Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber

Whatever happened to the Expedition jacket?

When I first came to be interested in the Raiders jacket a couple years ago the G&B Expedition seemed to be "the" jacket when it came to durability and SA appeal. About the only thing it didn't claim was original maker status. Now it seems to have fallen off the radar completely.

Latest price is just over $500 for lamb so it's certainly in the mid to upper mid-range between an OTR like a Todd's Standard and a Nowak custom.

In the few photos I've seen there has only been one that had any Indy vibe and that was a jacket that had been washed and weathered a bit.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Re: Whatever happened to...

There certainly has been a pretty big swing in what is "in" since I first joined the hobby.

I've had an Expedition (goat) and sold it. What the people say about it being built like the proverbial tank is no understatement. It is one tough leather built into one tough jacket. And it is probably the most comfortable OTR jacket I've ever owned (I recall something about gussets being sewn into the liner as well? something to that effect).

But I just couldn't get passed the leather. While extremely tough, it just doesn't have any character to me. It's too "perfect" if that makes sense. Very smooth and so tough that I couldn't ever see it weathering enough (in the amount of time I would wear it) to ever develop character. You would have to wear no other jacket for years to get any "blemishes" on that thing. It would be a terrific jacket for Indy to wear, but, with my closet having a few extra jackets, it just wasn't one I wanted to keep. Another thing was that it had patch pockets rather than having the handwarmers sewn in. I prefer the latter.

But it is a very good jacket and some people think it's the absolute bee's knees.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

From photos I've seen they are a great jacket. Construction is always reported to be almost too perfect. (only ever read one complaint, something about the collar stand)
    The Goat apparently is the same that is used for USN G1's so I can see how it would be super tough to distress or get wear to show. The USN G1 from what I've read is specc'd for Chrome tanned goat skin. Very tough, very durable finish.
    The inside of the lining of these is made like the G1 with an action pleat provision. I think that's what you mean Crisman?

The inside of the lining of these is made like the G1 with an action pleat provision. I think that's what you mean Crisman?
    That's it, exactly. It is a very comfortable jacket. Like I said, Indy probably would have gotten something like it because even he would have been hard pressed to rough it up. But the hide was just too uniform, too "pristine", with little chance for it to distress, for my tastes.

Still, I might get another some day, just to have one. Another jacket came up that I was wanting so I sold it to gather some funds.

Grizzled Grave Robber

It has certainly seemed to fall off the radar of people really into the gear. Maybe that is simply a result of the ever increasing choices out there. But, again, I think there are lot more jacket that look "more Indy" now. Maybe some leather choices would change that, but there's still something about the cut - especially the sleeves.

Last I heard, they broke the $500 mark, but maybe it didn't stick. I'm sure many retreat from it because of price, especially since it's not going to satisfy the SA itch.

I also think that there's a lot going on in the jacket arena these days. It's hard to know which way to look, there are so many good options now. The Expedition will always have it's fans. I've never been to a summit without seeing at least one. I'd love to own one, but it just never seems to come about for one reason or another.
    Making people uncomfortable since 1973!

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Really for a jacket built the way it is of the quality materials it is, $500 is a very decent price these days.
    I suppose one of the draw backs for sales is most people outside the I-J fan arena just don't know about it, that or many people outside the I-J fan arena are buying it and we just don't see them.
    If you were talking about a quality A-2, there are many out there priced well beyond the $500 mark.
    We are just very lucky to have so many options in this particular jacket style.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

The way things have developed, it seems the expedition is a copy of the Bantu Wind jacket, if we take it that Terry Leonard wore that and we believe the stories that some movie fan had the chance to measure it.

Quote Originally Posted by PLATON
    The way things have developed, it seems the expedition is a copy of the Bantu Wind jacket, if we take it that Terry Leonard wore that and we believe the stories that some movie fan had the chance to measure it.

There may be some basis for this. I've seen the post where the original notes on the jacket were posted (someone here has a copy, I believe) and a lot of the specs did match up. The Expo we see today has some fan changes made to the pattern.

I think the niche of the G&B is for someone that wants a "real world" Indy Jacket where the priority is not to be mega SA but more for utility. It's tough enough to be worn as a motorcycle jacket and very comfortable. If I was going on an Indy type adventure that's the one I'd wear as its relatively light but very tough. I love my Todd's Bantu Wind, sick grain, but out in the elements I'd take the G&B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast