If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selling two Wested jackets

Hi,

I'm selling the following two jackets by Wested.

1) Modified "Temple of Doom"
    - Shrunken lamb (got some slight water treatment)
    - 42'' chest
    - 23.5'' sleeves
    - 25.5'' back length
    - Larger "Raiders" pockets
    - Extra inside pocket
    - All cotton lining
    - Buckles + X-box stitch
    - Worn only a few times, didn't fit right but was non-refundable as it's a modified design
    - Not "as new" because of water treatment
    Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/1ep47

- Paid £260 (£224 + £36 VAT etc. = got ripped off by customs...)
    SELLING FOR £180 or €230 + shipping

2) Modified 80s fit "Raiders"
    - Shrunken lamb
    - Slimmer fit, tapered sleeves, smaller armholes with gussets
    - Pointier "Temple of Doom" collar instead of regular "Raiders"
    - 40'' chest
    - 23'' sleeves
    - 25.5'' back length
    - 7'' shoulder seams
    - 7'' backwards facing straps
    - Extra inside pocket
    - Satin/cotton lining
    - Buckles + X-box stitch
    - Almost as new (a few defects, blame Wested's quality control)
    Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/UeExE

- Paid £266 (£229 + £37 VAT etc. = and got ripped off again by [redacted] customs... )
    SELLING FOR £190 or €243 + shipping

Please get in touch for more information.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: Selling two Wested jackets

regarding #1. I would like to buy this from you because I think this is the best/closest way to get the Raiders jacket from Wested so I'll PM. But before I do, can you clarify the fit issue. Is it manufacturing issue because the tweaks didn't change over as expected or just simply wrong size.

Hey neutronbomb,
    Did you mean #2?
    #1 is a TOD, only with the Raiders pockets. It's just a size or two too large (I have a 40-41 in chest). Unlike many here, I was trying to get a snugger fit, with the shoulder seams sitting on the acromion bone, and both jackets, even the 80s fit Raiders, have shoulders that extend past it. There's no modification on the TOD with regard to the fit and you should be aware that the sleeves are quite large and barrel-like compared to the 80s Raiders.

ok. Let me explain. I did mean #1. I believe that the TOD with no modifications to the fit, like your sleeve description, is the Raiders film jacket fit. Keep in mind this is my opinion after years of exploring all of this. There is much debate across the forum discussing all this, but after all is said and done this is what makes sense to me. Based on history relayed by Debra Nadoolman.

It appears the first Raiders jacket made for the film (the prototype jacket) is the main jacket used in TOD. Debra has said, through interviews, that she got one jacket, known as the prototype jacket, made in time to go to France for start of filming and that she instructed her staff they were going to need to get more made for use throughout the rest of filming. Once filming was started at Elstree, additional jackets made their appearance into the film. These jackets have different physicalities than the prototype jacket (the TOD features we are familiar with) that include larger pockets, bi-swing construction, larger zipper, zipper going all the way to the bottom of the jacket, collar construction, etc. Makes sense since they were made later after the first one.

In getting made, it looks like the additional jackets were based off the pattern of that first jacket (Raiders prototype/TOD) in terms of fit, dimensions, cut, etc. and the changes reflected in the feature differences (like larger pockets, larger zipper) that account for easy recognition of a TOD jacket vs a Raiders jacket occurred when these additional jackets were being made. "Hey on the additional jackets being made, make the pockets larger so Indy can actually carry stuff in them like his gloves).

So that is why I think the jacket photo you posted as #1, a TOD with larger pockets, is Wested's closest jacket that fits like the Raiders film jacket. It's because Wested had access to a film used jacket in TOD that they based their TOD replica jacket from. That film used jacket from TOD is not the Prototype Jacket from TOD that was also used in the film as the main TOD jacket, but the films own replica of the raiders prototype jacket/main TOD jacket. To me, that's as likely a candidate for the first jacket Wested may have made for an Indy Film. A replica of the raiders prototype to be used in the TOD film along with the raiders prototype. The leather used in that 2nd TOD (replica of raiders prototype jacket) jacket looks to be much different than the raiders prototype jacket and matches very well to the leather Wested used in their early raiders jacket replicas. That's what makes sense to me.

Prior to getting the Noel Howard TOD jacket to copy, wested's raiders replicas (along with their current Hero pattern) were based from a combination of fan input and Wested's attempt to create a replica based from studying film and photos and modifying a pre-existing, different than Indiana Jones jacket pattern they manufactured at the time.

So as you pointed out, this is why the fit and dimensions of the Wested TOD jacket replica is different than the 80's pattern raiders replica (and the hero pattern replica too for that matter). But, it (Wested TOD replica) is more accurate to the fit and dimensions of the actual raiders film jacket that we see on screen which is why I would like to purchase yours. It would give me the opportunity to examine a Wested TOD replica with the larger sized Raiders pockets added. Like what it looks like they originally did when making the additional jackets (made after the first, prototype one) used in raiders. Plus, wested's shrunken lamb looks overall, similar visually to the raiders jackets on film.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 06-04-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Well you're really quite the enthusiast! Thanks for the explanation. Personally I much prefer the 80s Raiders but I understand that a tailored fit isn't what most are looking for. I replied to your PM by the way.

Interesting to see the ToD with Raiders pockets, I have to admit I'd thought about doing that myself. As Wested's ToD is the jacket that looks best on me.

More dilemmas.
    The search for the jacket is the search for the divine, in all of us.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmasters View Post
    Interesting to see the ToD with Raiders pockets, I have to admit I'd thought about doing that myself. As Wested's ToD is the jacket that looks best on me.

More dilemmas.
    Yeah, that has me interested as well. I like the ToD jacket better myself other than the small pockets, and think it wears better on me. I didn't think about asking Wested to alter the pocket size (I think that Wested stated that they would not change the pattern at all when they first introduced the jacket so I never considered it).
    Last edited by crismans; 06-05-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

I have one on order (TOD) from Wested and requested the pockets be made larger but not as large as the Raiders pockets. Will see what they come up with.

you guys are going to laugh But, I like visually the larger raiders pockets way more than the little girly TOD pockets. Plus it's raiders. Plus you can get your hands in the hand warmers. Plus you can stuff larger items in them.

But here's the deal. I never use them. Ever. Not once. I've tried and it's a pain shoving your whole hand in them to try and reach what's at the bottom.

TOD. Use them all the time. All the time. Change, cell phone, cash, starbucks card, cigarettes in one and lighter in the other. Constantly. Don't even bother snapping them up.

I usually put my phone in the left side pocket. On the Raiders or LC it fits in and the flap can close, but on the ToD the phone sticks out by and inch and thus the pocket flap juts up into the air. It's kind of a cool look, but would make it easier to see for potential thiefs that I have a phone there and somebody could pick my pocket, like Short Round attempted to.
    Last edited by xmasters; 06-06-2016 at 08:52 AM.
    The search for the jacket is the search for the divine, in all of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast