Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Is this the main hero?

In fact the more I look at it, that bend in the zipper appears in the Stars photo as well. Quite possibly the center C photo too... I noticed too that the zipper from that point up appears to be quite straight without any of the typical waviness.

Quote Originally Posted by PLATON View Post

do you think this is the main hero?
    how do you support your opinion?
    It was mentioned that this is from the bar scene. Has that been verified? It looks more like the Temple scene to me. It appears to my eye that this jacket has a thinner hem seam along the action pleat (like the ToD jacket) which really stands out in the movie where Indy reaches around his shoulder to swipe the tarantulas with his whip.

The same bend in the zipper is noticeable in the Imam jacket. I agree with NB that this is the Imam jacket!

In fact I think A, B and C are the same jacket as they all appear to be taken in the same location. This would harmonize with your reasoning on your Imam Jacket thread NB as you mentioned that the temple jacket is the Imam jacket as well.
    Last edited by Ram Man; 05-12-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table neutronbomb's Avatar

My apologies for not replying sooner Ram Man, but I've been busy putting together compares so that even RCSignals will be convinced. These compares (IMHO ) definitively solve the "promo pics" and should also erase any doubt as to the TOD main jacket being the prototype jacket. I guess I can retire after this and sit back and

But to respond to your last post. Yes the Imam Jacket is the temple jacket, but only for part of the entire sequence. The Temple scenes are split up between both The Main Hero Jacket and The Imam Jacket. I have the time frames listed for where each jacket shows up in the three different Raiders jacket threads.

Hey, nice catch on the Imam jacket zipper bend.

I'll get the compares posted up in a bit.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 05-13-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Ok. unfortunately I got too hung up on the left collar/collar stand's general shape of the promo pics. I do address it thoroughly in one of the compares below, but since the Imam jacket doesn't ever present that way in the film I let the way it presents in the promo pics tempt me to the dark side. The shape does appear to match the prototype's as seen in Raiders as my confusing compares and discussion from earlier show, but at closer inspection they really do not. So I apologize to everyone for this error and hope this fixes it. I'm very sorry for this mistake. What really sucks is that I had it right in one of the earlier compares when I compared the Stars photo zipper shape to the Imam's as seen in the "don't go into the light" and the stars photo's undone vent strap to the promo pic's undone vent strap. So in addition to these new compares, there are those earlier compares also that show the jacket used in the promo pics is the Imam jacket.

I have attached the "problem" compare from the Prototype Jacket thread at the bottom of this post for reference. Also, I agree with you. A, B, & C jacket images from the series of promo pics are all of the same jacket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    In fact I think A, B and C are the same jacket as they all appear to be taken in the same location. This would harmonize with your reasoning on your Imam Jacket thread NB as you mentioned that the temple jacket is the Imam jacket as well.

I've basically done three color-coded compares. Showing a macro view of several features, a close-up compare of one feature, and then a micro view compare of that left collar area. They help show how the promo pic that Platon asked about is the Imam Jacket.

The first two images below are of the same compare. Just one with my markups and one without for reference. Shows various features of the Imam Jacket matches the promo pic Platon posted.

Check out the "take note" photo from the first compare above. The "crescent moon" shape (that's how the Imam's left side collar shape looked right outta the box before it was used for filming) that led me astray actually does help to show that all the promo pics are of the same jacket, which allows us to use those various promo pics for matching. This second compare then basically shows the storm flap of the Imam jacket is an exact match to the jacket used for the promo pics.

I found a higher quality def. of the left collar/collar stand area of the Prototype jacket when Terry Leonard is wearing it. It is an absolute perfect match to the main TOD jacket. There can be no doubt. Also, I threw in a photo of the raiders main hero jacket and the Imam jacket for compare and contrasting purposes. As the compare shows, the jacket used in the promo pics is again a perfect match to the Imam. I could have drawn all over the compare showing like a dozen more matches, but held off to just a few to keep it as clean and easy to read as possible. All of them are very excellent. Showing two things: the Prototype jacket from Raiders is the main TOD jacket and that the jacket used for the raiders promo pics are the Imam jacket. But, the one I think that just flat out seals the deal for the jacket used for the promo pics being the Imam jacket is the gap difference between the end of the zipper and the collar stand. The main hero and the prototype do not match this gap as compared to the jacket used in the promo pics, but the Imam's is a perfect match.

An interesting observation I made was in looking at the distance from the zipper to the edge of the storm flap. I increased the size (not part of the compare) of one of the Imam jacket's photos as seen in the Hawaii scene I used in the compare to match the size of the one I used for the raiders main hero and that distance looks exactly the same to me. However, in every single way I tried, The Prototype Jacket's distance from the zipper to the edge of the storm flap looks much, much smaller. For this third compare, I again included an unmarked up image of the same compare for reference like I did above for my first one. Hopefully the color coding should be self evident.

Problem compare. And the answer now is..no. Not the same left side collar/collar stand.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 05-13-2015 at 05:57 PM.

After a couple of really good scotches and scratching my balding head only one thing confuses me. It's clear that the prototype jacket is the ToD jacket but the flat left collar on the Imam jacket has me second guessing if it is the promo jacket....I'm sooo confused!! I reread your post to see if I missed something. Not sure if you can retire yet
    I still have no doubt that A, B, and C plus the Stars jacket are the same.
    Last edited by Ram Man; 05-15-2015 at 12:20 AM.

I realise that you addressed the left collar issue at the outset but I guess I'm having trouble clarifying it. Are you saying that the collar behaves differently in different scenes? Everything else about the jacket seems to match the promo jacket pics!!
    Last edited by Ram Man; 05-15-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Yes but look at the Temple of doom prototype jacket. The left side collar has also flattened out. I think that over time the collars tend to flatten out. All of my jackets have despite my best attempts. Look at the right side of the imams during the imam scene. Upright. But by the end of filming during the Hawaii shoot it has fallen.
    Last edited by neutronbomb; 05-15-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table Kt Templar's Avatar

To add a fly into the ointment. The NH ToD jacket has a distinctive difference to the way the collar is constructed, and it can only be seen on Wested ToD's or other makers ones that have be reverse engineered from it. The collar does not have a separate stand piece of leather inside the collar. It is a single piece with just a stitch to separate the collar from the 'stand' part.

If any of the Raiders jacket can be seen to have a proper inner collar stand (such as the Flying Wing jacket, and the Raven Bar) It cannot be the ToD jacket.
    "Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Ok I'm back on track. Thanks for the clarification and your hard work on the compares as well! I know all of this takes much time but it is appreciated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast