PDA

View Full Version : US Wings Collector's Edition Jacket - Rubbing Leather Problem

deadseascrolls
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I realize that one of the purposes and looks of an Indy jacket IS for it to look all rubbed and scratched up, but I've been one who likes the "film" look to my jackets, in that I DON'T want them to look beat up and tough.

As my subject shows, I have a US Wings Collector's Edition jacket which I love to death. Right off the bat, though, I wasn't entirely pleased with a few features of it. One, is the leather itself. A lot of other people have complained about this, that the leather seems dry and like it has a weird coating to it. I've noticed this as well and, truthfully, it drives me crazy at times. Second, is the pre-distressing of the leather. The factory that makes these pre-distresses them with scratch marks evenly distributed throughout the body of the jacket. That's fine, but what happened yesterday really upsets me yet. As I was walking through the house with the jacket on, I happened to rub against a corner of a hutch of ours. Knowing it was a pretty substantial rub, I took off the jacket and, lo and behold, there were two pretty distinct rubbing marks to the back of the jacket. To most, it's not much of anything, but to an OCD person like me, having to see that bothers me.

So I'm curious to know what can be done for both the leather and the rubbing marks. I've heard that most people use Pecards, but I really don't want to darken the jacket any more than it already is naturally. However, for as dry as the jacket feels already, I know something's going to have to be done fairly soon. Also, I really don't care for the distressing marks, and especially for the ones I've made myself. I know that more of that is yet to come as it really wouldn't pay to own a jacket if one wasn't going to use it, but I just feel that these marks take away from the CS look we see in the film. And granted, the jackets seen on him were distressed, but I've yet to see these particular blemishes on those jackets.

Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated as many of you have owned your jackets much longer than I have and have needed to pamper them from time to time.

Thanks!

Zane
04-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Maybe try Lexol? It will darken the jacket but guaranteed to remove all scratch marks. I bought Lexol for $12 at my local hardwear store.

Barney Ross
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
......., but I've been one who likes the "film" look to my jackets, in that I DON'T want them to look beat up and tough.

I don't understand,....you like the "film" look, yet you don't like it to look like it does in the film?

BR

deadseascrolls
04-10-2011, 01:38 AM
......., but I've been one who likes the "film" look to my jackets, in that I DON'T want them to look beat up and tough.

I don't understand,....you like the "film" look, yet you don't like it to look like it does in the film?

BR

I can understand your confusion Barney and I'll try to clarify as best as I can. If you're familiar with the Wings CE leather, it's the same leather as used on the film jackets. However, they've (Wings) distressed the leather with various scratch marks on it. This makes the jacket's leather look uneven. Now the film jackets - they look perfect in my opinion. No wear that I could ever see to the jacket, no scrape marks, no blemishes, just nice marbling as can be seen in new Nowak jackets. The only time I saw a hint of a rubbing mark was when Ford was crawling up the pivoting Mayan disc in the cemetery. There, you could see that his elbows were rubbing against and scuffing up. But skip, let's say, to the back of the Russian truck where Marion, Indy, and Mutt are and to me, it looks like a perfect leather jacket again.

So what I'm trying to get at is that from what I understand of movies and such, they wanted Indy's outfit for most times to look as good as it could, and so if anything happened to a jacket, they switched it out with a nice, brand new/lightly distressed one. I know that no one has access to 50 different jackets if one gets a slight scuff to it, but I'd just like a way of trying to keep my jacket looking new without blemishes as possible.

Does that make sense? And please, with all sincerity, let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to figure out another way of getting my point across. :)

Raider S
04-10-2011, 02:09 AM
The only thing you can do is accept it and learn to appreciate that leather ages/changes/distresses because it's a natural product and those qualities are what actually makes it better with age. If not, the only other option is to not wear it and just look at it, i.e. it becomes a worthless object.

deadseascrolls
04-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Thanks Raider S for your input. Many people have also provided that same insight, but I just wanted to run it by people who've not only worked more with leather jackets, but know more than I do period to see what's recommended for leather care, moisturizer (wrong term, but anything that keeps the leather from drying out), and making the leather look glossy and new again.

I'm pretty new with high-quality leather jackets and, as you're probably aware yourself, they're an expensive investment. So I just want to see how best to take care and enjoy my jacket for the longest time possible. :)

Thanks again! I appreciate your input.

Raider S
04-10-2011, 02:44 AM
The best thing would be to get a can of Pecards Leather Dressing and treat the jacket with that. Do that once a year, say in the spring or fall, and that should be all you need to do. Try not to hang the jacket either; you can leave marks in the shoulder area if it sits on a hanger for too long. I throw mine on the floor of the closet.

RCSignals
04-10-2011, 03:11 AM
I thought the USWings collectors edition used the same leather from the same tannery as the KotCS jacket. What you are describing doesn't sound like the same leather.

Weston
04-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Any chance we could see a picture? It might help.

Weston

kramstaar
04-10-2011, 06:38 AM
However, they've (Wings) distressed the leather with various scratch marks on it. This makes the jacket's leather look uneven.

I think this point is the core of the question posted…

The problem I also have with most pre-distressed jackets is that it simply looks as if the supplier has taken them, rolled them up and driven over them repeatedly with a steam roller on a gravel road. The resulting distressing is not natural and the random scratches and points of wear makes the distressing look contrived…

The iconic Indy jacket seems more naturally aged and thus more pleasing to the eye. Now there are some especially talented folk on these boards who can age the jacket to perfection but for the rest of use mere mortals its a far more difficult task. In my opinion, the finish on most of the Wings jackets is very helpful because they take wear and rub naturally.

In the end, I agree with some of the comments here and that is to let it get beaten up on its own. It won't take long especially if the jacket is worn often and worn hard.

Good luck and as Weston said, lets see some pictures…

Kind regards

MARK

djd
04-10-2011, 07:50 AM
It's also the big difference between the Raiders jacket (and ToD in my opinion) and the LC and CS jackets. In the first two films the jackets look genuinely old. In the third film the jacket looks very artificial compared to the first two. In CS the jacket looks like a new jacket made out of a predistressed hide. Just my opinion.

Tibor
04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Absolutely agree... Raiders had the most natural aging. TOD was natural given the soaking it got. LC was a sandpaper job as clearly, no jacket wears only on seams, and all seams, and CS was absolutely pre-distressed with no evidence of wear-induced aging.

As much as I like Tony's work, it was his Raiders jackets that I admire, not the CS ones that Bernie spec'ed.

Kazim
04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree, the Raiders jacket looked like a jacket that has survived alot of wear while the LC distressing was a hatchet job. No naturally worn jacket has wear on every linear inch of seam like that. One reason why I don't buy anything pre distressed, can't stand it. Just wear the *&^% out of it, and eventually it will look good.

deadseascrolls
04-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas!

I'll try to get some pics up this afternoon or in the next couple of days of my jacket and the spot I mentioned.

As for buying pre-distressed stuff, I'm finding that I'm agreeing more and more with Kazim's reasoning behind buying it - it just doesn't look that good. One problem I have with US Wings when it came to that Collector's Edition jacket is not offering it in both new and pre-distressed or just eliminating the pre-distressed all-together. With such a rare leather being used on these jackets from the same tannery as those used in Nowak's jackets, to distress it artificially just seems like a waste in calling it a "Collector's Edition". After all, most collector's want items that old, but still pristine to display if they can find it.

However, despite my criticism of US Wings over this jacket, I'll admit I'm guilty as I ordered another one of this same jacket from them during Christmas-time last year. But, in seeing how nice Wested does in making jackets and how practically everyone who owns or has owned one swears by them, and seeing how nice the Copper Novapelle really mimics the CS look, and being that the jacket will be NEW and not Pre-distressed, etc etc etc, I'm thinking of now cancelling my order with Wings and trying my luck with Wested as I STILL haven't gotten my ordered jacket. :mad:

Any suggestions on cowhides for Wested? Again, I'm going for CS all the way.

Thanks!

RCSignals
04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
the leather of the KotCS jacket isn't 'pre-distressed' in the usual sense of that term. the leather does have a finish that is more open and scratches/marks easily. Even the sewing machine would mark it. US wings may have done some distressing I don't know.
The movie jackets were apparently distressed by wardrobe. That distressing wasn't as dramatic as the Raiders or Tod jackets at least as it shows on screen.
When people complained to Tony about their CS jacket marking he'd tell them to rub the area on itself and the mark would be lessened. (He found humour in such complaints, as people would talk about letting their jackets distress with use then complain when it did)
You could try that DSS, then just wear the jacket and let it mark up/distress as you use it.

deadseascrolls
04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks RC!

I will definitely give that a try!!!

I was wondering - what's anybody's experience with Pecard's Leather "Lotion"?

Thanks again to all!

Kt Templar
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
DSS Copper novapelle is perfect for a CS.

deadseascrolls
04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Update:

Yesterday I tried your guys' suggestions about rubbing a part of the jacket against the spots I mentioned that were scuffed to see if the scuffs blended in. Unfortunately they must be too deep that the rubbing didn't help at all.

I'm very tentative to use Pecards on the spots, but am trying to steel myself to do it. If I do, I think I'll just put a very light dab of it on my index finger and lightly dab it on the spot. Better to gradually add more than do too much right away.

Also, I was thinking of doing that same process but ordering Pecards leather lotion instead. Any real difference between the lotion and dressing?

I know, though, that :pics: and I'll try to get some up shortly.

RCSignals
04-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Any chance you could take a photo of the area in question?

deadseascrolls
04-19-2011, 03:12 AM
I know, though, that :pics: and I'll try to get some up shortly.

Yep RC, I will try as soon as possible, hence my self-realization I wrote above.

Garzo
04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
I also own a US Wings Collector's Edition Jacket but never found that the pre-distressed hide seemed somehow additionally distressed by US Wings. Actually, I can't imagine US Wings would go to all that trouble -- you'd think that would really increase the price if they were spending time re-distressing a distressed hide. And my jacket is pretty evenly distressed. The way it's distressed leaves the leather very dry so it can easily scratch or get marked by rubbing it against something.
Having said all that, I have treated the jacket several times with different types of leather conditioners, including Effax, Leather Oil by Montana Pitch Blend and a Tea Tree Oil petroleum-based jelly vaseline made for dry skin. The jacket is now very dark and a bit shiny and looks very different than it did originally.

deadseascrolls
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello Garzo,

Thanks for your input. I've been reading about that from other people as well regarding treating their CE jacket but wanted to check here as well to help confirm.

I'd love to see some pics of your jacket, if possible, with before's and DEFINITELY now with the after-effect. I guess, if I can help it, I wouldn't want to change the color of the jacket much as I think the overall color of it is perfect.

Garzo
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I'll try to post some pics of its soon, although I don't think I have any of the way it was brand new, but I imagine it was just like yours is now. It's US Wings' special KOTC-leather-factory hide.

Zane
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I'll try to post some pics of its soon, although I don't think I have any of the way it was brand new, but I imagine it was just like yours is now. It's US Wings' special KOTC-leather-factory hide.

I would like to see pictures too! I own one as well, and I don't really like the look of the leather. If pecards could darken the jacket a little I would love it. I'll wait to see your pictures.

Garzo
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Here are a few quick shots I took today of the US Wings Collectors Edition Vintage Cowhide, well lubed:

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/deGarzo/IMG_0735.jpg
http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/deGarzo/IMG_0728.jpg
http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/deGarzo/IMG_0729.jpg

deadseascrolls
04-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks Garzo for your pictures of your well-lubed CE jacket. It looks like the Pecards did exactly as other people have said theirs did - turn it more of a mahogany and purplish hue rather than actually making it a darker brown. I really like the shine of the jacket though as it looks more like the film one in that regard than the matte finish that it currently comes in which makes it look kind of dry.

I may try a dab of Pecards on an inconspicuous area of my jacket, but I don't think I'll go the route of Pecarding my whole jacket after seeing the pictures. Which is why I wanted to see them.

So thanks Garzo - your time and effort have helped me in my decision. Most appreciated!

crismans
04-21-2011, 02:01 AM
The good thing about the Pecards is that its effects will fade over time. So, if you use it and don't like the look, the effect will fade back to the original leather color. If you do like it, then you just have to reapply when the effect begins to lessen. I've put Pecards on my TN CS and it darkens up noticeably but lightens up again. Pretty quickly actually.

deadseascrolls
04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
The good thing about the Pecards is that its effects will fade over time. So, if you use it and don't like the look, the effect will fade back to the original leather color. If you do like it, then you just have to reapply when the effect begins to lessen. I've put Pecards on my TN CS and it darkens up noticeably but lightens up again. Pretty quickly actually.

Do you have any "before" and "after" and "after a little time from pecarding" pics? If so, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

Zane
04-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Garzo,

Your jackets looks awesome! Thanks for the pictures, I'm definatley doing this to my jacket!