If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Speaking of Indy trousers...

I think I had posed the washing question on that other forum. There's no way that actual officers' pinks during the war, or Indy's costume trousers, were only ever dry-cleaned. I know we pay a lot of money for our gear, but I think too many of us are afraid to not baby it and we end up looking like a sort of perfect, department-store catalog Indy. So mine are going in the wash right now! Or, you know, in the hamper...and I'll get around to washing them eventually.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

OD,

I failed to mention in my post that the trousers DID shrink a bit when they were washed, so take that into consideration before you wash them. Make sure you have the excess material to loose, especially in the length. You can't let out that type of hem.

Hand washing them in cold water with a little woolite would be best.
    HANG DRY ONLY!! No machine, not even on "fluff". I know of one guy who's wife accidentally put their pants through a regular was and it was NOT pretty (3 sizes smaller all around and the texture of a teddy bear)

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I washed a pair a while ago and although the look improved they did shrink quite a bit. Rather than washing I would recommend just spraying them with water and then screwing them up a bit. Then just wear them till they are dry

Why did you wait so long to tell me??

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

Sorry, I responded as soon as I saw your post.

Did you wash them already?
    If they're still wet, you could try wearing them until they dry.

I didn't wash them, but I did throw them into the dryer with a load of damp clothes on medium. I'll see how they look after I lose a few inches off my fat ass.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Merged this thread with the previous washing Todds pants in the Indy Gear Guides. I thought by washing them in cold water with some woolite and wearing dry would minimize the shrinkage from the drier and give them a more lived in adventure pants look. It worked out nicely I thought. I'm excited to get a new pair of Todd's pants down the road since I didn't really care for all the extra material in the hips/crotch area either, although that may not be too far off from screen accurate but maybe too much in that first batch. Also, the effect may not be as prominent in like a 32 pant vs a 40 pant I'm guessing. Anyway I see Indy wearing the pants up around his belly button, especially in the Imam scene, though through some of the different scenes I don't doubt they may have slid down on his hips a bit like maybe the flying wing scene.

Here's a few of all the photos I put together that I sent Diego when I ordered my jacket recently. I'm planning on using them when I complete my Todds jacket review thread but this is a good thread too. Anyway, we were discussing screen accurate length etc. For context purposes I will include the text. However, When I put together a few of the compares I noticed how much the Imam pants look like Todd's first batch with all the extra material and even the shiny newness. That's not really the look I wanted though. I wanted the worn through some adventures and waded a few streams look so I washed mine. It's interesting actually how our minds eye sees things vs what it really looks like on screen. Also, as the movie progresses the gear changes somewhat to reflect the adventures. So as always it boils down to what you see vs what you think you see vs what you want to see vs what it really was vs what scene you want it to look like vs what actually works best for you, etc.
    5’ 10 1/4”
    Weight at time of photos: 235 lbs
    Chest measurement at time of photos: 48 1/2
    Current chest size: 47
    Current weight: 225 lbs
    Will be at 200 lbs by mid summer
    Here are the photos: Note: I read your directions after for measuring after I did everything. So I made notes on the photos with the measurements with regards to back panel width at the bottom and storm flap minus the collar stand. First Photo I call the base photo. It shows what I look like and my body type. Also I put on the gear and wore the pants at my belly button like Harrison Ford.

Second, third, and fourth photos. I call these the screen accurate length compare photos. You mentioned screen accurate so I wanted to talk about it so we have an understanding. Screen accurate in it’s true meaning would require wearing screen accurate pants in order to see where the jackets hits compared to where it hits Harrison Ford in the Raiders film. I fully believe Harrison ford is 5’10” - 5’11” in Raiders. So I took photos of me wearing a Todd’s Costumes XL jacket. It is 24 inches in back. One inch longer than what Tony had to copy. The storm flap is 22.5 inches including the collar stand which is how Tony measured the jacket he had to copy. This measurement is about the same as that jacket. I am including the measurements of the jacket Tony had to copy along with a photo of the measurements of the Todd’s jacket after these next three photos so you can see. However, the Todd’s is currently too snug on me around the arms, shoulders and chest. As far as length goes though; it’s pretty screen accurate. Maybe a hair long in the front and two hairs long in the back.

From the Raven Bar. Looks a bit loose around the hip area. In the second one I think it shows pretty good the overall fit of Indy's costume, loose and comfortable. I'm sure his being beanpole thin plays a role in how it comes across. Also the third one where he's explaining to Marion how he can still bring it.

Same for the Wos.

Here's from the rare and deleted thread. To me baggy and loose look.

and incidentally here's a photo of John Rhys Davies standing next to a guy who's 5'8".
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 04-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

I'm wondering....I wonder if it's best to buy one size bigger than you normally wear. If it shrinks a bit, it shouldn't matter too much. Let it line dry, and / or wear it while it's damp to give it a lived in look. Your going to wear an Indy web belt anyway, so the pants won't be too loose at the waist if it's just one size bigger. If it needs to be hemmed because they are too long, it can be done by many, many places. That may be the way to go. My guess is that it would only shirk after it's first washing in cold water.Don't think it would keep shinking continuously every time it's washed. Only line dry it. I'd prefer them to be a bit baggy myself.

GREAT ARTICLE NEUTRONBOMB! You are DA' BOMB!

I think the first pair I washed lost two inches in length. Waist wasn't a real issue but if you're going to wash them go for longer legs...

On Neutronbombs point about where Ford's trousers are worn I have to differ... Maybe my belly button is high or something but I see ford wearing his trousers lower than this... Pretty much where anyone would have worn their pants in 1980 in fact. I frequently dress in a vintage style and if I wear pants at belly button level I can tell you that they look vintage 30s/40s high. Nothing like what I see in Raiders. The only modern trousers I can buy that I can wear at belly button level are British army dress trousers. No modern off the peg suit trousers come close to this height. Todd made a great vintage cut trouser but I don't see a vintage cut at all in Raiders

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast