Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Weston's Avatar

The Dark Tower

Lately I've had the very great pleasure of reading Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. I know I'm late coming to it, but the great thing about that is, I don't have to wait for the next one. I feel for those of you that were with it from the beginning and had to wait, sometimes years between installments. Particularly those that read "The Waste Lands", with the mother of all cliffhangers, and had to wait six years for the next book. Ouch!

I've just finished volume IV "Wizard and Glass". I absolutely could not stand to put down more than a moment. Until this novel Roland of Gilead was a very enigmatic character, and previous novels did little to explain anything about him. This novel finally revealed him as very deeply human character. It also eplained much of the conflict and key characters involved, as well as finally nailing down why it's so desperately vital that they reach the Dark Tower.

I was on my way to pick up "Wolves of the Calla", and found out that just this year, King released another Dark Tower novel, "The Wind Through the Keyhole". I understand that this one can stand alone, but have also read that this book works as a bridge between books IV and V, so I'm considering reading it first. Anyone familiar with the series, or who has read "The Wind Through the Keyhole", what would you recommend?

At anyrate, I'm thoroughly enjoying the series.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Re: The Dark Tower

Wow. One of my all time favorite. Just wait til the ending. We'll have to discuss. Lol. 6 freakin years. The dude got hate mail. I know because I sent some.

JK......fascinating mind King has.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Yeah, I LOVED the ending. Some readers weren't happy, but to me it's just brilliant. Damn, can't even hint at it. But I was one of the lucky ones that got to read it straight through - just immersed myself in that world for a month or so.

Re reading the new book, I don't know Weston, it depends on your tastes. I haven't read it, but I have read the comics which also deal with Roland's backstory. They were kind of "meh". I guess I didn't really care as much because it didn't involve Roland's current ka-tet. You get to know these people like they're your friends, almost. I'd personally keep on rolling with "Wolves" and the rest. But if you REALLY liked WaG above the other books, then maybe you may want to divert to the new book first.

Note, Song for Susannah was really boring - nothing happened, so you'll have to soldier through that one.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

I think you're right about getting on to book V. I don't know that I liked "Wizard and Glass" above the others, but it certainly does stand out. The fact that it took place almost exclusively in Roland's world, and every page both glows with beauty and oozes dread. You know, from the moment moment he arrives in Mejis that Roland and his friends are walking into a nest of vipers. It's almost unbearable to watch Roland and Susan Delgado's doomed romance barreling towards a cliff like a runaway stage.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

As a side note, a great companion piece to Wolves of the Calla is the Kurosawa movie "Seven Samurai".
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

I was lucky enough to get to read the last three books in one stretch, which was nice. I cried like a little girl when I read "Wizard and Glass." The last book seemed really rushed, and I can see how the ending of the last book was upsetting to some, but to me there was no other way. Ka is a wheel.

I just got the latest book but my reading time is limited lately, so I'll be of no help to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    As a side note, a great companion piece to Wolves of the Calla is the Kurosawa movie "Seven Samurai".
    An update; I've just picked up a copy of 'Wolves of the Calla'. I'm greatly looking forward enjoying this volume. You're dead right about Seven Samurai. One of the opening quotes is from Steve McQueen from The Magnificent Seven, "Mister, we deal in lead." Perfect!

Weston

Well, I finished "Wolves" a few days ago. I never read one book at a time, I usually have a few going at the same time. But, when Pere Callahan started telling his story, that was it for me. I locked in like a laser beam and that story took off like a rocket. Man, what a read!

I am looking forward to the next installment. If it takes "soldiering on", then so be it. I've got to find out what happens to Susannah, with her latest incarnation (Mia, Daugher of None), her ill begotten offspring, and the rest of the ka-tet.

How does one man possibly contain this much creative energy? It's exhausting just trying to keep up with it!

I'm traveling so using this as a marker till I can put something together. This article is specifically in regards to 'The Shining'. But, I immediately thought of The Dark Tower's Gunslinger and then Raiders of the Lost Ark's Indy characters.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/01/what...t_the_shining/

Very fascinating article I found. Specifically in regards to man's morality in decision making and choices vs. achieving what he believes is the end result at all costs or being a slave to fate. Really thought provoking stuff. But seriously, I believe this article is dead on when applied and directly applicable to the dark tower series when discussing these themes.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 07-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Weston, thought I should ask where you're at in the series. Don't want to give up any spoilers while discussing if you haven't finished yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast