Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A couple of Blu-ray observations about the outdoor Peru jacket...

......because I have to get them off my chest.

I finally got to sample my new Blu-ray disc of Raiders. I watched the opening, paying particular attention to the jacket. In the "big reveal" after he whips Barranca, the right side of Indy's collar looks mottled like goatskin but lumpy like shrunken lambskin. But what really stood out to me was his right pocket when he's filling the sandbag. The leather looks very shiny, but puckered all around the pocket. I have a jacket that looks a lot like that. It's goat.

I realize most of this has been settled (well, in some places, anyway), but the more I see with my own eyes, the more questions I have. Or as Don Henley sang, "The more I know, the less I understand."

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

Re: A couple of Blu-ray observations about the outdoor Peru jacket...

The puckering around the pocket is in the same position that Wested/LC uses for the backing tape in that area. It has been attributed to the tape puckering after the jacket has been thoroughly soaked during distressing. We've seen older Wested's show this characteristic. I have wondered whether this is an older type of tape maybe fixed with spirit gum glue rather then the modern, 'Wonderweb' type tape.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Maybe that's something you can confirm with Peter next time you're able to chat with him.

On a side note, I noticed that he had logged onto the site and mentioned he would give you an interview about his Raiders days. But since we changed the software and URL and with everyone having to recapture their passwords and all, I'm wondering if he's not been able to get logged back on. I can reset the password and email it to him if you think that would be of help.

Here's the thread where the backing tape/puckering around the pocket was discussed in the first few pages: http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forum...ii-Imam-jacket

A few pics from the thread:

It's sounds like backing tape is pretty much the accepted theory of where the puckering comes from. What else could it be. Aside from something like the pocket and stitching holding the leather from moving in certain places like the thicker piping at the top of the pocket flap while the leather around the pocket is stretched or shrinks or something causing the puckering, I don't know what other explanations would cause it. Plus it seems to be in a band. The thing is it seems a few jackets made the same way seem to do it while many others don't.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 11-03-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

It's things like the puckering pocket tape that affirm my belief that Peter & Co made the film jackets.

Patterns (especially ones as weird as the Raider jacket) can be lost and forgotten.
    The patterns are nothing more than shapes cut out of card stock.
    It's the construction techniques that are a maker's calling card.

The only jackets I've seen do this are the Raiders and LC film jackets and the earlier Wested fan jackets. That can not be a coincidence.

I stayed up late last night watching the Blu-ray and I was surprised at how bright the picture is now. I was just about to post some additional observations about the jacket and coloring and suddenly I don't know whether I actually saw these things or I just dreamed about them. So I'll get back to you.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar
    LOL. The sickness has gotten ahold of you.

Holy cow, so I wasn't dreaming! OK, so one of my main interests in the jacket is the leather. Very few of the replicas have shown such red/brown underlying leather as I see in the opening of Raiders. I've been looking at the scenes with an eye toward the differing colors of the jacket and first noticed that the leather looks to me like the "spongier" leather used by Wested for the Hero (at least the Hero I have, in authentic brown lamb). Then I noticed how shiny the temple jacket is (in studio), and how the coloration differs between the unbroken leather and the distressed areas. The leather has almost a grayish sheen to it; the underleather is, again, red/brown.

So what I thought I'd dreamed about was a grid pattern on the back of the jacket, but it's actually there. If you pause when Indy reaches for the torch beside Satipo (after they see the idol), you can see lines of distress that run horizontally and vertically across the back panel, forming a grid. It's amazing how evenly spaced the squares are. (So regular I thought I was dreaming.)

Like many others I'm still questing for the "perfect" jacket and I'm very, very happy with my Todd's Standard, but the underleather is just not quite red enough for me. My Hero is even lighter underneath, but the leather (aside from the lack of grain) appears more accurate. Maybe. I just won a goatskin Hero so I'll see how that grabs me.

I'm sick. I need help.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Yep. Welcome to the crazy-house!

I know the shot you are talking about. The one where he's kneeling at the floor booby trap with the torch is another good one. Many shots throughout the movie where it looks like the spongy leather. Wait until you map the key leather grain patterning of each panel in your head. Then you'll know you're in trouble.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Yep. Welcome to the crazy-house!

I know the shot you are talking about. The one where he's kneeling at the floor booby trap with the torch is another good one. Many shots throughout the movie where it looks like the spongy leather. Wait until you map the key leather grain patterning of each panel in your head. Then you'll know you're in trouble.
    I've done that in a macro way but not a micro way like you have! I've looked at the "overhead shot as they look at the booby-trapped floor" scene as well. I always thought the grid pattern was a result of Nadoolman quickly trying to distress the jacket.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I think it's a bit of each. There are definitely scratch marks there, but others that are definitely grain.

Working out which is which is all part of the fun.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast