PDA

View Full Version : RelicMaker's Cross of Coronado

kramstaar
08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I recently acquired one of RelicMaker's Cross of Coronado replica's. Its a beautiful piece and I had to think long and hard before I finally decided to 'dirty it down' because Brenton's work is SO good, the act of ageing the Cross could be considered sacrilegious.. In the end I felt what makes the Cross so appealing (to me at any rate) is the fact that its a relic so I decided to dull it down and work in a bit of grime so that it looked more the part.

One strange thing did worry me though and that was the amount of detail I could see in the blue inlay around the pearls. Not that this is wrong, its just that I felt - while looking at the movie - that the extremities of the Cross tended to look more gold as they reflected the light thus flattening out the detail substantially. So, aside from making it look older, I was also keen to see if I could give the impression of less detail in those areas while still retaining the screen accurate tooling.

I used acrylic paint for all the ageing: Cadmium Yellow Medium, Naphol Red Light and Black for the grime then, for the dulling down, I used Rich Gold acrylic and a touch of Burnished Copper acrylic to add a little kick of red in places.

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/MR_Cross005.jpg

I first dulled down the gold surfaces using the acrylic Gold paint and after it was dry, I carefully rubbed away some of the paint in a few areas - especially on the Christ figure legs and torso - to expose the bright gold plating. I used the gold acrylic as a semi-translucent wash around the pearls which left a sheen of gold when viewed from one angle but you can clearly see the blue through the gold wash when viewing the Cross from other angles. This solved my dilemma of the (sometimes) unwanted extra blue detail in those areas.

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/MR_Cross007.jpg

Using a mixture of the red, yellow and black I started with a light wash in the crevasses and the ridges slowly building up thicker layers - especially under the figure where dirt is more likely to have gathered. Like Michael I also used the wash to detail the writing at the back. In addition to this, I added light brush strokes of the copper in places so the Cross has some of the tarnishing seen in the Archives book (this is not strictly accurate as far as gold goes but I felt that limited use of the copper added character AND it conformed to the original prop as seen in the publication).

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/MR_Cross001.jpg

The lighting in this picture shows how well the dulling down worked

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/MR_Cross002.jpg

This detail shows how when viewed from certain angles, the blue detail around the pearls is transformed into a semi transparent gold

Once again I would like to Brenton for making this magnificent piece of art available.

Kind regards

MARK

Raider S
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Excellent looking display! Great job on the weathering.

Nefarious
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
very well done and great attention to detail......it looks like it should 'belong in a museum' ;)

btw....cool chachapoyan (sp?) idol with the real eyes :)

Kt Templar
08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
That is a thing of beauty.

Get thee to a museum.

jasonalun
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
As a modeling hobbyist who weathers things a lot for accuracy, I tip my hat to you, sir! Excellent job! I wish you had included a "before" picture though so I could see just how good! It looks so natural, it doesn't look "worked on" - which is what you want of course. Thanks for posting this!

crismans
08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I have come so close to pulling the trigger on one of RelicMaker's great crosses but something else always seemed to be commanding my attention. But they are terrific and your great job of weathering takes them to another level. Like Dr. Jones said, it looks totally natural.

RCSignals
08-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Excellent work Mark. You have a great eye for this and your choice of colour and tint could not have been better

kramstaar
08-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Many thanks for all the kind words and for the warm welcome - I sincerely appreciate the support.

For anyone who's debating acquiring this piece all I can say is don't hesitate, if its still available grab it with both hands. Its a fantastic prop - beautifully modelled, the perfect size and weight and professionally plated. Even the smallest detail has been addressed like the tiny copper chain you use to weave the two bigger chains together

Dr Jones, here is the prop as posted by RelicMaker. As you can see truly a thing of beauty:

http://propandartifact.com/Images/CrossFinal1.jpg

Kind regards

MARK

Gunslinger
08-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Cheers to you and Relicmaker both.

crismans
08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to set some funds aside for that one. Terrific work by Relimaker and great weathering job by yourself.