If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Exclamation Fullers earth: How to apply it to a fedora & where to buy it

I'm making a STREETS OF CAIRO fedora, and have no idea how members here acually apply the Fullers Earth to the hat. What do you do? Use your fingers? Use a brush?

Also, where can you buy it? Can you buy it at a local store? If so, what kind of store? I'd like to buy it locally, and not on the computer, as I want to start this project ASAP.

Any help, answers, or suggestions are welcome!

-HENRY JONES JR.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

Re: Fullers earth: How to apply it to a fedora & where to buy it

'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Bugs View Post
    Thanks Indiana Bugs, but I've been all over the computer, and it's given me no answers on where to find it locally. I was hoping to not have to buy it on the computer if I can help it. If not, I'll order it online.

Any suggestions on how to apply it?

I bought some Fullers Earth from Todd's in my last order. I haven't used it yet myself so don't know the recommended application technique.

I was surprised by the instruction label. Not sure if it's overkill or not, but they're going on about not getting it on your skin, always wear goggles, gloves and a particle mask or respirator! I mean, if I have a hazmat suit lying around, should I wear that too?? Also, there's one ingredient that could ignite near an open flame. On another label it says that according to the State of California, it contains a chemical known to cause cancer. Geez, I'm almost afraid to open the jar! Might be safer to just grab some dirt on the side of the road!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Don't use fullers earth. I think that it's a myth that it was used on the Raiders hat. The "dirt" is clearly different tones.

When I was making hats I used dry artists pastels. IMO its the only way to get it dead-on in both colour and control of the pattern. Use light grey on the ribbon and you can nail the "sweat" pattern, mid browns around the brim break, fading out to sandy tones on the rest.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

Much more controllable. With fuller's earth continuity, from shot to shot, would have been next to impossible I'd guess.
    Interesting from my experience last week is that members of the costume department would just come around and apply paint to things like boots and belts to get them looking how they wanted. Just regular artists paints

Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Don't use fullers earth. I think that it's a myth that it was used on the Raiders hat. The "dirt" is clearly different tones.

When I was making hats I used dry artists pastels. IMO its the only way to get it dead-on in both colour and control of the pattern. Use light grey on the ribbon and you can nail the "sweat" pattern, mid browns around the brim break, fading out to sandy tones on the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by djd View Post
    Much more controllable. With fuller's earth continuity, from shot to shot, would have been next to impossible I'd guess.
    Interesting from my experience last week is that members of the costume department would just come around and apply paint to things like boots and belts to get them looking how they wanted. Just regular artists paints
    Dry Artist pastels? Is that some kind of chalk artists use? Dry meaning it's not something water is added to, so it's not wet? I guess I don't really know what that is. Do you use a brush to apply it?

I want to learn. Do you have a photo of one of your finished hats, or a photo of the kind of paints? I'd LOVE to do this!!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Yeah, just the dry ones that look like chalk sticks covered in cellophane wrapper. I can't remember the brand, but you can get them in a huge range of tones. I found the easiest way to apply them is to just "draw" on the hat directly. You get the hang of it after a while and can achieve a lot of effects. Examples of an SoC hat below.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Yeah, just the dry ones that look like chalk sticks covered in cellophane wrapper. I can't remember the brand, but you can get them in a huge range of tones. I found the easiest way to apply them is to just "draw" on the hat directly. You get the hang of it after a while and can achieve a lot of effects. Examples of an SoC hat below.

WOW! GUNSLINGER! That is totally bad ass!!! Holy Geeze that looks great!
    Your amazing!

Does the dry paint tend to get on things if you touch the hat?

My fedora won't look as great as yours, but I'll do my best. Any last suggestions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast