If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Quest for the Indiana Jones Trousers

C'mon Platon, no need to hold back here - tell us what you really think!

deadseascrolls

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious
    peter did bring trousers and shirts with him for bernie to look at when they discussed 'THE JACKET' contract. from what i saw on film, indy's hanger pants looked pretty westeddy to me.....except for the pocket flaps of course. i believe the pants came from western costumes but the shirts came from a shirt maker on rodeo dr., beverly hills. perhaps western costumes put more scallop in the flaps....dunno....if they even got the gig in the first place. i just know my westeds got the same look to them as indy's does in the hanger imo. westeds pants are 100% cavalry twill wool and in my searches, are the best bang for the buck bar none.

(just buy bigger buttons for the fly when you get 'em ).
    Peter did bring trousers and shirts during the "discussions" , but I think they instead patterned them from the clothes in the archives. The shirt was made by Antons of Beverley Hills, but you won't be able to get an EXACT repro because they must have signed some kind of agreement with the production. They have the patterns and fabric samples. I already asked about getting a shirt in the past and they would charge $400. And this is for their version not an EXACT REPLICA. As to the pants Western Costume could have made them in house, but they could have outsourced them too.
    This information is correct from what I've heard and read as well. In fact, I talked with the main lady who oversees the fabric department and got her to spill the beans a little (actually, she did it of her own free will). She acknowledged that Bernie Pollack comes in there all the time to source out fabric and that they have fabric left over from when Western Costumes used to be one of the premiere fabric stores in the LA area, so they have fabric from the 30's and 40's yet in stock. I do believe she would've sourced out the fabric for me in their records if it had not been for the fact that the records for CS were transferred to their files in another part of the building and would take a long time to dig up. She also mentioned that Bernie may not want that information given out. I doubt the fabric used to make Ford's trousers for CS were made of vintage fabric but I could be wrong. At any rate, the trousers I'm almost certain were made in house as they have records on file about the film and that Bernie is a regular there (and may even have an office).

Will continue this in another response - my computer is acting up.

deadseascrolls

Regarding fabric. I've contacted WWII Impressions who make an excellent reproduction of the Officer Pinks and kindly inquired (stating I don't mean to be rude and only if they wished to answer) about where they get their fabric to make the Officer Pinks, and thus where I could acquire it to make the trousers out of. The fellow was very nice and said that question was no problem at all, but that he didn't know exactly; however, he did know every part of the garment is made in the US as they WILL NOT commission overseas mills and factories to make these items. So according to that, the fabric should originate in the US here.

Contacting Carillon Mills, one of the premiere fabric mills in the US (from what I've read), the VP of the company himself told me that not only do they not make wool twill but that there isn't a single fabric mill in the US still in existence that makes wool twills much less wool cavalry twill due to the high cost of importing wool from other countries.

So unless someone knows of some good fabric mills in the US - you tell me... whose telling the truth? :question:

Gotta run and make a call to both order fabric and contact about fabric samples. The hunt is afoot! Cry God for Harry, England, and ST. George!

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

There is a running thread (no pun intended) of people wanting to claim that everything is made in their own countries. Globalisation being what it is sometimes it is just not possible that every material and component is made in any one country. There are super high end Italian suit makers who will go bust if a new rule that insists that at least 2 stages of production ie. the material and craftsmanship of their suits are done in Italy. Even they have to import their fabric sometimes. Nearly all chips are made in Taiwan and S. Korea now so are Made in Japan Sony's electronics still Japanese?

Cavalry twill, some of the best anyway is still made in Britain. That is probably where they are getting it from.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

I suspect Kt is correct about Britain. There may be some Mills in Canada that will or do produce it as well.
    No doubt you can find Mills in Pakistan and India that would produce it too.

deadseascrolls

Thanks Kt and RC for your kindly worded responses. It's so nice to have people like you writing in response to my submissions. On the last forum I was on, writing what I did would bring about harsh criticism and degrading for wasting valuable thread space with something so superficial. That's one of the reasons I try to tread so carefully on forums now so that I don't offend or make people angry. I love to participate in these forums and submit my ideas, suggestions, and information in the hopes it will help people out as much as people like you guys have helped me out. So thanks a million!

In talking with a lady at a fabric store near me, she actually suggested to me that I check out Canada for mills as she thought that would be a very good source for cavalry twill. Why I haven't listened to her yet is beyond me! But with your suggestions confirming her suggestion, I will definitely pursue that as well. As such, I have found more options in the UK for cavalry twill than any other place and my research on the internet has confirmed that from other forums of people talking about the fabric. I know China is loaded with cavalry twill but it all seems to be cotton and not wool. I'll do some research on Pakistan and India, but my guess is it might be cotton too. Italy seems to be a very good place as well for sourcing wool cavalry twill so I have three new leads to follow as mentioned above.

Thanks again gentlemen and will keep all posted who are following this thread.

Sincerely,

DSS

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

When it comes to mills in Pakistan and India, sometimes it is a case of them not having what you want but being willing and able to make it.
    I think you'll find that Jerry of WPG has much of it's cloth used for reproduction uniforms, even Kilts, made in one or both of those countries.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

I understand that deadseascrolls wants to copy the CS pants.
    Believe me, I have seen many samples but none was exactly the color of CS. Asking the mill to dye for you will cost a small fortune. Best alternative, use the LC color which is the most commonly found.

Two main fabric stores used by the studios and WC: International Silk and Woolens and B. Black & sons. I think you can find both on the web. Wool trouser material - B. Black & Sons. Call them and ask for cavalry twill samples. They will send you about a dozen samples from the USA, England, and Italy. Be prepared to spend about $70/yd for the good stuff. That'll put you at about $175 for fabric alone. They do also have some fabrics from the USA for closer to $10/yd that could be dyed to match.

What do you want to do with the fabric? Have a tailor make a custom pair of pants? If so, I'd contact Magnoli. I believe that's basicly what he does (has done for him, I mean). Magnoli Clothiers. They're on the web.
    ToddsCostumes.com

deadseascrolls

Hey Todd!

Sorry I haven't been able to respond until now. Work around here is hectic this time of year. I have contacted both ISW and BBS and have received some swatches from both of them. With BBS, I asked them to send me samples of 100% wool cavalry twill and I received the sample of the tan they show on their website. That's interesting that you requested the same and received samples from all over the world. I hate to contact them again as I don't wish to offend or irritate them once they've already given me what they feel suited to send, but may "politely" and "gingerling" email or call them again. Is it OK if I mention this thread and your mention of them sending you numerous samples? If not, I won't but it would help. To me, their tan that they sent is too dark and too thin for what I'm looking for.

As for ISW - I talked to a wonderful lady on the phone after being referred there by the lady at Western Costume! I asked her about sending me samples of 100% wool Cav. Twill and about a week later had about 7 samples. However, they were both a looser weave and wrong color than what I was looking for. I told her this and she said if I had samples to send them to her and she would check to see about tracking it down via orders. Well, no such luck with that, but she did state she could dye the fabric to any color I liked but I'd have to buy $700 worth. As it wasn't the correct weave I was looking for, I had to decline.

I am currently following some leads - both on fabric itself and places that will dye the fabric so will keep you posted.
    I may also give you a call sometime to talk in person if that's alright.

Thanks again Todd! Appreciate your response.

DSS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast