Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table Gunslinger's Avatar

Re: ROTLA - film jacket leather?

Well, Y is right next to T.
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these." ~ Jake Chambers

Grizzled Grave Robber Knight of the Round Table crismans's Avatar

Re: ROTLA - film jacket leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Kt Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger
    By yields do you mean a lot of the skins came in with with unusable characteristics like holes, etc.?

Putting past politics aside, what's your take on these old hides of Peter's and Tony's? Are they really impossible to replicate? I mean, the absolute closest I've seen to the chest panel of the jacket above, frankly, is my own recent Nowak, but it doesn't quite look as close to the main jacket as Tony's 30 year old shrunken lamb.

Duncan, I know you've spoken of that hide before - so your input would be good as well - as would Bryan's come to think of it - it'd be great to get some sort of consensus...
    Well for one they were quite small so big back panel was proving hard to get. And yes some holes. I actually think their cutter rejected a lot of the stuff we are looking for! Grainy bits, and tight wrinkly bits! all the jerky stuff basically.
    And wouldn't that be the rub? You can see the cutter getting rid of that stuff, not realizing a bunch of us crazies would want it.

Might be idea to ask these questions in the Wested area actually.

Maybe we can persuade him to utilise some of the more exotic parts of the shrunken sheep/lamb for a few special cases.
    That is certainly a possibility and one definitely worth checking into. That oil-pulled cowhide I had my Temple made in is some of the nicest leather I've gotten from Wested.
    Out here not knowing a dang thing.

Artifact Aficionado Knight of the Round Table

The shrunken myth

I am tired of seeing this photo.
    What do we know.... and what we don't know..
    Shrunken? or do we all need a shrink? Don't know...

What bothers me, is that I don't see this kind of 'bubbles' on the jacket at any other time during the film. (Do you?)
    So, are those features of the leather? or are they the result of heavy distressing by the wardrobe crew?

What do you guys think?

Grizzled Grave Robber

Re: The shrunken myth

I've never gotten much into leather related discussions as too much seems to be read into things at times. In this case, however, I've seen way more than enough evidence to say those "bubbles" are not the result of distressing by the costume people. If they are, let's see someone, anyone, duplicate that effect through distressing!

As to seeing the bubbles or scales or shrunken grain effects, yes, watch the opening Hawaii scenes and you can certainly see some texture on that jacket to suggest it is not just smooth lamb or even simply distressed leather. I don't offer that as proof but as answer to your question of do I see it.

The striation marking is the 'ribbiness' inherent in the leather, most usually associated with the merino sheep skin, not distressing.
    They are clearly seen again here in the Raven Bar jacket.
    Look at the right chest panel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That specific photo circulates a lot because it's the clearest shot available of the effect. But if you watch the jacket carefully, those marks are visible in numerous scenes. I don't think it's "shrunken" hide. I've seen enough photos of the shrunken hides to say that this is not the effect. Also, I doubt distressing would do this, except by natural means from lots of wearing, of bad leather.

Every piece of leather will be different, but apparently the right leather will have these sorts of marks, which become more prominent with age and use. My bet is, the "bubbling" became obvious during filming, as combined result of distressing, leather quality, type of leather, and the severe rigors of use in the film.
    Making people uncomfortable since 1973!

bendingoak

I know people have tread distressing their jacket but most of the time it's with authentic lamb of Wested. I have never seen anyone use a shrunken lamb jacket. My questio or thought is. What if it's a combination of shrunken lamb and a knife being scraped across the surface?

Thoughts?

i would say those shrunken hide markings are inherent in the wings latest offering......also, if anyone has that pic of one of the 30 year old hides that was in possession of big tony....the markings were there too.

i believe those markings are imperfections in the hide. before i thought they were the result of DN's distressing efforts via HF's pocket knife.....till i saw what can be produced from certain kinds of tanning processes on lamb and sheep.
    currently on day 9 of my "20 days in the cooler".

Quote Originally Posted by bendingoak
    I know people have tread distressing their jacket but most of the time it's with authentic lamb of Wested. I have never seen anyone use a shrunken lamb jacket. My questio or thought is. What if it's a combination of shrunken lamb and a knife being scraped across the surface?

Thoughts?
    my guess is that you would wreck/slice the hide before you get that effect with a knife. those marks look too close to rib marks that i have seen in imperfect hides. well 'imperfect' to the majority of the consumers out there

i would assume that markings such as these are discarded in the same manner that no one wants to wear the animals face on their shoulder :laugh:
    currently on day 9 of my "20 days in the cooler".

bendingoak

I just looked into another thread where someone shows tones 30 year old shrunken lamb and I now take back my thoughts. It's thebleather not the distressing.

Forget what the crazy ol' hatter said.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast