If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

Todd's Costumes pants: washing and modifying

I ordered pants from Todds when they first came out. Don't know if they've updated the material, pattern, etc. since then. When they arrived I had the legs hemmed. For me, I found them too dressy looking for what I wanted and too much material in the front lower belly area and after hemming the legs were still about an inch too long for what I wanted.

I decided to wash them in cold water and wear dry. I believe they are dry clean only. But, hey. On a real adventure they're going to get rained on or soaked one way or another right. Afterwards, they shrank up a bit in the legs actually to exactly where I wanted them, the extra material in the lower belly area disappeared, and the look of the material completely changed. I really, really dig the outcome. However, I have only done the washing once. Don't know if future soaking will continue to shrink the pants or not.

Here's an after pic:

Here's what they look like brand new:
    (not mine)
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 02-20-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Re: Washing Pants from Todds Costumes

It looks kinda like you're sacrificing them.

With the washing, did you get any pills or "knappiness"? Or did it just dull them out some?
    Nothin' more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

Sacrificing meaning ruining. Maybe. Probably.

It did dull them and no pilling, but a little bit of frizzing or knappiness as you referred to it. Not even noticeable visually really. But if you try then yeah, compared to brand new.

Brand new they, and maybe all calvary twill dress pants, look like CS. I hate that look. I prefer the beat up, more grungy or lived in look of Raiders.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

I think he means the weird compass thing like an altar.

I love the look - it gets rid of the "old man pants" vibe they can have.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger
    I think he means the weird compass thing like an altar.

I love the look - it gets rid of the "old man pants" vibe they can have.
    Indeed, sir, on both counts.

However, I do sport the "old man pants" from Wested out on the town, now and again. They really do make for some good looking pants when you dress then up a little.
    I've been looking at these Todd's ones, though... I'm really not one to get wrapped up in this kinda thing, but could I see the pockets in the back, or maybe somebody show me a link or thread where I could see them?
    Nothin' more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

Your trousers look much more realistic (dare I say SA?) after washing. I bought a pair of the newest model and they look too good (and feel much thinner than yours look, if that makes sense). They need some character.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I've got a pair of Todds. The colour and detail is great but they do seem to have a rather low crotch unless you wear them very high on the waist (I mean vintage above belly button high). Is this the 'lower belly you were referring too?

Yeah. I know the cut is for them to be high waisted. It's just that I found them to be really voluminous around and across the hips. I haven't ever had high waisted cut pants before so I don't know if that's just how it works with that type of pant.

Here's my dad wearing them. Be kind. Yeah, he's 70 with a pot belly but don't let that fool you. He's still a bad ass. Anyway, he's wearing the pants up at his belly button. The effect on him was a bit more than on me, but still basically the same thing. Washing them took away the effect. Through shrinking I suspect.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I may well give it a go then. I like vintage suits and I'm happy to wear high waisted pants. It's just not a raiders look though

It's $85 bucks on the line so be warned about shrinkage. I definitely wouldn't put them in the dryer. If you go for it please take a pic or two so we can see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast