If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Unique way to replace a hat ribbon

This is certainly not the way master craftsmen replace ribbons the old world way, but if you don't have many skills, this idea may be right for you.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/help/ribbon.html

AND....

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

Re: Unique way to replace a hat ribbon

Be aware that the first link (hatsdirect) does not show how to make the Indy 'flying V' bow. The second one does.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Bugs View Post
    Be aware that the first link (hatsdirect) does not show how to make the Indy 'flying V' bow. The second one does.
    As Indiana Bugs pointed out, how to make the Indy Flying V bow is the second link.

My original idea was to just post the first one, as a unique way to put on a ribbon (that's the purpose of this thread) ...but I figured posting the other thread was also interesting, so I included it.

Quote Originally Posted by HENRY JONES JR. View Post
    As Indiana Bugs pointed out, how to make the Indy Flying V bow is the second link.

My original idea was to just post the first one, as a unique way to put on a ribbon (that's the purpose of this thread) ...but I figured posting the other thread was also interesting, so I included it.
    Since this is an IJ site, good choice!

- - - Updated - - -

And while I'm at it, I'll put in another two cents.

When I do a flying V, both rear bow portions are full loops. Iow, neither is just a folded over edge. I don't know which is more 'correct,' but I like the idea of an full, honest bow.
    - JHP

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I used to do that as well until I noticed the film hat isn't full loops. The bow is as per standard HJ of the time - about 9mm flaps. But I agree the full loops do look nicer if you were wanting to build a "better" hat.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

I had coined the term 'screen-reminiscent' over on that other IJ site. That means I like my hats to remind me of IJ's hats but they don't need to be exact-exact. So when I refurbish a hat, do what pleases me, accuracy be damned. And my stuff reminds me of what I want it to remind me of, even if it's not technically accurate. And I like it that way.
    - JHP

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Absolutely. I'm the same way ~sort of~ with the jacket. I just can't feel quite right wearing a brown jacket. A black jacket feels more "right" as a Raiders jacket when I'm wearing it than a brown one, even though the Raiders jacket WAS brown. Very weird. But anyway, I dig your hats man. They have a great signature look to them.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

When I update my Fed's ribbon, I'll do it HJ style. But I'm also re-ribboning a small vintage fedora for my son, and I'm going to do full loops. Just looks classier to me. (And when I first got my Fed, I thought the bow was faulty.)

Quote Originally Posted by Oildale Jones View Post
    When I update my Fed's ribbon, I'll do it HJ style. But I'm also re-ribboning a small vintage fedora for my son, and I'm going to do full loops. Just looks classier to me. (And when I first got my Fed, I thought the bow was faulty.)
    Looking forward to seeing it Oildale Jones. I know it must take skill to do put on a ribbon. Love to see your finished results!

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Bugs View Post
    I had coined the term 'screen-reminiscent' over on that other IJ site. That means I like my hats to remind me of IJ's hats but they don't need to be exact-exact. So when I refurbish a hat, do what pleases me, accuracy be damned. And my stuff reminds me of what I want it to remind me of, even if it's not technically accurate. And I like it that way.
    Very well put!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast