If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    fifthchamber

Favourite smoke then?

Okay...Well then....Since this'll be the first thread here, let's start from the basics?

Favourite cigar to smoke, any reasons why and what, if any tipple you like to indulge in with it?

Since I've started it, I'll go first eh?

Mine is a Montecristo no. 1, or a Punch Punch....Either of which are lovely smokes in most any weather, although perfect on a slightly colder day...I've found my choices vary between Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Punch...Although I have tried Cohiba (found them rather heavy, and they linger far longer than I, or my girlfriend were ok with..Heh), and Davidoff too...The Davidoff were to see why Arnold enjoyed them, and they're certainly a decent cigar, although a little softer than I like in comparison with the Cuban selection I'm most familiar with...

As for whiskey....I love a good single malt...A friend (runs a pub in Chelsea, London so has access to decent choices and brings them over to Japan when he comes) brought me some rather lovely Macallan (18 year old single malt Sherry oak cask) which was amazing....I've recently been given a sherry 12year as well, and the last time he visited he brought some Bushmills (he's an Irishman), and some rather more potent Poitin...Which rather goes against the whole "drink for taste" thing I had aimed for..LOL..The Sherry cask was a delicious Whisky though...Really fruity, and well flavoured when matched with a cigar...Delicious stuff....

The Macallan is a favourite...Although Laphroaig is high among my Islay malts....

There's actually a bar near my house here in Tachikawa, Tokyo, that offers nothing BUT whiskeys and cigars...They have an entire wall of single malts and others that is worht the visit just for the oogle...The cigar selection is decent too...With a selection of Cuban cigars that really hit the spot for a slow weekend...

If any of you DO end up in Tokyo and want a guide, or just someone to chat Indy with while getting drunk slowly on 18year olds, do let me know....I would be glad to show people my town!!

Ok! Over to you! Let the posting commence!!

Re: Favourite smoke then?

I don't smoke anymore...

I VAPE!!!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

I really wish I could drink whiskey so I could experience the single malts everyone always talks about. A really stupid first time drinking experience at 18 at a party that involved a fifth of Jack and a 12 pack of Budweiser ruined it for me. Just like that the entire whiskey tree and all it's relatives.......gone forever. Can't get near the stuff to this day.

I do love fine tequilas though. Went to Nicaragua a few years ago. Totally amazing experience. Brought back a box of their Cigars and Flores de Cana 21 rum. Absolutely everyone should experience sitting around an outdoor fireplace with a couple of friends for a few hours smoking Nicaraguan cigars and sipping "Vente Uno" at least one time in their life.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I used to enjoy a cigar or two after a night out, back in a hotel bar. Never a smoker apart from that and now that you can't smoke anywhere apart from standing outside, I really don't have the opportunity sadly.

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

Some of my favorite cigars are Belindas - the Vintage Cuban Coronas, in particular, Excalibur X, and Macanudos when I want something lighter.

As for drink, I like Merlots and Cabernets, and if I'm going to go harder, I like vodka, Finlandia, in particular.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

fifthchamber

Decent! DJD, yeah...My friend Steve had said that...He runs a pub, but the laws are so odd that he complains about not being able to easily smoke even there...(He smokes smokes though...So maybe that's a part of it..)

I was always the same as you in that regards (and my dad actually), one cigar lasts me about a half year or so....I don't like to smoke often, since it messes with my fitness, and smoking more often means you lose the "high" that a good cigar can give you...A couple of times yearly and it's still quite a buzz like that..One of the benefits to being slightly less addictive eh?

Wines I enjoy with a decent meal....But honestly, I've never been much of a drinker...Being in Japan and NOT being a drinker is a rather hazardous thing to do, since they LOVE drinking here, and throw it in with any excuse (Cherry blossom? Oh! Drinks! Soccer team won a game? Let's get plastered! Finished Mario? Wow! Drinks then!! Kinda thing..), but I don't usually drink unless I'm with mates... And not many of my mates like drinking enough to bother...It's usually only when Steve comes over from the UK that I "indulge"...LOL..

My girlfriend likes getting me plastered...But she usually ends up slightly drunker than me, which always makes it a fun night...And she doesn't especially hate the cigar taste, so I get away with it..

LOL....Vodka eh? The poitin was like that...No REAL taste as such, just a lovely "aftershock" that really hit hard.....Mind you...95% proof really SHOULD "hit" eh?

It also bleached the floor where it spilled...Impressive..LOL

What about "other than Cuba" cigars then? Anyone have any experience with any decent ones outside of the Davidoff's? I've always tended to stick to what I know I like...Which means it's all been Cuban really...Anyone else?

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table Indiana Bugs's Avatar

I also love hot saki.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - JHP

Bugs, Finlandia is the best vodka available on the market, really. I'm from Poland and I know that from autopsy There is a saying -'It's Poland here and we drink (alcohol) here'. What vodkas have you tasted guys?
    Come here and go to any party - vodka and beer are served in enormous volumes. Even better are self made alcohols, usually over 70%.
    As for beers, local ones are the best for me. I especially love the one with honey.

fifthchamber

Bugs!

Ahhh...Atsukan eh? Warmed Sake? It's lovely.....Although you need the right kind of sake to carry it off...The cheaper types are nasty however hot they get..Heh...There are some lovely shops here actually (obviously) that sell local "Nigori", which is a cloudy sake...Lovely stuff...And imojochu which is Potato Whiskey essentially...Strong, but with a slightly deeper taste than the usual shochu...

I have to admit loving Atsukan myself...It's perfect in winter...And with a really good Ginjo (The higher class of sake here) it's one of the best and tastiest drinks here....Agreed!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table djd's Avatar

I'm a great fan of Zubrowka. I love that herb flavour in the vodka. It's the only vodka I enjoy drinking without a mixer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast