If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

World Traveler Louisianna James's Avatar

Differences between Vintage 80's HJ felt around TOD & LC era and Modern HJ poet felt

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone has comparison pics between the Vintage hj felt around the era of TOD and LC made by Swales, and modern hj felt made by Manning and how does the color looks. And i also wonder what other indy hat would closely resemble the 80's TOD and LC era felt vintage hj felt, i know for sure that adventurebilt, and penman is the closest probably. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Louisianna James; 02-21-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Re: Differences between Vintage 80's HJ felt around TOD & LC era and Modern HJ poet f

Hi Gunslinger, i was wondering if you had Vintage HJ sable felts body from the TOD LC era, and if you also have a modern HJ sable felt from advintage, magnoli, replix, and todds, to compare with and post some pics, thanks in advance

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Re: Differences between Vintage 80's HJ felt around TOD & LC era and Modern HJ poet f

All I have anymore is a HJ from the late 50s, another from the late 70s and a current Steele & Jones, sorry. I do have to say that I used to make hats from the same supplier that HJ, Christys, Magnoli and perhaps replix (if they use modern HJ bodies) all use, and the S&J are a closer match than they are in terms of the quality of the felt itself, though a tad thicker. (TOD hat was very thin but kind of cardboardy not spongy like modern hjs) The colour difference is negligible.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Hopefully that makes sense. Typing On an iPhone.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

im typing on an iphone 4s, sadly not an ipad , i saw from this website called jones-jr.com(probably french or italian) using google translate for this image it says that the felt was thinner and the sable was slightly brighter than the modern one probably the closest one to that i guess is the movieshop light sable christy adventurer with a quantity of 2 on stock with my headsize (61 cm) or s&j like you said, but i believed that s&j is more on raiders era felt. I knew a member here that got a HJ poet from swales b4 he retired, i know his username is DeWayne and another which is EazyBox from raven.theraiders.net(not sure if he's a member here), i wonder if DeWayne still active in this website so i can ask him to post photos of his HJ poet from Swales, Thanks Gunslinger for the infos and tips you gave me i appreciated it
    Last edited by Louisianna James; 02-26-2013 at 04:32 AM.