If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Snake Plissken Jacket

How is this supposed to be made out of horsehide?

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Re: Snake Plissken Jacket

Don't I recall another movie jacket forum saying it was a vintage jacket, too?

Clearly shrunken lamb was huge in the 70s and 80s and into the early 90s if the amount of times it pops up in movies / TV shows of that time are anything to go by. Watched Lost Highway again the other day - the main biker jacket in that is clearly SL.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Yes experts in another jacket forum declared it a 'vintage' jacket. But isn't that forum now a front for selling jackets?

So now if it's been mentioned on another forum the information is now suspect? Getting kinda paranoid in here.

My understanding is that it's a vintage California Sportswear jacket in HH. I once had a vintage A2-style HH jacket in bad shape and it distressed in exactly the same way. Kurt wears the same jacket in EFLA and it's in noticeably worse shape than in EFNY. I seriously doubt that designing and distressing a custom leather jacket was in the budget for EFNY.

Here's some distressed HH.

Just my two cents.

No oildale. It being mentioned on another forum doesn't make it suspect nor anyone paranoid

Interesting photo. I have seen that same photo for a jacket that was for sale on ebay. The faded lettering is the give away

Anyway. The plissken jacket in the photo looks thin to my eye, and does present with characteristics of NB's SL jacket. The HH jacket not so much

Of course we are just going with what we see in photos.

It is not beyond reason to think a prop jacket was made for EFNY. It wouldn't necessarily be expensive or out of budget.
    Last edited by RCSignals; 02-08-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals View Post
    It is not beyond reason to think a prop jacket was made for EFNY. It wouldn't necessarily be expensive or out of budget.
    They had a (comparatively) big budget for EFLA and look at the crap they came up with for Snake to wear. I think if they'd had the budget for a jacket in EFNY they'd have come up with something newer and not nearly as cool. (The camo pants are awesome but the shiny zippered shirt was a little too Chess King. That is, '80s.) I'm sure someone knows/knew the story of the jacket, but evidently they're not talking. Or they are. I can't keep up.

I agree that it looks thin, and sort of like SL, but is there not a thin horsehide?

Making something new look old and used isn't too unusual for movie props or wardrobe.

I'm talking about that Occam guy and his razor. Everything Snake wore was brand new and custom-made except the jacket. Why go to all the trouble to copy a '30s jacket and then realistically distress it (far more realistically than the Raiders jackets) to appear 50+ years old?

I'm not trying to start a fight, and I agree that the jacket does look somewhat similar to SL, but I think the story as it stands is the most likely explanation. And even if it is lambskin, I still maintain that it's vintage.

Heh. I just searched Bing images for "heavily distressed horsehide" and my picture came up.