PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to Schubert and My Raiders Idol Grab

deadseascrolls
04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, after a long overdue, I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures of my Schubert "Raiders Idol Grab" Fedora. I'd like to first and foremost give a big shout out of thanks to Indiana Blooze for being willing enough to work with me and, ultimately, selling me this wonderful hat. I was kind of worried after I sent him the money that it wouldn't have much of Kurt's original handiwork left in it as far as the bash goes because Rick posted a thread here on his one trip with it where it got soaked to the core in a rainstorm. After being reassured by Rick that the only thing he did to the hat after that storm was slightly rework the front pinch a little, I waited with eager anticipation of its arrival.

And all I can say is "WOW!" :o Everything about the hat is phenominal. The felt is as close to the Magnoli Herbert Johnson felt I've ever seen and to be honest, the felt of Kurt's hats could be made into ANY authentic replica of the first 3 film hats - it's that good. The ribbon is identical to the one seen on film and to the original Herbert Johnson's - again, something which I've rarely seen in hat vendors. The bash is still really nice. All in all, I knew that Kurt's hats were the cream of the crop, but I'm still shocked at just how wonderful this hat is!

Following are some pictures of the hat in its current form. I've also attached the overlays Rick forwarded to me that Kurt used in designing the hat. If you guys don't mind, could you take a look at the different views of the hat versus the overlays and screen-used one and let me know if you see anything that needs tweaking to be more accurate? I'm hoping to keep this in my permanent collection (and therefore, it won't be used for daily wear) but if you know me, you know that my standards of accuracy are quite high and as Kurt isn't reblocking and bashing his hats anymore, I don't want to disturb the design of the hat much as this is an investment hat and if I go ahead and rework the hat, I've lost Kurt's work and that's what I paid for in this hat.

Anyways - a tribute to Kurt, Rick (Blooze) and my Schubert Raiders Idol Grab:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/Idol-Grab-Blooze-Overlays-80pc.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/001.jpg
The hat on my head - I love the look!

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/003.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/008.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/002.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/010.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/012.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/009.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/011.jpg

Gunslinger
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the praise, mate. But if I could make a suggestion - I think the brim has drooped too much for whatever reason, and is now looking very SoC, but it can be easily perked up / re-stiffened to more like how I originally set it. There are 2 parts to this.

Part 1: Just get a kettle where you can hold the button down to get continuous steam, and CAREFULLY run the steam under the brim for about a quarter section at a time. You have to be careful to tilt it back so the steam hits close to the brim break but flows AWAY from the centre of the hat - so it flows out past the edge of the brim. Anyway, run it back and forth slowly on a given quarter-section for about 15 seconds or so and then quickly pull that section of the brim lengthways tightly. This will stretch it out so as to help remove the droopy curve coming out from the brim break. Then, also as fast as you can, pinch in a new brim break and tighten it up. Repeat this as needed around the hat.

Part 2: You will now have a hat with an outer brim that looks warped, so just repeat the steaming further out towards the edge of the brim, and straighten it out, shaping it upwards at the sides / back as you go. It becomes very accurately pliable, so you can put in all the little warps, etc as you see in the movie. The part over your left ear should end up with more of a "curl", while the right side should have the more straight-poking brim. You get that by putting the hat on your head and basically face-palming the front of the brim flat against your face. Push it flat to your face and then just drag your hand flat across to your right ear, with the brim being crushed under it until you kind of run out of folded brim. When you're done, the brim will look like the above Idol Grab shot, but it's just a matter of tweaking.

djd
04-21-2011, 07:29 PM
There must have been a huge amount of trial and error in working out how to do that Kurt? No wonder it took so long for someone to make a really good replica raiders hat!

Gunslinger
04-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Actually most of that particular stuff I found out on my first hat blocking. Once you take the plunge and have a very hot, very sodden felt hat body in your hands and you're aware it's losing pliability by the second, you lose any sense of reverence for it and just do what you've gotta do to get the damn thing to the right shape! :D

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
04-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Thanks for posting this, Kurt. I have been searching for just this kind of info... I should have just asked you :doh: (or paid better attention while you bashed mine)
:banllama:

Gunslinger
04-23-2011, 04:12 AM
No problem mate. Just give me a yell if you need anything.

deadseascrolls
04-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Gunslinger,

Thanks for your post of this information. Unfortunately, even though I own a hat, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to brim breaks, lengthwise on the brim, etc so I think I'll probably pass this information onto a hatter and commission someone to work on the hat for me.

As I've mentioned, I bought the hat as an investment piece and just don't want to ruin it and see my money go down the drain. Every item I buy relating to Indiana Jones is an investment and I don't buy it just because I like it. So I've never worked on a hat before as I've never wanted to ruin or spend money that could ultimately result in me ruining the hat when I even consider $50 a huge amount to invest into something.

Does that mean I probably shouldn't be in this hobby - probably - but when it takes me months to make enough money to afford even a $100 hat and with a lack of return on items I've bought in the past, I just would rather have it done right than risk ruining it. Don't get me wrong, I've had a great desire to start a hattery business, but where I'm located at, there isn't anyone close to me that works with hats to apprentice under and I just don't have the funds to invest in some "experimental" hats to work on.

So if anyone reading this would be interested in doing what Kurt has mentioned to the hat and is confident in doing it right, let me know via a PM. I'd work to help you get some cash into your pocket and help you hone your skills all at the same time.

Thanks again!

Gunslinger
04-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Mate, I'm happy to re-shape it for you for free - it'd literally be a 5 minute job - but the main issue is getting it to me here in Australia and back. I don't know the cost of postage from the US to here, but the postage back is about $70 these days.

deadseascrolls
04-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Mate, I'm happy to re-shape it for you for free - it'd literally be a 5 minute job - but the main issue is getting it to me here in Australia and back. I don't know the cost of postage from the US to here, but the postage back is about $70 these days.

Hey Kurt,

I hope my response to your kindness wasn't taken as anger or resentment towards you - quite the contrary sir! I really don't think I could ever even begin to demean a person of such talent and dedication to giving us fans a chance to own a heck of a hat. So rest assured - I have the greatest respect for you and hope you didn't take my response with offense. If you did, I apologize.

I will definitely do some research into shipping costs from Australia to the US as I'd love to have the creator work on one of his masterpieces. I know it'll cost about $40 to ship from here to Australia, so if it costs somewhere in there, I really wouldn't have that much of a problem.

I may see if John understands the directions (see? Man, I can't believe I wrote that in question of him :rolleyes:) and how much he would charge to do that. It might be cheaper to commission someone locally. If I can't find anyone, I will definitely keep your offer in mind and hope it will still be valid in the future.

Take care Kurt and thanks again for everything! Always a pleasure sir.

djd
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
The weather here has finally been nice enough to wear my Schubert soc hat out and about. I really enjoyed doing so and it looks pretty cool coupled with shorts and a tank-top! It was really windy a couple of days but the hat fits so well that it didn't blow off once. Great hat