still too loose.
    Thanks for the tip Mac. That sounds like that might work. Thanks!

If anyone else would like to chime in on this, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion, as I value them. You all know more than I on these things.