If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    deadseascrolls

Quest for the Indiana Jones Trousers

First off, I want to thank those of you that responded to my reply about starting a thread on the Indiana Jones trousers. As I've stated in another thread, much of the outfit of Indiana Jones for really any of the movies can be found and obtained fairly easily. However, there is one part that I've found to the hardest and that is the pants, or if you're in the UK - Trousers (pants are underwear )

I'm mostly going to be talking about the trousers of Crystal Skull as that's been my primary emphasis. In the next few sentences, I'm going to be posting some ideas and questions to start things off. Again, they'll be geared more toward CS; however, if you want to chime in or know how to "tweak" the question to make it fit into the other films, by all means --- share it with us! So with that, here's the questions/topics:

1. Overall, in all the films it seems like the general design of Indy's trousers matches that of a general wool dress trouser you'd pick up at JC Penney or other Men's Store.
    • What do you think about that? Is it safe to say that sending a dress trouser that fits you and one which you like the look, feel, and drape of could be sent to a tailor to duplicate and still be considered "screen-accurate"?
      If not - what needs to be changed or looked at differently? (other than the nuances of button-fly, etc)

2. What fabric do you think they used in CS for the trousers?
    • As they tended to stick with Cavalry Twill for the first 3 - Do you think they used Cavalry Twill again? (Note: Some people have exclaimed that the look of the trousers is cotton twill, and if you look at Indy walking through the Peruvian market, it sure looks like it)

3. Does anybody have an authentic-looking back pocket flap on their trousers? I'll try and post a picture here of the ones in CS. I'd love to see them as that's been the biggest hold-up for me designing my pair.
    4. Lastly, if they used Cavalry Twill in CS :
    • Was it 100% wool or 50/50 wool/polyester?
    • What color is the most authentic?

Hopefully this will generate some discussion. If interested, I would be interested in starting threads on: Cavalry Twill fabric, the back pocket flaps, and the overall look of his trousers.

Keep me posted. I am at YOUR service.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Re: Quest for the Indiana Jones Trousers

Hopefully Platon will chime in here. He's done a good deal of research in this area. Maybe mostly for Raiders.

deadseascrolls

RC -

I am hoping he will. I've wanted to get in touch with him over his trousers as he has, in my opinion, the most screen-accurate back pocket flaps.

Platon.... if you're out there, I'd be honored to have your opinions and expertise.

Thanks for your reply RC.

peter did bring trousers and shirts with him for bernie to look at when they discussed 'THE JACKET' contract. from what i saw on film, indy's hanger pants looked pretty westeddy to me.....except for the pocket flaps of course. i believe the pants came from western costumes but the shirts came from a shirt maker on rodeo dr., beverly hills. perhaps western costumes put more scallop in the flaps....dunno....if they even got the gig in the first place. i just know my westeds got the same look to them as indy's does in the hanger imo. westeds pants are 100% cavalry twill wool and in my searches, are the best bang for the buck bar none.

(just buy bigger buttons for the fly when you get 'em ).
    currently on day 9 of my "20 days in the cooler".

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

Glad to say I have found the same fabric/color they have used for the films.
    I have the right color for Raiders/Tod (was the same) and for LC.

The LC color can be used for CS pants, it is pretty close. In my memory, the CS color has a bit of cinnamon in it maybe but this can be attributed to the lighting conditions they used....

For the LC pants I also have a fabric that is the same material but less weight (much less) so can be worn in the summer months. The appearance of the fabric is the same. Wool cavalry twill. If my memory serves me well, I gave all this info to Todd... (got to check).

I have a pattern copied from an original WWII officer pinks trousers. Looks pretty good, maybe will try them on and take a few shots.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PLATON
    Glad to say I have found the same fabric/color they have used for the films.
    I have the right color for Raiders/Tod (was the same) and for LC.

The LC color can be used for CS pants, it is pretty close. In my memory, the CS color has a bit of cinnamon in it maybe but this can be attributed to the lighting conditions they used....

For the LC pants I also have a fabric that is the same material but less weight (much less) so can be worn in the summer months. The appearance of the fabric is the same. Wool cavalry twill. If my memory serves me well, I gave all this info to Todd... (got to check).

I have a pattern copied from an original WWII officer pinks trousers. Looks pretty good, maybe will try them on and take a few shots.
    Love to see these. I've always just went with "sort of/close enoughs" on the pants but would get some if there was a reasonably priced option out there.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PLATON
    Oh, oh, Platon is going to show us pics of his butt....

RUN AWAY!!!
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

admin

Do I need to get involved here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious
    peter did bring trousers and shirts with him for bernie to look at when they discussed 'THE JACKET' contract. from what i saw on film, indy's hanger pants looked pretty westeddy to me.....except for the pocket flaps of course. i believe the pants came from western costumes but the shirts came from a shirt maker on rodeo dr., beverly hills. perhaps western costumes put more scallop in the flaps....dunno....if they even got the gig in the first place. i just know my westeds got the same look to them as indy's does in the hanger imo. westeds pants are 100% cavalry twill wool and in my searches, are the best bang for the buck bar none.

(just buy bigger buttons for the fly when you get 'em ).
    Peter did bring trousers and shirts during the "discussions" , but I think they instead patterned them from the clothes in the archives. The shirt was made by Antons of Beverley Hills, but you won't be able to get an EXACT repro because they must have signed some kind of agreement with the production. They have the patterns and fabric samples. I already asked about getting a shirt in the past and they would charge $400. And this is for their version not an EXACT REPLICA. As to the pants Western Costume could have made them in house, but they could have outsourced them too.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

The CS shirt was total crap... sorry to say.
    I wouldn't take one even if it was for free...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast