If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

Todd's "Bantu Wind" jacket

Thought I'd share some pics of my new "Bantu Wind" jacket from Todd's.

These things are a steal at $99, and besides the funky yoke, it is still the closest I've ever had to an SA jacket (if such a thing actually exists).
    I love the leather on this thing. It is almost like a cross between lamb and goat.
    It was VERY shiney and felt a little plasticy at first, but, the shine fades rather quickly with wear and a little bit of water.

If anyone wants or needs a decent jacket for a low price, I'd recommend jumping on one of these before they are gone.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Re: Todd's "Bantu Wind" jacket

It looks a good size on you, nice fit. That yoke is kind of a mid length, or looks like it. Not really low but not high.

It's kind of humorous how some people seem to be taking 'Bantu Wind' seriously as what this jacket is representing. Todd said it 'tongue-in-cheek' as his supplier took liberties with a few things.

I just hope they don't abandon this leather. It would be real nice to see it on a future jacket option.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

Isn't Todd offering these at such a low price because this run was design flawed? If so, I don't see it; these jackets look amazing!

Weston

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

That was the premise Weston. Apparently the manufacturer took some liberties deviating from Todd's pattern, and there were a few that had manufacturing flaws.
    You are correct though, they look great in all the photos.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

RC,

Yes, some people are taking the name too seriously. It does not share any of the attributes that are seen on the actual "Bantu Wind" jacket from the movie.

The yoke is pretty short in the middle (it's only 5" from seam to collar stand), but, the seam is curved downwards at the ends.
    Todd has said that the yoke seam is supposed to be curved like that (he said that both his standards and his Nowak jacket have that curve, but, I've never noticed it before).

If you look at the Todd's standard jackets, he gets the off the shoulders look by pushing the top shoulder seams back (and I guess also curving the yoke seam).
    The factory "corrected" this for him. So the only difference between these jackets and his standards is the top shoulder seams are pushed farther foward and actually sit on top of your shoulders.

Personally, I don't think it detracts from the overall look of the jacket.

World Traveler New Yorker Jones's Avatar

Looks great, wish I could get one but the XXL went so fast. That is a steal and such nice leather. A lot better than his regular at $149
    If you see someone down on the ground, you lend them a hand.

I liked the leather on the $149 standard MUCH MUCH better. Although I like my BW I regret selling my Standard. The leather draped better, was softer but felt stronger (and was stronger...i did some rough stuff in my standard) and it was lighter/cooler. The BW is only like 8 ounces heavier, but it feels it (probably because it doesn't drape/flow the same). JMO

World Traveler New Yorker Jones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaidersBash
    I liked the leather on the $149 standard MUCH MUCH better. Although I like my BW I regret selling my Standard. The leather draped better, was softer but felt stronger (and was stronger...i did some rough stuff in my standard) and it was lighter/cooler. The BW is only like 8 ounces heavier, but it feels it (probably because it doesn't drape/flow the same). JMO
    Okay, thanks for your input. I feel the standard will rip if I catch it on anything. Its just so thin.
    If you see someone down on the ground, you lend them a hand.

The factory did goof up. They changes the shoulder, and there werew quality control issues. And they did some kind of distress after the jackets were sewn which goofed up the zippers.

I like the look of the leather, but not the feel. I'm still looking for the ideal Raiders leather. Getting closer, but I don't think this is the final word.

Oh, yes, one other thing - lambskin is soaring in price right now. Since the cost of the leather is 3/4 of the cost of the jacket, you know what that means. The next run of standard jackets will be more expensive. My cost is rising about 40% for these jackets.

-Todd

ToddsCostumes.com