If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

What's your favorite Mexican Food?

One of my all time favorites is La Especial Norte, other than Mi Casa in Cabo San Lucas where my wife and I had our pre-wedding dinner and where according to the manager Leonardo DiCaprio has frequented for their Mole dishes. "Mole's are perhaps one of the most complex sauces ever created. Conjured up from as many as seventy ingredients, Mi Casa's Mole Poblano is crafted using thirty five. The result is a deep, rich brown sauce that, if allowed to linger on the tongue long enough, will evoke so many subtle flavors your tastebuds may just faint. Lightly chocolatey with notes of pumpkin, nuts, fruit, chiles and garlic, this Mole was one of the best we've had and it paired very nicely over chicken."

I can't stay away from the Camarones Al Mojo de Ajo with an ice cold Modelo Especial after a hard day at the beach with my friend Indy. It's the best. I was talking to Indy over dinner last night and he totally agreed and confirmed this.

http://www.laespecial101.com/

Camarones Al Mojo de Ajo:

oh btw, here is Indy:
    Beach Frisbee Catch
    Beach Marker Fetch

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Re: What's your favorite Mexican Food?

you are making me hungry

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Me too. I'm not sure we have a Mexican restaurant thats even capable of ~attempting~ something like that here in Brissy.

Mate, you realise you can't show me anything from a beach without me picturing that you're just off-camera wearing your Nowak jacket and flanked by a couple of babes...
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Ok, so I'm easily led and way too open to sugestion. This is me enjoying a Mole and VB at El Torito in Brisbane's West End. Glad you put me onto this stuff Bryan - I did a Google straight after posting above (dinner time was coming up!) and this was the only restaurant in town to do the authentic stuff, so one thing led to another. And man - its the best Mexican I've ever tasted! SMOOOOTH sauce on the chicken, sublime fluffy, flavour-packed rice. Cheers.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

The three at the table Behind look like they've been caught at something, or never seen a camera before

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger
    Mate, you realise you can't show me anything from a beach without me picturing that you're just off-camera wearing your Nowak jacket and flanked by a couple of babes...
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger
    Ok, so I'm easily led and way too open to sugestion. This is me enjoying a Mole and VB at El Torito in Brisbane's West End. Glad you put me onto this stuff Bryan - I did a Google straight after posting above (dinner time was coming up!) and this was the only restaurant in town to do the authentic stuff, so one thing led to another. And man - its the best Mexican I've ever tasted! SMOOOOTH sauce on the chicken, sublime fluffy, flavour-packed rice. Cheers.
    Wow. Cheers. Good deal. A bit different than del taco huh? You know what though. That's totally cool you were able to find great mole mexican out there in Brisbane the same night I posted about it.

hmm.....I got something else for you to check out that I'll be posting tomorrow morning in my new Raven Bar Fedora thread. It arrived a few days ago and I'm really stoked about the vintage elements of it. Anyway, start looking online for speciality dessert places. You'll be headed out to Brisbane with the family again.

@rcsignals. The 'ole got caught huffin' glue look.

That photo still makes me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb
    Wow. Cheers. Good deal. A bit different than del taco huh? You know what though. That's totally cool you were able to find great mole mexican out there in Brisbane the same night I posted about it.
    Yeah, I said something similar to my wife when I was eating it and it was so good - that we live in such a weird world that a friend can give a restaurant review about something on the other side of the world that can give me the opportunity to find something locally that I had no idea was even here. AND have enough of a similar food experience that it almost felt like we were at the same place you mentioned. Weird. (Though I will in a big part put that down to having only ever experienced dodgy westernised "Mexican" restaurants up until now.

Look forward to your hat rundown. Be sure you post a shot of you with it ON! (Flanking babes preferred)

... and just as I type this, my 3 year old son just pointed to the babes shot on the screen here. I asked him what he was looking at, and he said... and I quote: "That's a pirate."

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

Man, this is an old thread, but I just now found it.

My favorite is a good Molcajete.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

There really isn't much Mexican food in the UK. Mostly tex-mex stuff.

There are a couple of chains that have popped up like www.wahaca.co.uk, but that is overpriced and I suspect diluted.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Nothing special around here. I love Mexican food, but highly suspect that I'm just getting diluted, North Americanized versions.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast