If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: Let's see your STEELE & JONES Cazadora '36 Raiders Jackets

I'm afraid that's not believable Diego as Platon aka bill kelso says tanneries don't work with clients to develop anything custom

All kidding aside, it's great news that you have an in country tannery to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    I'm afraid that's not believable Diego as Platon aka bill kelso says tanneries don't work with clients to develop anything custom

All kidding aside, it's great news that you have an in country tannery to work with!

Not trying to disrespect Kelso or Platon, but I don't know what they were referring to.

A very good and close friend of mine, used to have a tannery as family business.
    Funded by his father during mid 70's, until 1998 when went out of business (bankrupt)
    He told me many times (I used to torture him about tanning process, coloring the leather, etc...) how clients always insist in having the very same leather (texture, color, finish) in every batch, for years. He says that is impossible, but they kept asking for.
    Also, he remembers many clients bringing samples of leathers or garments from other countries, asking for the same thing to be done here.
    And this was ussual.
    I think that is working together.

Of course every tannery have his own products or catalog, which are offered during the whole year.-

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

I think the issue is that the batch size is so big, that none of our 'boutique' jacket makers can hit the MOQ.

Years ago the batches may have been smaller, it figures that companies with better scaled up production must be the ones that remain.

That is why they have to take the leather as it comes.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Or pony up the thousands of dollars to get a completely customized full batch done like I did with my jacket project with Tony. But yeah, I agree that's part of the frustration with Platon..making definitive statements about how it's not possible because he finds himself in the position of having to take his leather as it comes.

It's pretty exciting for Steele and Jones that they have an in country tannery that will work with them. Looking forward to hearing in February how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kt Templar View Post
    I think the issue is that the batch size is so big, that none of our 'boutique' jacket makers can hit the MOQ.

Years ago the batches may have been smaller, it figures that companies with better scaled up production must be the ones that remain.

That is why they have to take the leather as it comes.
    With the first tannery (Uruguay) we got lucky.
    Every other tannery we asked, the MOQ was -about- 300 m2
    We got a 75 m2 custom order.
    And it was VERY expensive. At the price we offered those jackets, we really did all our work as a hobby. No profit at all.-

So I received a package in the mail about two weeks ago and I was delighted to find yet ANOTHER leather jacket inside! A ribby Merino Raiders from the talented folks at S&J!

Here are the details;
    Size 44 - I'm 6'2"
    Pit to pit - 24
    Sleeve - 26
    Back - 25.25
    Front - 23.15
    Across back yoke seam - 20
    Shoulder seam - 7.25

Thanks for this review!!!

We can see this jacket fits perfect on you.

I'm so happy for you.

ENJOY IT!!!

PS: Also, this pictures show that I have successfully corrected the collar/yoke pattern issue.-

Wow. That may be the best fit I've seen...congrats to you both! Also, love the chameleon ability of the leather to look brown or black, depending on the light -just like the original. But absolutely top praise for the perfect small yoke. Well done!!!

The collar was one of the things I was going to bring up. I noticed that with the two I have. I was going to suggest maybe using the collar from your copy of the NH TOD as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
    Wow. That may be the best fit I've seen...congrats to you both! Also, love the chameleon ability of the leather to look brown or black, depending on the light -just like the original. But absolutely top praise for the perfect small yoke. Well done!!!
    Thanks Tibor! I know you like those small yoke

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    The collar was one of the things I was going to bring up. I noticed that with the two I have. I was going to suggest maybe using the collar from your copy of the NH TOD as a guide.
    The ToD have a different collar configuration.
    I took some tips from there, but not an exact copy.

It wasn't easy to fix the collar/yoke alignment.
    Because I had to do it without compromising the Raiders cut. Which is very unique.

Fixing that, I also fixed the collar opening, which was too small.-

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast