If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Star Wars Revisited Edits.

These have been floating around awhile, but I didn't see a thread on them here. Has anyone seen these?

Someone (in the UK, I believe) has taken A New Hope and done their own edit, removing many of George's changes and also adding their own small tweaks, to fix tiny errors and improve the pacing of some scenes. Here's a few examples:

I have to say, I normally don't care for fan edits- sometimes I'm amazed at the hubris of some people who feel their own vision surpasses the actual creators of a movie... especially when sometimes a fan edit simply changes the color temperature of certain scenes, or just cuts out the parts the editing party doesn't like.

Also, I don't wholly agree with some of the edits made in this Revisited version (the inclusion of the prequel music, or the lengthening/pacing of the Kenobi/Vader duel) but I'm not going to lie... everything else that I've seen has REALLY impressed me.

The end battle over Yavin is superior with its small flourishing touches, and I wonder why this isn't being done in the official releases, where the concept of "fixing" means adding more CGI rocks in front of R2D2 on Tatooine. WTF?

Maybe someday George Lucas will release another version that has CGI objects completely obstructing the audience's view of the entire movie.

Re: The Star Wars Revisited Edits.

Here's a link to a site that's updating the Revisited edits as they happen:
    http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/

I looked at some of the TESB edits; not bad at all. The asteroid sequence is so well done it's a wonder why this wasn't done for the real thing.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm behind a fan edit they usually - not always but usually - only appeal to the fan who did it. This however is quite remarkable and I really like what I see. While I am loyal to the original trilogy in its original form, these re-edits would have been awesome special editions compared to what we received. I am very impressed with the efforts that were made to produce these as well.

I hadn't heard of the "Revisited" editions before now. Thanks for bringing this up again!

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    While I appreciate the enthusiasm behind a fan edit they usually - not always but usually - only appeal to the fan who did it. This however is quite remarkable and I really like what I see. While I am loyal to the original trilogy in its original form, these re-edits would have been awesome special editions compared to what we received. I am very impressed with the efforts that were made to produce these as well.

I hadn't heard of the "Revisited" editions before now. Thanks for bringing this up again!
    DITTO everything Ram Man said! Very well done.

Thanks for bringing this up again!
    I always figured this thread fell between the cracks and just needed a little attention.

Another clip I posted but has been removed was the attack on the Death Star and one little detail was changed to make the entire sequence even more exciting.

This is not the clip I wanted, but it's the best I can find for now:

The one detail that floors me is the absolute last-second timing on the Death Star before it explodes; in the original version, Luke fires the torpedoes and they get away with what seems like about 10 seconds to spare before the Death Star fires.

In Adywan's new version, the Death Star is powering up and actually beginning to fire when the reactor explodes. When I saw that I was astounded. His cuts actually do make improvements, in my opinion.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

I see what you mean about it starting to fire, and blows up before the laser actually fully fires the laser. Actually, I think I like that better! I mean, the good guys did get away, so why not make it all the more closer?

Nice find Kid Huevos! "Great shot Kid (huevos) that was one in a million!"

I have to agree that showing the Death Star beginning to fire a split second before it blows up is a great improvement!! It simply magnifies how close the Rebels were to being annihilated. One edit that wasn't so great in one of the other videos was using that prequel music in the Obi/Vader duel. That just did not work and was nowhere near as emotional as the original version. Similarily, using the Imperial music from ESB as that much larger wave of TIE fighters arrive on the scene took me right out of the moment. ANH has a really unique sound to its score and hearing the more robust music from ESB does not gel well.

I'm still waiting for someone to fix the edit when Red Leader dies. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems weird to me that he reports that he's just lost his starboard engine, and THEN we see Vader firing and hitting the engine.

I managed to get a copy of this! It took a few hours to download, but when it was done it automatically went into my DVD-burning software and the process was virtually painless. The disc is only standard-definition, but it is enhanced for 16:9 tvs and in 5.1 surround sound. Even the menus are nicely done. I haven't watched it in its entirety yet, but it seems there are numerous changes, many of which I probably would never have noticed if there wasn't a list floating around for me to compare.

I had a copy made back in November. I think its fantastic! I appreciate the attention to detail and the love that has been put into this project. I also appreciate the color correction for this film. The blu ray editions are BRUTAL!! Really hoping Empire sees completion.....

Really hoping Empire sees completion.....
    From what I heard, Adywan knows he might get a cease & desist letter, now that Disney is at the helm. But for now, he plans to keep at it until a lawyer tells him he can't.

On a side note, I'd like to see him tackle those prequels. I bet he could make something watchable out of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast