Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

My New Idol Pedestal from Raiders...

Good afternoon,

I was in need of a screen accurate idol pedestal for a short film I have been working on...So I called my buddy Brett, and together we built this.

Pedestal measures about 37 1/2 inches tall...40" round at the base...Made of coated EPS foam. 8 separate layers of painting/washes to get the right depth and texture.

Here's the rundown of the build.

1. Pedestal was cut from EPS foam on a hot wire turntable...Each layer cut separately...Top diameter was 29" and bottom base was 40"...I believe the wire was set at an angle of 84 degrees.
    2. Once all pieces were cut, they were stacked up accordingly and the designs were drawn on with marker...Then carved into the foam before coating.
    3. Hard coat layer was brushed on...Followed by another "texture" layer. Hard coating had a nice medium grey color.

I really wanted the paint to show multiple layers and have some depth...Here's what I did, in order:

1. light mist with grey and dark brown primer
    2. black wash brushed on (wiped off with old t-shirt)
    3. sponge paint dark grey
    4. sponge paint light grey
    5. sponge paint dark grey (again)
    6. brown wash from spray bottle
    7. black wash from spray bottle (wiped off with old t-shirt)

I also varied it a little for both the base, and the top disk...The thought was that those pieces may have been carved from different rocks.

Then I wanted the moss area to have a little extra punch as well, so I thought I would replicate short moss that you sometimes see growing on the side of rocks...For that I simply took some green ground cover used in model railroads, along with some spray adhesive, and voila...Turned out pretty cool, and gave a nice base for the spanish moss. Finally, I finished it off with two different colors of Spanish Moss from Hobby Lobby.

So...What do you guys think? Did we do OK?

Any comments and/or criticisms welcome.

Jason

Sultan of Shovels Knight of the Round Table K-Wad's Avatar

Re: My New Idol Pedestal from Raiders...

That looks great!

Now you just need to find a way to make the thing rumble and shake if the idol is removed.

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table

Great work, and great write up.

Very nice work. Which idol replica is that?

That's the sideshow idol sitting on top...

I was hoping to get one that was a little more accurate for the shoot, but this one fit the budget.

Jason