If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Re: Mwa Hahahaha har....!

Ok, IT HAS ARRIVED. All I can say is that Diego's hat bodies are the most dead-on accurate to the actual Herbert Johnson Raiders era hats that I have ever felt or seen. Beats the modern Herbert Johnsons; leaves them for dead. It's a new version of the old REAL rabbit. I am VERY happy! Dear God people, but one of this man's hats if you're in the market. Well worth the $.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

I'm so happy you like it.
    I can't wait to see that felt getting re-worked by you, as I said before you have skills and perfect eye for every detail.

Just remember it used to have a sweatband on (machine sewed).
    I've never had problems re-blocking this hats, just a reminder.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Indiego Jones; 07-24-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Hahahaha I've waited 3.5 years to use that. JK. love to see it when you're finished with it gunslinger.

Diego, I'm so happy. You DEFINITELY have the best felt out there in terms of accuracy. The felt got crappier as time went on, and the last "good" HJ I have handled was dated 1978. By 1982 / 1984 (I can't remember which) the quality had dropped a notch since the late 70s. All that is to say that with a good reblock where you shrink the felt down so it's denser, and then give it a really good pouncing, you will get a good result from any of them, but if given a choice, I like the pre 1980 ones the best. Diego's seem to be as hardy as the Akubra (awesome), but with the smoothness of the older era of hats (also awesome). (IE the Akubras are quite 'bristly' until you pounce them - I dislike the finish on them. So I'm saying all of this ahead of actually reblocking and pouncing it, but I now have even higher hopes for the quality of this hat once all the components come together.

Neutronbomb - I'll hold off with pics for now because it just doesn't look like anything - it's just a generic body.

Hey, you know you could cut the sweat to like 56.65 cm if you like

Yeah,yeah, you wish! The sweat and liner will actually be from a 1950s / 1960s era Herbert Johnson for Brooks Brothers. Simply beautiful leather - the most supple, "polished" yet soft I have ever seen.

Yet that pales into insignificance next to the coolness of your avatar. Classic.

Ha ha. Yep. "that's a pirate."

It'll be great to see the hat you make out of that felt body!

An update - fantastic felt! The best combo of old fashioned rabbit luxurious feel with none of the thick brittleness of very old (pre 1970s) hat bodies. In other words it feels dense like the old great quality hats with none of the drawbacks. Totally stoked.

Beautiful colour - very close to the Cury Sable felt. The South American connection at work?

So in any event, if you want a hat, I can vouch for Diego's stuff. Hands down the best of anything I've ever blocked.

Anyway, yes, pics forthcoming.

Finally!! I figured you had forgotten about this thread

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast