If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Exclamation NEAT TRICK TO DARKEN YOUR FEDORA RIBBON! (without dye) (photos!)

Do you have a light colored ribbon on your fedora, but dread to find a new ribbon, take it off, and sew on a new one? Well, you don't have to. I have a secret trick that I share with you.

You can darken your ribbon.........without removing it from your fedora.

Let me show you how to do it.

1. As you can see, my Herbert Johnson fedora has an original, but light colored ribbon on it. The ribbon is a great ribbon put on by someone at Herbert Johnson when it was made.

2. I want to darken it, without dying the ribbon dark brown by removing it. So what I have done in the past, and just again today, is to darken the light brown ribbon while it's still on the fedora.

First, what you will need is a brush, and a container of Mink Oil cream (mine has lanolin in it) and a renewal card that falls out of magazines.

Second, apply the Mink Oil with the brush directly to the ribbon on the hat.

Third, place the magazine renewal card between the ribbon and the hat (the renewal card is a thin cardboard, and fits between the hat and ribbon easily without bending) to protect the hat from the cream, and so you can get all the edges covered. Brush the Mink Oil on the ribbon with an up and down motion in line with the ridges on the ribbon.

When you apply it to the ribbon, it will look wet, or greasy at first.

After covering the entire ribbon, carefully take a paper towel or a cloth towel, blot, and remove the Mink Oil from the ribbon taking special care to keep the cardboard renewal card between the ribbon and the hat (generally, if it's a brown hat, if the Mink Oil does touch the hat, it just is absorbed into the fur, and doesn't stain, or dye the hat like a conventional dye would).

I finish it off with using Kleenex to wipe off and buff off the Mink Oil, then I let it dry.

It will look like it does when you get it wet, it's now a darker brown, but in the case with water being on it, and drys.....this won't turn lighter when it drys. It will stay dark brown, and won't come off. It's also now waterproof. It's like when putting on Mink Oil on a leather jacket or shoes, it will darken it, and eventually sink in, not transfering or coming off on anything.

It's also easier, and safer to use than dye. Mine didn't soak thru to the other side of the ribbon either, so the hat was safe.

The ribbon also now refracts light differently now, as it's not shiny in light.

Here's the ribbon before...

And here it is now....

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Re: NEAT TRICK TO DARKEN YOUR FEDORA RIBBON! (without dye) (photos!)

Wow, I never would have thought to do that! Neat trick, thanks!
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Wow, I never would have thought to do that! Neat trick, thanks!
    Your welcome Gunslinger! I love how we all share what we know. I've learned a ton from you guys. Happy I can share a few things I've learned.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb View Post
    Very cool!
    It really is! It doesn't fade, or come off on clothes or even rub off. Now the ribbon is a dark brown Herbert Johnson ribbon. Nobody will ever suspect it was a light colored one. You can't tell. Also, the color is uniform, and isn't blotchy on the ribbon. If you do it, and miss a spot or two, thankfully, when you re apply it, it doesn't make the pre treated ribbon darker on a second application! It will blend perfectly. Couldn't ask for anything better!

Neat idea HJJ.

It's interesting how ideas come to mind when we want something bad enough. I would have thought of all kinds of things to "color" the ribbon but I doubt that I would have thought about how to "darken" it the way you did.

I have to say it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Neat idea HJJ.

It's interesting how ideas come to mind when we want something bad enough. I would have thought of all kinds of things to "color" the ribbon but I doubt that I would have thought about how to "darken" it the way you did.

I have to say it looks pretty good.
    I came up with the idea years ago. I buy leather WWII and Korean War leather flight jackets. I noticed that some of the light brown jackets were dry, and needed mink oil to get them soft and supple to be able to wear them. When you apply it, the light brown leather (dut to lost moisture) turns a darker brown (It's original color), but it isn't dyed. When the Mink Oil soaks in, the color doesn't rub off, bleed, or anything like that, it just makes it more supple, soft, and it darkens the leather.

One time, I was putting mink oil on a leather name tag on a replica blue nylon Korean War replica jacket, and I got a little on the nylon jacket. The replica jacket was a lighter shade of blue than an original one, and when the nylon darkened, I thought to myself, "Now THAT'S the color the jacket should really be." So I thought for a second, then decided to cover the light nylon jacket in the mink oil. I did, it soaked in, and the jacket was now the correct darker blue color! I couldn't believe it.

I've since put it on fedora hat ribbons when they are too light in color. It works perfectly! I wish my camera could capture how it looks, but it looks like it came from the factory a dark brown. There are no gives when looking it over. It doesn't make the ribbon look black, only dark brown. I have not tried it on other ribbon colors.

I'm absolutely certain I'm the first, and only one to do this.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

This is fantastic. I have a ribbon to try it on - the one in my avatar. You can see the ribbon is brown, but too light.

I have Pecards - very similar to mink oil. I'll try it on a piece of the same ribbon that's on my hat.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Bugs View Post
    This is fantastic. I have a ribbon to try it on - the one in my avatar. You can see the ribbon is brown, but too light.

I have Pecards - very similar to mink oil. I'll try it on a piece of the same ribbon that's on my hat.
    So far, I've only done it with the mink oil creme with lanolin & silicone from a company called TOTES, but I would think that depending how it's formulated, others might work. Creme will be the easiest to apply. If you can, try to find something that looks like the picture of the product I posted.

I would absolutely try it out first on a scrap ribbon before doing the whole thing on a hat to see if your product does what mine does.

Originally, I got mine at SEARS in the shoe dept., but SEARS doesn't carry it anymore. Somehow, I was able to track down someone via the internet from TOTES about the item, and it was still being made. I seem to remember phoning a number, and ordering it to be delivered to me, but that was some years ago. The paperwork from it is somewhere in storage, but I know I kept it. The only address on the container itself states: DISTRIBUTED BY "TOTES" incorporated, Loveland, Ohio 45140

I don't know how others work, but this is simply the finest product I have used, and have no interest in using anything else.

My now "dark brown" ribbon is flawless!

World Traveler Louisianna James's Avatar

Wow awesome! I'll try that trick, thanks for posting this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast