If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

What Are You Doing?

I'm opening a thread for anyone to post in with updates on what they're doing, especially if it relates to future posting/site related business.
    Right now: just off the French Quarter, New Orleans, La. I have something to add to every header on this site. Today alone, I saw wartime used A-2s, ate exotic food, am currently on the sauce, all while wearing my Raiders hat and Alden's.

Much, much more to come in the appropriate threads, but if you've got something going on that you just have to post a teaser, here's the thread in which to do it.
    Nothin' more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: What Are You Doing?

Been to "Narlins" once. Actually it was Lafayette. Had homemade gumbo with the rue and everything. Fantastic stuff.

Teaser trailer..hmmmmm.

Okay -

I'm back from my 1200 mile road trip. I've got two posts up in the "Military..." section on the WWII museum and the USS Kidd with more to come. However, if I don't get some beer in me right this second, I'm going to have withdrawals. Updates on the New Orleans adventure and how an AB performs in semi-tropical climates* pending.

*(hint) It looks a lot more "Raiders" now...

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Sweet. Can't wait to see that AB.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

Yesterday, I went on a 3D archery shoot with a friend of mine. We are both bowyers, and the bow I was shooting was one he made for me in trade for one of mine (a couple stone knives and arrowheads thrown in as well). This was my first traditional archery tournament. I've killed deer with my bow, but I've never entered a contest with other archers.

I didn't know what to expect. I am confident enough in my own skills to go into the woods and be a competent archer and woodsman, but on a range contest? All I could do was hope I wouldn't embarrass myself!

The bow was sound; we both worked on it and brought it down to 58# from over 65# (65# way too heavy with the shape my backs is in these days) and it was comfortable to shoot. It needed a new string, and I twisted one up late Saturday night (the shoot was Sunday morning!) and hoped it would work.

Well, I fought that string all day. The thing about a fresh bowstring is that it has to stretch itself out. Only time, and plenty of shooting will do that. I had to make adustments along the course, and I know it cost me some points, but all and all, I didn't do too bad! I ended up shooting with the top archers in the game that day, and even beat one of them. Scored a 263, and my friend won the silver buckle with a 335 score. Not too bad!

Well, That's what I did last weekend! I hope there are some bowhunters or archery enthusiats who understand it all. I had a great time!

Weston

Weston -
    Sounds very cool. While not into archery myself, I was in a class years ago where I made friends who were. I'd often take lunch breaks with them and, as luck would have it, there was an archery range close by where they'd spend that hour or so shooting their bows. Deer and hog hunters, they used compound bows, but there was a guy there a couple of times who used a longbow. That was an odd little bit of a treat to observe: more 'lofting' the arrow than firing it directly at the target.

I see you also mention something about working with stones - making arrowheads? I can't get back to read it ( typing on a phone ). I do go out with my dad a lot to hunt arrowheads. Do you have any artifacts of that nature, or just what you make? Either way, I'd like to see, and I'm sure my dad would, too. I'll have to start a thread in the 'Museum...' thread about that. I get some decent 'Indiana Jonesing' in with the arrowhead collecting.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

Yes, I've been flintknapping for a few years now. I've never found an arrowhead or stone knife, but I have made lots of them. I only have two actual artifacts; a piece of Georgetown flint with ancient concoidal fractures from tool making, and a worn obsidian blade struck from a blade core. I'll post them up sometime in the archaeology section.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Nothing all that adventerous at present. I'm finally off from school as is my daughter, so we're spending a lot of time riding 4 wheelers and swimming. I'm also trying to put together a bike fund as I want to start riding and working on my 67 Fairlane. Apparently, I'm hitting my mid-life crisis.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

Last day of school for this academic year. Start summer day camp tomorrow. No rest for the weary.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP