If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

Re: Unique way to replace a hat ribbon

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Absolutely. I'm the same way ~sort of~ with the jacket. I just can't feel quite right wearing a brown jacket. A black jacket feels more "right" as a Raiders jacket when I'm wearing it than a brown one, even though the Raiders jacket WAS brown. Very weird. But anyway, I dig your hats man. They have a great signature look to them.
    Thank you. That's quite a compliment, coming from someone like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weston View Post
    Very well put!
    Thanks!

One thing I have never been is obsessive-compulsive.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

I got some dark brown ribbon from John Penman so I could redo the ribbon on my Fed IV (don't buy the poly ribbon from, say, Walmart because it won't shrink). I took the ribbon off my Fed and tacked it to my son's fedora. (I don't get how it looked so tall before I unbashed it, and now it looks too short.) I did it in a rush and I haven't taken photos, but I did manage to get a shot of the backside of the Fed ribbon:

Interesting.

bendingoak

Yep, they just tape up the ribbon. They don't even take the time to sew it together. That's quality stuff, alright.

Is this how it was manufactured at Akubra or hatsdirect? Anybody else have a Fed IV with a taped ribbon? Please don't tell me that's how all Fed IVs come?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I've never seen an Akubra like that before. If anything, all the ones i have reblocked use TOO MUCH cotton on their ribbon work, etc. Maybe it's just the HD orders?
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

bendingoak

All the Federation editions are made this way.

Jesus. That's not good. To me, the frustrating thing about the Federations is that they are so damn dark. And then on top of that, they told me that the colour is an exact match for the Adventurebilts. When I showed them some shots of the actual hat in Raiders, and an actual HJ, they swore it must have been due to "movie distressing" that makes it appear lighter! Lame.

bendingoak

The federation is darker then the AB. I do think the Raiders hat appears to be lighter then what it is from distressing but not that much. I'm not a big fan of the akubra federation. Most people call it a tank or the best bang for the buck. I do not. I think its a good low budget hat and not great. Not at all.

With some decent pouncing Akubras are awesome IMO. A REALLY good hat to reblock. It's a shame their felt is so damn prickly the way that they sell them, as the felt is capable of so much more than what you normally get. I guess I see Akubras as what they are - great bush hats, but bush hats that can be specced up to be very good, luxurious dress hats with a little work. But I digress - their Federation shade of dark brown is WAY off both Sable and AB, yet Hats Direct claim it is dead-on to both. Really misleading.

bendingoak

I agree it is way off SA and that of AB. I have blocked so many of the Feds. I had to come up with a different way to reblock them then my own technique that I use for my hats. They would bleed terrible, shrink, and it's a shame if you do have to repounce them because their finish needs work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast