If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Unique way to replace a hat ribbon

I have to disagree on this one. I think the Fed IV is a really great hat. And I've seen some really great looking SA Fed IVs. I'd go so far as to say that some of them look even more SA than some of the other brands I've seen. The regular model seems to be pretty SA with the right bash for sure. I'm not a big fan of the Deluxe model however. JMO though.

I'm not going to argue with John about hat making, or with anyone about colors, but I own a Garrison Raider and a Fed IV Deluxe and when I watch Raiders, what I see (in terms of thickness, movement, pliability, etc.) looks closer to my Fed. I'm not saying it's the be-all end-all; I'm saying that I love it as MY Indy fedora.

When I hit the lottery, I'll buy an example from everyone else.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I agree with you there - I think the felt itself is actually fairly close to HJ's of the late 70s in terms of rigidity / pliability. the only thing that throws it is that they aren't as smooth and not quite as thin.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

bendingoak

I find that statement odd because the Feds are rather stiff and thick.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

I like Feds and think they are really tough hats. My problem with them is that I cannot get the center to bash right without it touching the top of my head. May just be my oddly shaped head, but they always touch and it gets annoying.

If you get one for anything than a straight work hat, I'd go with the deluxe. The pounce job is far better on those.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Mine's the same way: my crown pokes up into the center crease.

Quote Originally Posted by bendingoak View Post
    I find that statement odd because the Feds are rather stiff and thick.
    Yeah, I'm operating from having basically rebuilt each one I've ever had in my hands straight away by reblocking and repouncing, so it ends up being a slightly different "version" of the same body. Unbelievably smooth / luxrious compared to a stock model, so it's a little frustrating as that feel is in every Akubra, waiting to be "chipped away"!. Very close to a late 70s HJ. Crisman, your Clipper is the one I remember that feel from.

Quote Originally Posted by Oildale Jones View Post
    Mine's the same way: my crown pokes up into the center crease.
    A remedy for that - arc the channel to one side. I have a mild version of the same problem if I were to do a stright bash and this method sidesteps the whole thing. Plus if you check out Raiders and note the top channel, it isn't actually straight. So doing this is screen accurate to boot!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Yeah, I'm operating from having basically rebuilt each one I've ever had in my hands straight away by reblocking and repouncing, so it ends up being a slightly different "version" of the same body. Unbelievably smooth / luxrious compared to a stock model, so it's a little frustrating as that feel is in every Akubra, waiting to be "chipped away"!. Very close to a late 70s HJ. Crisman, your Clipper is the one I remember that feel from.
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that! The Clipper hat is really, really smooth and nice. It is a shame that that good a feeling felt is "buried" in the Akubra. The deluxe is better than the standard by a good sized margin but the felt can be worked even more. I suppose to work the felt to its upmost would raise the price out of the range Akubra is shooting for.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar
    Gunslinger. Did you use the Akubra felt for your brown Indy Schubert fedoras. Compared to the vintage 50s HJ I thought the felt seemed much thicker and way darker brown.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast