If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

Washing Todds pants

I recall a post from some months ago where someone discussed the results of washing a pair of Todds pants to shrink them a little a get a more authentic Raiders look. Can someone remind me and has anyone else tried it?

- - - Updated - - -

Doh! It's ok I found the old thread...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar
    Yes. But in IMAX I thought the pants looked shiny and new in several scenes. The "authentic" look I had in my mind must have come from the truck drag scene or something. Personally I do prefer the cold water and air dry look results myself.

Re: Washing Todds pants

It's more the baggy crotch that bothers me. They're fine if you wear them like vintage pants - very high on the waist, but they're not worn like this in Raiders

Speaking of Indy trousers...

I don't doubt the exhaustive research that's been done on Indy's costume, but when I finally got my Todd's trousers I was surprised at how much texture there is to the fabric. To me, Indy's trousers always looked more like a smooth chino. Then I got a look at a pair of Todd's trousers that his son Sean had worked over, and are now being worn by Mannequin Indy in Todd's shop. I still have some reservations, but those particular trousers have done a lot to convince me of their accuracy.

(Sorry, I didn't get think to get pictures.)

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

Re: Speaking of Indy trousers...

I know what you mean. I too only thought of Indy's trousers as "just chino's" and always thought of wool clothing as that "thick, itchy, fuzzy stuff".
    Once I got my Todd's trousers, then WASHED THEM (got the idea from Bryan), it changed my mind.

I've just today received a second pair of Todd's trousers. He seems to have changed the pattern from the original run. There's thankfully a lot less room in the crotch! A much better fit for Indy's trousers (the first run were great vintage style trousers but not what I see in Raiders. Indy wears his trousers well below his belly button not on it or above)

Quote Originally Posted by K-Wad View Post
    I know what you mean. I too only thought of Indy's trousers as "just chino's" and always thought of wool clothing as that "thick, itchy, fuzzy stuff".
    Once I got my Todd's trousers, then WASHED THEM (got the idea from Bryan), it changed my mind.
    What's this now, washing pants that should be only dry cleaned? How exactly did this improve (?) the look/feel of them? And did you put them in the dryer too, or just air dry them?

DJD,
    That's good to hear. My one gripe about my Todd's pants was the low crotch. I don't have very long legs to begin with and the "sag" didn't help. It also threw off the sizing as the inseam length I got was WAY too long for me.
    Might have to get me another pair.

JeffDJ,

Yup! I washed them. Cold water, delicate cycle, then hung dry.
    Washing made them look more "lived in" and less "dressy". The fabric was softer and draped better afterwards (I would assume the sizing/starch was washed out). It also made them slightly more fuzzy, which just looked "right". Hard to explain, but, looks better to my eyes.
    YMMV.
    Last edited by K-Wad; 04-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Grizzled Grave Robber HENRY JONES JR.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDJ View Post
    What's this now, washing pants that should be only dry cleaned? How exactly did this improve (?) the look/feel of them? And did you put them in the dryer too, or just air dry them?
    Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Please see above.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast