If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: Real Screen Accurate Last Crusade Fedora with accurate ribbon vinatge style

Here's the ribbon on my Marc Kitter AB Deluxe. It's dark brown though in the photo it looks more black compared to indydude18's. From what I know Marc Kitter uses the real deal vintage stuff from the guy who still manufactures it the same way as the old real deal vintage stuff. I did a compare photo of it to the one on indydude18's 1984 HJ. Also below is a photo of the ribbon Gunslinger used on my 1940's-50's era SOC fedora. He said the ribbon was dark brown vintage rayon/cotton, "Original Cury felt, vintage dark brown cotton/rayon ribbon". To my eyes the ribs look the same width on the AB Deluxe/84 HJ compare while the ribs on the cotton rayon ribbon that Gunslinger used on my 40's-50's era HJ looks a bit wider than the other two. But I don't know. I'm still trying to get a handle on this ribbon stuff myself.

Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-16-2013 at 06:05 PM.

bendingoak

NB, I'll try to explain. Im not saying the ribbon this guy has on his hat isn't good quality or it isn't vintage. I'm just trying to figure out if this is the StuffIt from the same guy. The Indy ribbon was 100% rayon, had less content then most blends of the time about 20% less then blends. The most common used rayon/cotton 50/50. and the pattern is just one way to tell.

I can't tell from a photo if Indy dudes ribbon is rayon, cotton or a blend but from the ribbon count, it doesn't match the ridges from the Indy ribbon. Doesn't mean it isn't vintage or isn't good. Again, hard to tell from a photo. Gunslinger ribbon is a blend and the Indy ribbon wasn't a blend.

NB, put a ruler to both ribbon and count. That will tell you but again. The Indy ribbon wasn't a blend.

NB, I notice something. Are you sure that first hat is Marc's? The ribbon looks like it but I never seen mark sew on a ribbon like that nor the sweatband. I know his work and that doesn't look like his.

World Traveler Louisianna James's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Here's the ribbon on my Marc Kitter AB Deluxe. It's dark brown though in the photo it looks more black compared to indydude18's. From what I know Marc Kitter uses the real deal vintage stuff from the guy who still manufactures it the same way as the old real deal vintage stuff. I did a compare photo of it to the one on indydude18's 1984 HJ. Also below is a photo of the ribbon Gunslinger used on my 1940's-50's era SOC fedora. He said the ribbon was dark brown vintage rayon/cotton, "Original Cury felt, vintage dark brown cotton/rayon ribbon". To my eyes the ribs look the same width on the AB Deluxe/84 HJ compare while the ribs on the cotton rayon ribbon that Gunslinger used on my 40's-50's era HJ looks a bit wider than the other two. But I don't know. I'm still trying to get a handle on this ribbon stuff myself.

Wow cool pics, the bottom looks like the Cairo bash, and Indydude's ribbon kind of looks a few mms bigger than your ABD ribbon and somewhat brighter.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Ok bendingoak. I did the best I could. Here's two more with tape measure shown. I have to say I'm confused at this point as the rayon/cotton on the HJ vintage "50s" from gunslinger comes in with more ribs per square inch than the ABDeluxe with the "indy ribbon". I'm getting like 29/30 with the ABDeluxe and like 32 with the HJ vintage "50s". And I'm getting like 34/35 on indydude18s. So I'm clearly not getting something here. Also, two more super close ups of the ribbon strands of the ABdeluxe and vintage 50s HJ.

You have a good eye though. Yes, It's an ABDeluxe that Marc made, but it tapered severely and I couldn't get ahold of Marc at the time so I sent it to Gunslinger for a reblock. We decided to turn it into a Hawaii scene hat. Here's where I told the story http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forum...BD)-Hawaii-Hat and here's the thread for the vintage HJ "50s" fedora http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forum...-Monkey-Fedora

ABDeluxe on top, HJvintage50's on bottom

ABDeluxe on top, HJvintage50's on bottom

bendingoak

Not all vintage ribbon was made the same. That's why I asked what the count was. It's clear to me that the ribbons are all vintage or vintage like but not all are the same. And the ridges is only one aspect of telling if it was the Indy creen used ribbon. It is not. Ridge count is off. There are other ways to tell but I couldn't tell them without having it in my hands. I went with the easy one first, the ridges. One more thing.

John, how many ridges are we looking for for it to be like the screen-used hats? Or is that a secret?

Check these out, these came from another vintage HJ clipper hat of mine. Is this closer to the ribbon you're talking about?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

bendingoak

It looks like vintage ribbon just not the SA Indy ribbon. Remember, like a steed it is only one part. Even if it did have the right ridge count doesn't make it he right ribbon. Just a starting place.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indydude18 View Post
    not really a poet, but it's a great tod hat. Here's my vintage hj from about 1984.

oh no!! Where's the pictures??

Well......SUPER bored at school, I should be paying attention but what the heck, semester is almost over. I wanna show you guys this Herbert Johnson Poet, build date of 1981, kept at Herbert Johnson and shipped out to it's original owner in 1982. I bought it from the original owner, who said he has kept it in the box since receiving it. IDK about that because the crown is REALLY low to be a Raiders Era Poet, looks very tapered or maybe that is the crown shape of this particular hat. Original Sable Cury felt, soft sweatband, good quality ribbon.....hat feels like the fellas at Herbert Johnson still cared about making a decent hat when they made this. The photos I took are horrible, but they were quick shots right after I had received it.

Anywho, enough of my blabbering, here's the hat:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

THE RIBBON IS TIED WITH TWO PIECES, NOT ONE? There ARE variations!

GREAT HAT!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123