If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's the weirdest food you've ever eaten?

So that's what tripe is... I've eaten that. It's actually yummy if I remember correctly. I was a kid when I last ate that and I used to imagine them as gums without teeth for some reason.

Over here in the Philippines we also have those pig's (or chicken's) blood food. Only they're barbecued again. This one I don't like. It's like eating liver - the texture and taste is disgusting!

The deep fried pig's fat or skin and intestines we call 'em "Chicharon". They're for snacking just like chips are to most people. You usually dip it in vinegar and it's actually yummy... Though it may not be good for your cholesterol levels. Me and my wife dub 'em "high-blood food". Hehehe.

Now, Balut is really disgusting... even for me. But I do eat it. The one thing most shows like Fear Factor forgot to mention is you should eat it with salt. The first time I ate it my eyes were closed and my girlfriend shoved it down my mouth. Surprisingly, it tasted pretty okay... but for some reason, I cannot really describe how it tastes.

Are you guys ready to see a balut?

Kiltie,
    You should try Filipino Menudo. I hear it's different from Mexican Menudo (I think). Although, even here, they sometimes have different ways of making Menudo.

Balut......I seriously couldn't do that.

Hahaha! It was even on Fear Factor!

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

I have to remember not to open this thread during lunch (or dinner). Bleah.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

Stumbled into this thread... I really wish I hadn't.

For me it was tacos de cesos. I walked into a family that we were teaching while I was a missionary and she had whole calf brains in the frying pan, then she diced them and gave us tacos.
    They were alright with the right salsa but I didn't really like the texture.

Menudo is good id my wife makes it. It's all in how you clean it; it must be cleaned with salt, then lime (as in for cement not the fruit), then salt again.

Something that no one on this forum will ever eat I am sure is Mole de pescado con ciruelas silvestres (a special mole not the brown mole poblano). That's mole with dried and salted fish dipped in stiffly whipped eggs and then fried and added to the moled with boiled wild mexican plums (not a type found nor sold here in the states). It's good.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

balut is disgusting

I have eaten snails, quite different than escargots. They are considered normal food here, they are also cooked differently.

We eat lamb's intestines (after they are washed of course) they are considered yummy!

Here's how it looks

I have also eaten urchins, chicken hearts

Some people here eat the heads of the lambs
    Here's how they look

but the one that beats them all is called 'patsas' and is a soup made from the cartilage of the knees of cows.
    Here's how it looks

they eat it when they are drunk, to become sober. And they do guaranteed.

fifthchamber

We eat knuckles here in Japan too..Usually deep fried and served as a drinking snack...They're actually delicious...I have no problem eating them at all...

Perhaps not the strangest, but the nastiest thing I've had to eat here was squid guts...They call them "shiokara", and mix them with salt and spice to serve with drinks..Disgusting...Texture like wet rubber, with salt...Not especially nice to eat...

The strangest perhaps would be that, or the dried squid "saki-ika" which is also delicious actually..I'm just not a fan of the guts I guess....

Horse meat was another weird one...Not especially tasty, but not bad at all...(Eaten raw of course..)...And whale is served here, although I don't think it's worth eating...It's just fat...And boring apparently...Japanese don't eat it much either..I think the last poll was about 5% of Japanese having EVER eaten it...Which is a rather large amount of people choosing to stay well clear...Recent sales showed 75% of the years hunted whale unsold..Happily that means Japanese are agreeing with me that Whale is entirely stupid as a food source and not being eaten....

They'll keep hunting it though..It's less about sales and more about the "point" of it now...Stupidness..

Raw pig ear is another one that's liked here...Again, not sure why....

I'll eat anything high enough in protein....Which means the dried squid serves me lovely...

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

All you can eat crawfish boil.

Tasty... but I really don't need to eat crawfish for QUITE a while now... LOL

"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

crawfish are great but only an idiot chef would mix them with corn saucages and potatoes, an idiot or Jamie Oliver, he mixes anything with everything, nahhhh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast