If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Making your own Raiders Jacket - any advice?

Has anyone any experience of making their own leather jacket?

My local leather supplier (www.leprevo.co.uk) recently got 14 sacks of New Zeland Ribby Merrino skins and is selling them at £6 each. The quality is variable but it's got exactly the right Raiders pebbly / ribby grain and at that price I was willing to wade through a couple of sacks to get 6 decent skins out, which should be enough for a jacket.

They'll need to be soaked and stretched then dyed so it's a long term project but I feel like a challenge. Figure I can use my Westeds as templates and tweak any measurements as needed. Plus I've invested in an old heavy duty Singer hand crank sewing machine which are apparently pretty good for leather work.

Any advice from out there? I'm expecting a steep learning curve but any pitfalls to avoid or benefit of experience to offer?

I suppose another option is stretch and dye myself and then see how much Wested charge for a custom if you supply the leather. If anyone has tried that option how much did it cost?
    Last edited by makeitjones; 06-30-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: image file not displaying

Re: Making your own Raiders Jacket - any advice?

That was supposed to have a shot of an example skin - here it is, it's their special offer No 1219.

Ever so ribby...

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

Well, an approximate ready recconer for the amount of skin you will need is approx 1 sq foot to 1" of chest size for your jacket. I expect that jackets normally need about 40 to that is just an easy way of saying it. Maybe allow a bit more for experimentation.

Fascinating project. Do you know what sort of dye you will be using? The fieblings type stuff might not be right as it comes in such small bottles.

People soften to want a warm brown core to the leather and then a 'authentic brown' outer so you might investigate a 2 stage dye. A bath of warm brown to soak to the core and then a spray or topcoat of darker brown for the surface. Also for the sealer Id go for a matt or semi matt if that is possible.

All JMO! Good luck!
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Thanks for the advice - might get a couple more skins just to be on the safe side.

The shop stocks the full Fiebings colour range in the 32oz bottles so my rough idea was to find the right colour then soak / stretch / trim the skins and immerse them so they are dyed right through.

I've recently been dyeing some veg tan tooling leather holster blanks with various Fiebing colours and I'm finding they go darker than expected but have lighter shades coming through where the leather flexes. It's a nice antique effect but from some tests on the Merino it seems to take the dye more evenly but comes out a lighter colour than expected.

One of the guys in the shop is an expert on dyeing so I'll pick his brains as to what's suitable - they've been doing huge orders for Game of Thrones over the past couple of years so I should be in good hands!

Guess it's going to be a learning curve in a lot of areas - first on the list is making a stretching rack.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

I actually bought some ribby leather and had a custom made. I expect if you gave them the leather they'd do you a good price. That is if they think the leather is good enough to use that is.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak