If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Prototype Jacket

Wow, NB!! Thanks for doing all this work and presenting it to the community like this. I'm going to be a while absorbing all this...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Awesome stuff, NB! Even though it's looked on as a black art in some quarters, there's a lot to be said for in depth work like this. This is terrific stuff that we can sink our teeth into rather than just going on hearsay.

And, even though it will take a while to absorb all of it, I think you've proven what we've long suspected on the Leonard stunt jacket and the still jacket being the same. Also, great stuff linking it to the Grace jumping the pit jacket.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

deadseascrolls

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca Jones
    Thank you, NB. That's perfect.

DSS; I'm pretty sure that the pink look is the fabric. The pants were inspired by WWII uniform pants that were nicknamed "officer's pinks." Many figure that they tried to match those.
    Chewy,

Thanks for the clarification; however, I should point out that I already knew about the Officer Pinks, etc. Not being ugly or rude, just letting you know I was already aware of it.

I just was wondering about why most people order the dark khaki or the new vintage cavalry twill from Magnoli, for instance, to duplicate the Raiders look when it looks like the pink is the more accurate color.

But we're getting off topic as this thread is about the prototype JACKET, not PANTS Feel free to post your answer or thoughts on this, but I think I'll move it over to the other thread as I don't want to be responsible for side-tracking this thread that Neutronbomb has so diligently put together with hard work. Doing so would be disrespectful to him.

Thanks again though.

DSS

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Yeah, this is just really great.

I like your spotting of the small but really clear things like the zipper kink - great catch.

Why are the patch pockets noteworthy? Different shape or positioning?
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

It's up to Neutronbomb in any case, but that's a tough call, DSS. I can certainly see where you're coming from, but I know from talking to NB that his goal (the goal of the whole site, really) is to try to get at the truth and get that out there. But, there has already been occasions where some of his analysis has been used to promote--let's call it propaganda, shall we?

deadseascrolls

Crismans,

Indeed. Just looking out to make sure his work is safe-guarded. I will be striking that statement from the thread as it probably shouldn't have been mentioned anyway. Thanks for bringing up the goal of things.

Sincerely,

DSS

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Thanks for thinking of me DSS

But, yeah, if this is of interest to anyone in the Indy community, then I'm happy to share it. I splashed across the photo analysis' and there's the dates so we should be covered.

@gunslinger. I do think the patch pockets and flaps are different sizes and shapes than the other two jackets. It looks to me like they're shorter and further away from the bottom edge of the jacket. But, it was also to show how the various pics and screengrabs match each other. For instance, the wearer's right side patch pocket looks very small and scrunched in the Terry Leonard Truck Drag screengrab(s) and also with the behind the scenes photo of him walking.

deadseascrolls

Quote Originally Posted by neutronbomb
    Thanks for thinking of me DSS

But, yeah, if this is of interest to anyone in the Indy community, then I'm happy to share it. I splashed across the photo analysis' and there's the dates so we should be covered.
    Anytime Neutronbomb! I just saw the incredible amount of detail and work you put into it and didn't want someone committing the blatant comparable sin to plagarism by stealing your information without your consent. I know what it's like to give something your all, only to worry that some lazy sucker will pass it off as their own and reap the credit for it. But it's your choice and really I shouldn't have even mentioned it (hence the striking of it from the record).

You have my fullest backing on all that you say and do my friend! Just so you know that! So keep it up! You make us fans truly awed and proud to be in your company.

DSs

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Wow. Thanks DSS. Really great comments by all. Loved the BOOM comment from gunslinger. Still chuckling. But I don't want to get too carried away here. I have spent a huge amount of time on this, but it's just what I see. I'm hoping others will be able to see any "rabbit holes" since it goes against what "those who were there" have been credited with on the subject. Also, if I remember correctly, RCSignals first raised the possibility that these might be the same jacket and a fellow Indy fan Eric Holt did the first basic analysis. I just ran with it piggy backing on the already great analysis done by Gunslinger. The road was already paved. I just chose to drive it with a Bullit Mustang

I've had another thought. Now, this has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt as there are a lot of unverified variables here, but, NB is talking about patch pockets vs. the cut-in pockets. The G and B,which is supposed to be based off a screen used film jacket, has patch pockets (or the one I owned did, at least) which would match up with what NB is saying about the prototype jacket (used during the trug drag) having patch pockets and the description of the jacket that was examined (I believe that RC has posted the specs from that examination elsewhere on the site).

Again, there are many variables here. For one, is the G and B's patch pockets off the specs of the examined jacket or is that their addition? Plus, there is the question of the reliability of the source that supposedly examined the jacket. The truck drag jacket was first said to be a Wilson's (if memory serves) and we've been told that the stunt jacket examined was a Wested (including notes being sewn in the pockets where Peter said they would be). So, there are a lot of unknowns and contradictions here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast