If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gin Thread

Hybrid View

The Gin Thread

fifthchamber's thread on cigars is dangerously close to spinning out of control; everyone excited to contribute to the new section... So I want to get this one rolling because gin deserves its own header.

Everyone has a preference, some cocktails call for a particular type of gin, and there are a lot of cool bottles out there. At the end of the day, though, I always have on hand a 750ml bottle of Seagram's Extra Dry. Somewhere between $15 and $17 a bottle, it is excellent quality for the money. I've had a lot of gins, from Gilby's to Bombay to Plymouth, and for straight out of the bottle to seamlessly blending into most recipes, Seagram's gets my money every time.
    Of course, when I'm flush, I may add a bottle of Plymouth, but I'm talking about the all the time 'go-to'.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say: A martini is made with GIN, and it has vermouth in it. That's it. If you walk into a bar and order a martini, the response should never be, "what kind?", or worse, as is often the case in the States, a vodka abomination ends up in front of you.
    Further, a Tom Collins is made with GIN. That other soulless, flavorless concoction is called a Vodka Collins.
    Don't get me wrong, vodka has its place, and that place is in bars where the music is too loud to maintain a train of thought on "2.50 well nite". You are NOT going to remember those drinks, and in all likelihood, you're not going to remember the overall experience ( except maybe where you're being dragged out in a choke hold after pun...wait. I'm projecting...).

Popular gin cocktails over the last few months, for myself and guests have been -
    Pineapple Mint Cooler ( very refreshing as the temps stay up in the 80's well after dark )
    the ever popular and ever easy to make Gimlet
    Collins
    Bee's Knees
    Corpse Reviver
    Almond Eye

I've been working a lot out of the Playboy Bartenders' Guide, but would really like to hook up a copy of the Savoy book.
    Any other gin experiences, recipes, etc... in the community?

Nothin' more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

Re: The Gin Thread

When me and my bestfriend want to get plastered, we make a mix of this:

1 liter of pineapple juice
    1 small bottle of Gilbey's (forgot how many mL is in it... All I know it's the small bottle)
    1 liter of Colt 45

We just dump it all into a big pitcher and mix it.

I don't even know what it's called. The reason we get so plastered is because you can hardly taste the alcohol because of the juice. Oh, and probably it's due to the fact that we usually make 2 of these and there are only 2 of us drinking.

My girl is the gin drinker. Her current fascination is with the Aviation. I think it consist of gin, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur and crème de violette. I'm not sure how many parts of each, but the way she mixes it tastes pretty spectacular. I'm a scotch man, so I really don't touch gin, but this is a drink I can stomach.

Aviation!
    YES! I just had one for the first time at my favorite bar* a couple nights back. Good stuff.

FENRIS - good LORD, man!

*Bohanan's Bar, downstairs from the restaurant, on Houston St. All fresh ingredients ( including fresh squeezed juices ), no soda guns, BIG, chunky, slow to melt ice, chilled glasses... Lots of pre-prohibition era cocktails prepared the way they should be by guys who know how to do it.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...e/IMG_0653.jpg
    http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...IMG_0652-1.jpg
    http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...IMG_0669-2.jpg

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

I'm trying to find a gin I really like for a martini. I usually have a bottle of Gordon's in the Fridge, I bought some Tanqueray but find it a little to strong to drink as undiluted in a martini. Bombay Sapphire went down well as did a generic Plymouth gin. Actually I think I liked the Plymouth quite a lot as it was more floral.

Any suggestions? Keep meaning to save up for a bottle of Hendricks but it's expensive, almost enough for that bottle of Coeur de Cognac from Remy Martin I keep wanting to treat myself to.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

I'm far from an aficionado, but I'm a firm believer in drinking what you like. For instance, I know what 'good' scotch tastes like, but I find a lot of higher end ones taste...medicinal...to me. Sometimes you just want some Johnnie Walker, you know?
    On that note, that's why I recommend the Seagram's. The Gordon's is good for all the time, too. But the Seagram's is inexpensive without being cheap. It doesn't have that boozy edge like, say, Gilby's. And if you don't like it, you haven't lost a mint and you can certainly mix it into other folks' drinks. Go ahead - I double dare you to fill up an empty Bombay bottle with the Seagram's when you're entertaining one night.

EDIT: that Hendricks is nice. Got a little tight one night when I was one of three customers in a mid-range bar and the bartender let me sample all the gins in the - er - joint...

Quote Originally Posted by kiltie
    I'm far from an aficionado, but I'm a firm believer in drinking what you like. For instance, I know what 'good' scotch tastes like, but I find a lot of higher end ones taste...medicinal...to me. Sometimes you just want some Johnnie Walker, you know?
    You're absolutely right. My usual poison is Johnnie Walker Black, but when I feel like treating myself I prefer Stronachie. It's very affordable and taste just as good as Johnnie Walker Blue, if not better.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

Never seen Seagram's here. I'll look it up.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Sure it's a bit of a cliche, but my favorite Martini recipe is a Bond one:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/ginrec...r_cocktail.htm

It really is great, and packs a punch. Once you acclimatize though, I will happily drink them all night.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I'm not a gin drinker but there's a swanky hotel in Belfast called The Merchant that has a cocktail list as thick as a phone book. They had Vespers along with about ten other versions of a Martini and I simply couldn't resist.... Still not a gin fan but I'm glad I've ticked vesper off my list... Generally I'm a clear spirits person although I like bourbon and rum (oh, and brandy on occasion)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast